Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some morning rides are more interesting than others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad I haven't had that happen to me before. I did meet up with a deer hiding behind a deer warning sign but I was able to get past him without doing anything.

I don't have the skill to even swerve around a car coming at me in my lane (I think most bikers eat it on the recorrection anyway) so I know I couldn't take on a raft of deer.

Steve

Comment

"Oh dear" that was a close one

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
        "Oh dear" that was a close one
        Don't you mean, "Oh Deer" that was a close one?

Comment

Very punny, Atilla!

Comment

Steve said " Most riders eat it on the recorrection"

Hi Steve I had to pop my two bobs worth in. I've had a heap of time to study accidents stats , and the problem with most situations is that we hit the car we are looking at.
            It's not the recorrection its what we look at. Ironic that we all know "where we look is where we go!" then we look at the car or whatever the problem is . It's commonly known as Target Fixation. It's literally been the death of many a rider . To look away fro the problem will steer the bike in that direction , only problem is we are all saying #$@%!
            look at that !! at the time we should be looking for an exit!
            More Practice with counter steering I say!!

cheers katana

Comment

Not a chance. I was too damm busy. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Sebby
              But I just have to ask....were your eyes closed at anytime during this "Dances with Deers" episode ????
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: Some morning rides are more interesting than others.

Originally posted by earlfor
                I left about 8 am this Sunday morning for a ride headed northeast from Naples Fl, around the east side of Lake Ocheechobee and then back south on the west side of the lake. It was to be a relaxing wandering through 300 miles of orange groves in blossom, country roads, farms and lakefront. For the most part, it was. :-) I was cruising along around 9am on a narrow, deserted farm road with thick overgrowth on both sides to within 25 feet of the pavement. All was serene. :-) Until................
                A bush exploded on my left and two deer bounded out to cross the road about 40 feet in front of me. It was immediately obvious that if something didnt change, we would converge VERY SOON. It wasnt possible to stop before I reached them, so I jumped on both brakes and swerved hard left towards the deer. It was the one place I could count on them not being when I got there. The next thing I see is the same bush exploding again and another pair of deer heading my way. Deer #1 made it across in front of me easily, deer#2 just barely cleared and I could have patted her on the rump as she passed. Number#3 was 20 feet behind her and he was going to T-bone me broadside, so I nailed the throttle, swerved back hard right and ducked flat on the tank. Number #3 jumped over the bike, clearing me by an easy 2 feet. Number 4 went by a couple feet behind my rear tire. The whole event probably only took about 1 1/2 seconds, but it sure did seem like deer would be coming forever. :-) :-) Time stopped and I got a close look at those four faces so I'll recognize them the next time. :-) :-) :-) A little while later, I remembered to start breathing again. eh eh eh

It rather reminds me of that old Roger Miller song, "You cant motorcycle in a deer herd".

Earl

Just think Earl, ifyou had been on an 1150 you could have cranked the throttle and have left them in the dust.

Comment

Well David, I'll be on an 1150 very soon, but I'll do my best to keep it away from deer. I just hate deer dents. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by David Price

Just think Earl, ifyou had been on an 1150 you could have cranked the throttle and have left them in the dust.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well David, I'll be on an 1150 very soon, but I'll do my best to keep it away from deer. I just hate deer dents. :-) :-) :-)

Earl
                    Earl Dude!!! Are you gonna become an 1150 powerhound too ?8O
                    Dink

Comment

:-) :-) Yes Dink, I've been lusting after one of those sexy ladies for quite some time and I found THE one! :-) I'll be keeping the 750 though.

Earl

Originally posted by Dink
                      Earl Dude!!! Are you gonna become an 1150 powerhound too ?8O
                      Dink

Comment

Earl

Originally posted by David Price

Earl............we welcome you to the 1150 brotherhood of ultimate power.
                        Rick...........

Comment

Let me be the second to congratulate you :?
                          Another one corrupted to ultimate power!!!!
                          Dink
                          BTW if I can help with any info etc. let me know. I have the factory manual for this model as well as my Kat

Comment

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to becoming close friends with this lady. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Richard Ellis

Earl............we welcome you to the 1150 brotherhood of ultimate power.
                            Rick...........

Comment

Thanks for the info and help offer Dink. For sure, I'll be taking you up on it, I just dont know when exactly. :-) :-) Uhhh, you trying to tell me I should practice holding on? heh heh heh I'm hoping to be able to pick it up on the 19th of April .........I can hardly stand the wait. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Dink
                              Let me be the second to congratulate you :?
                              Another one corrupted to ultimate power!!!!
                              Dink
                              BTW if I can help with any info etc. let me know. I have the factory manual for this model as well as my Kat

Comment

I haven?t had any close calls with deer on a bike though I did have on take out the Radiator on a 1960 Ford Fairlane. I have had a few close calls with Elk and had one take me off on my way to work.

It was about 14 years ago and I was heading into work in Los Alamos coming from Jemez Springs on NM 4. It was about 4:30 in the morning on a Saturday so there wasn?t much traffic. I was just cruising at about 60 as it was an extremely dark morning and I was riding an old Triumph Bonneville Special, which still proved Lucas Electrics were powered by the Prince of Darkness. Even when everything was in perfect working order the headlight was only slightly better than a birthday cake candle.

The road is a two-lane mountain road running through the forest. I came around a bend while climbing a hill and saw a yellow Nova almost stopped in the lane. I knew the car and driver and so I knew he was on his way in to work at the Post office in Los Alamos. His Nova smoked and had trouble making the hills so I thought he was just having trouble with the hill.

I went to pass and when I was even with the front of his car I saw an airborne Elk coming across the front of his car and my bars. I had slowed down when I spotted the car so I was probably only going 40 or so. I hit the brakes and launched myself off the bike, tried to slap the sides of the Elk to break some of the impact as I went into it. I got clear of the bike, the sissy bar on the back didn?t break mine, I slapped the Elk with one hand as my body was twisted in the air, and I went under the Elk and landed on the side of the road. Most of the above action is from my memory and the Nova driver?s description as he said he had a great view of the whole thing. None of the above action was really planned, as I didn?t really have time to think only react.

I tore up a rotator cup so I couldn?t ride the bike, which only suffered a couple of broke turn signals and a little road rash. I got a ride home in the Nova and had my wife drive me into the Emergency room in Los Alamos. We came back past the bike at about 2:30 on our way home. With my injured shoulder I couldn?t ride or load the bike on a trailer and my wife was very pregnant at the time so she could not help me get it loaded up either. It took me until about 5:00 pm to find someone to drive my truck and trailer up to pickup the bike. When we got there the bike have been stolen.

Then to add insult to injury our local paper ran a full page story about a killer Elk named big hoof who could be recognized by the fact he was wearing a black leather jacket and riding a Triumph Bonneville.

The biggest mistake I think I made was in thinking I knew what was going on when I decided to pass the Nova.

Comment

Working...
                                X