Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GS1100G Appalacian Adventure (oh yeah, there's pics!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS1100G Appalacian Adventure (oh yeah, there's pics!)

Well, I missed out on BC this year, but had a good weekend riding here in Ohio with Steve and some of his GoldWing group. It was a blast, and contrary to popular belief, some of those GoldWingers can actually scoot pretty good. So Steve and his wife invited me to tag along on thier ride Memorial Day weekend to Elkins, WV for the Ohio GWRRA Rally. I jumped at the chance, for one because I was pretty bummed out about missing BC, and I wanted to put some serious miles on my new-to-me GS1100G.
    I was completely amazed about how wonderful and gorgeous the area is, and how many GREAT roads (some of the roads we rode arent even on maps!) there are down there. You want BEAUTIFUL scenary? Check. You want BEAUTIFUL weather? Check. You want great people? Check. A ton of bikes? Check ( i think the count was somewhere in the 60s, and not all GoldWings either!) You want alota miles? Check. I think total I put a lil over 1k miles on this weekend. You want twisties? Double check. My neck is sore from crankin my head thru em....

I spent Thursday preparing my girl for the long trip ahead. Already had the clutch springs changed, carbs synced and balanced. Double checked the fluids, assured my brakes were golden, and washed, waxed, polished and even broke out the touch up paint. Hey, it aint a blingy Goldwing, but my old girl can look damn sexy too.

Friday morning, I was to meet Steve and his wife and son at their place, to head out to meet up with a couple more bikes for the ride down. Steve said he preferred to keep the group smaller, as it would move along much more quickly. I awoke to a phone call. Steve: " You comin?" CRAP! My alarm didnt go off "Meet us up at St Rt 42 and the 35 on ramp, and we'll head out from there." Ok, so I threw on some clothes, brushed my pearlies, geared up, slapped my tank bag on, threw on my backpack and started some tunes on the Ipod and off I went. I stopped at the gas station to top off the tank, as we wouldnt be stopping for a long while. I shot up 35 as fast as I could without breaking the speedlimit obscenely (tho i would have probably picked up a wreckless op if I had been pulled over!) and got off at the 42 exit. No Steve, at least that I could see. I drove down 42 bout a half mile, and pulled in a "cops nest" and waited. They'd be coming up from that direction, i thought, so I figured maybe they were just slower than I was in getting there. I waited for about 10 mins, and no Steve. So I started her back up and cruised back up 42 to the off ramp, still didnt see any sign of Steve. What I did see was that all of the sudden my tach was no longer working. "Sh1t!" I thought, "this is NOT the way to start out a long trip."

I pulled off to the side of the road and shut her down. I pulled off my gloves and helmet and started looking and the cause of my problem became immediately apparent. The tach cable had somehow come unscrewed from the tach drive. I fiddled with it for a second, and realized that, now that I knew what the problem was, it just wasnt that important at the moment. I needed to get hooked up with Steve and the crew. I started back down 42, and glanced down the on ramp, and there he was, walking up it, waving his arms. I made a quick turn and started down. Once I got down there, I realized it was just he and his son on his Wing, and his wife on her GS850L. "The other bikes have already gone on, but we'll make better time with fewer anyway." So we took off down 35 toward Chillicothe, and on to Gallipolis, where we would cross into WV. It was a bit of a chilly morning, and we were blasting down 35, which is four lane mini-slab. It was a bit boring, to say the least, and I was growing a bit fidgity. Two long hours later, we stopped on the Ohio boarder in Gallipolis to eat lunch, and I was thankfull to get off the bike for a bit. I was simply not used to riding that long a stretch in one sitting. Boy, was I in for it this weekend...lol. After lunch, we crossed over into WV, and took WV 33 all the way to Elkins. It was a gorgeous two lane road, meandering thru the valley inbetween ridges, and at first it had some nice sweepers, tho the road surface left a little to be desired. But I was NOT complaining, it wasnt slab, and that made me happy. We were moving at a pretty good clip, dodging pot holes, rough spots, and occasional road kill and gravel. We passed thru a couple small towns, and then I saw a DQ. Something in the back of my head said we were stopping here. And we were. Some cool off time, and a drink, a smoke for me, and a butt rest were in order. While we were milling about in the parking lot, a few WV troopers of some sort pulled into the lot, and started talking with us about bikes. The one wanted to know how Steve had his trailer rigged up, and they were off in conversation about that. A bit later we were back on the road, and shortly thereafter, we started acending into the Appalacians. We were climbing a ridge here and there, with awesome switch backs, 20mph hairpins and 10% grades. NOW I was having a blast! Steve kept and EXCELLENT pace, somewhere between scraping pegs, and waiting up for his wife on her 850, who was doing an awesome job in the turns, but just didnt have the climbing power Steve and I did. We stopped for gas one last time, then booked it to Elkins. We pulled into the Super 8 around 5:30 or so, having left at 9ish. 300 and some odd miles, a little more than half in some great twisties. When we arrived, there were already a good amount of bikes there, and the MC of the rally, Wayne, had put together a nice dinner in the parking lot there. We ate, everyone caught up, milled around and looked at eachothers bikes. This was a special weekend for Steve. It would be the first time that he, and his three sisters, and all of their husbands would be there with ALL of their bikes (yes, they ALL have bikes.) Everyone chatted some more, there was a riders meeting going over what would go on over the next couple of days. There were over 60 bikes, so they were broken down into 4 groups, each led by a member of the WV GWRRA who knew the area QUITE well. The smaller groupe would be able to move faster, and while we were all going the same places, same routes, they were spaced in leaving about 15 minutes apart. This way, when we needed to stop for gas or lunch or dinner, there wouldnt be 60 bikes and 100 people or more ransacking the local mini mart all at once. After the meeting, pretty much everyone was bushed and headed back to thier rooms. I was crashed out before I knew it. The wake up came wayyy earlier than I was prepared for. More to come...
    Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2008, 08:52 PM.

