Roads Less Travelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roads Less Travelled

Sometimes you just have one of those rides that really stick with you, leaving you wanting more and telling yourself "I've gotta come back here and do this again". Yesterday evening I had one of those rides.

I spent the day working on my Jeep, mowing the grass, and in general just getting a lot done. I had planned to head out while the weather was still good, but time slipped away and before I knew it my kids were home from school and I was falling into my evening routine. After dinner, I decided I was heading out anyway, regardless if I was to encounter some rain (which looked to be a pretty good chance). It was my intent to go for a short ride. I fired up the classic and geared up for my ride. My motorcycle neighbor pulled up on his riding mower. I invited him along, telling him I was going for a short spin. He asked where and I said "Ummm... Brookville!". Apparently that wasn't short enough for him Hehe.... so off I went solo.

The weather was perfect. I rode out on one of my old favorite routes that I've not ridden in quite some time. I was carrying a very aggressive pace often hitting triple digit speeds in some of the more open areas. Traffic was extremely light and I was feeling really good. In fact, as I was approaching my crash scene from a few years ago, I had a REALLY strange thing happen. Almost the exact same scenario began to unfold. I was coming up upon a slight "S" curve with a short straight section just prior. I had two slow moving cars in front of me. I could easily pass them but it would have meant some excessive speeds going into the turn. I had no doubt that I could stick it. Something deep down inside was telling my brain to flip the throttle and get it done. But I fought the urge and held back. It was dejavue, except this time I made the right decision, stayed out of the ditch, and kept my skin. I have no doubt that I could have made the turn, but I felt this was a far greater accomplishment.

The ride to Brookville was great. But instead of turning around and heading back, I started exploring. No GPS. No maps. Just a camera. I think this is where most of the words of my story ends, and the photos begin. I'll let them do most of the talking.

Brookville Lake, Eastern side overlook.

Old Franklin United Brethren Church, 1831. I stumbled onto this really cool church and cemetery with several statues.

Fairfield Causeway, Brookville Lake.

Really old stone bridge (decommissioned) North of Cedar Grove Indiana. Notice the trees growing on it.

Continued....

In the middle of nowhere, literally. Absolutely love this untouched photo. Road not marked. Assuming I'm in Indiana. Obviously historic, but no signs.

Stumbled onto this covered bridge. No markings, no road name. I didn't know it even existed. Pretty sure I was still in Indiana.

Wow. What a ride. I hope to be able to duplicate it again. I also have a renewed interest in my old Suzuki.

Comment

Looks like an Evening well spent Tom!:-D
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Very jealous. I think I'll go exploring too.. anyone around me up for a "Short" ride?

Comment

My "short" ride yesterday involved a lot of scenery, too, but most of it was on the 4-lane on the way from Raleigh, North Carolina to home in southwest oHIo.
          "Just" 543 miles. \\/
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

fantastic. this, to me, is EXACTLY what riding a motorcycle is about. i mean there is going fast and looking cool as options, but being an amature "explorer" on a whim is the type of freedom i think of when i think motorcycle.

Comment

Love it!. Thats the kind of ride i realy love. Hope have a lot of rides like that.
              Gearhead

Comment

Thanks for the photos, this has always to me been the main reason to ride a bike, to just "go" and get lost. THere are lots of really cool places I would never have seen had it not been for "being up to going nowhere on my bike."

Comment

Tom,

Nice pics.

Someone was looking at my pictures of a somewhat similar trip. THey asked "Do all you pictures have to include that motorcycle." My responce, "yup, that day they did."

Dave

PS I undersand that I'll be seeing you at BC.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                  X