Sounds like quite a nice weekend and the bikes lookin real nice Josh.:-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Saturday I awoke around 7am. This was NOT a normal thing for me. But I was excited. I couldnt wait to get out on the road and see what was going to happen. Most of all I couldnt wait to hit some more of these twisties that we'd experienced on the way down. I really really hoped there would be some. I wasnt dissapointed. I dressed, and went out to the bike. Stupidly, I hadnt even thought to bring my cover, and it had gotten pretty cold over night, and now my beautiful girl was covered in a thick layer of dew. I took to wiping it down, getting the tank bag mounted back up, and started her to warm her up. On the way down, I had been worried about how she would do on this trip. A bit scared to be honest. There were some nagging things about the bike that bugged me, but even after purposely flogging it pretty well the weekend before, she had not let me down. However when we had stopped the day before for gas, after she had run a good lonnnng time on the highway and was pretty hot, the starter clutch started acting up. Thankfully, after the bike cooled off a bit, it was fine. So this morning, in the back of my mind all I could think was "Please start, Please baby please." Lil choke, hit the button, and BAM, she fired right up. I took the choke down untill the idle was around 1300, and she idled away happily, that beautiful sewing maching cam noise spinning away. I let her idle, and continued wiping her down. There was a good bit of fog in the early morning, but as the sun came up further in the sky, it burned off rather quickly.

By 8-ish the fog had completely burned off, and the colours in the parking lot were gleaming..

The call came for line up, and four rows of bikes lined up, nearly encircling the motel twice. We were in group 3, so we had about 30 minutes before we headed out. One of the wives of the other Wingers was sweeping the gravel out of the entrance to the parkinglot. How awesome is that? Group one and two left, and then we started out. We hit some slab for a few minutes, and then turned off onto a nice lil mountain road. We cruised for a while, rolling thru gorgeous emerald green vallies. The air was crisp, the sun was out, and we were surrounded on all sides by beautiful tree covered mountains. This was going to be an awesome day, I thought to myself. A few more roads later, we started acending into the mountains, climbing thru sweepers, and switch backs, to the top of a ridge. I had a new found pal in Steve's youger sister's husband, Bernie. He was mounted on his fresh Kaw Connie 1400. MAN what a gorgeous bike. I know its not a GS, but i couldnt help but lust after it. Bernie's a bit old school in his tastes, so we talked old GSs and Kaws the night before, and now I was riding in his hip pocket up these roads. Granted, he for sure could have dusted me at any moment, but this WAS a GoldWing rally, so of course some restraint was a must. And a good thing too, because even tho Bernie was an amazingly experienced rider, and an NHRA license holder, and *I* was content to hang with him, we both got a bit over zealous at times, closing gaps way to quickly, both of us wanting to hit these corners a bit faster than we were going. But after the both of us almost ran right up some slower goers butts, we apparently both decided to chill out a bit. And, one mistake on some of these turns would be certain death, as there wasnt much besides the guard rail to keep you from plummeting a great distance. We stopped for gas, and a drink, and then continued on to BlackWater Falls state park....more to come...and more pics and a VIDEO if i can figure it out...lol,

Comment

Great trip report! I'm envious, especially having owned an identical bike to your's (but with a stock seat) and riding the length of Rte 66 on it.
        I've GOT to finish my GK project and get it on the road.
        Willie in TN
        Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
        '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
        '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
        '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I know those roads well as I used to go up to Salem WV (about a 2.5 hours NW of Elkins) via 33 to Elkins at least once a month when I was a kid. You should have continued down 33 past Elkins down to VA and my home town just on the other side of the WV/VA line. The best mountains of 33 ar the first 30-40 miles into WV.

Looks like ya'll had a great time any way, keep the pics coming!

Comment

Cafe, sounds like you had a great time on the ol' bike this weekend. Nice post. Did you fix the tacho??

Comment

Now you can see, CafeKid, why I left Dayton back in 1973 to come and live in the Mid-Atlantic States: The roads, the "Invisible Roads". You were just in my territory! My GK was designed with West Virginia roads in mind.

Just out: http://www.thetentacle.com/author.cfm?MyAuthor=52 . Go to "The Invisible Road Not Taken."

It's delightful to see your total joy in encountering these West Virginia roads. My GK was designed for those roads!

Headed for Marietta, Ohio, this coming weekend -- for the roads! Southeastern Ohio is beautiful, with wonderful little roads. So we'll take West Virginia roads to get to those SE Ohio roads.

Good looking 1100G!

Comment

Thanks Grandpa! I do indeed love this bike, she was a good girl this weekend, and I'm pretty proud of her. More to come in just a bit...

Comment

Ok so where was I...

I wanted to get this all down while it was still fresh in my mind, but last night I was simply beat. My 1100G doesnt have much in the way of a windshield, (lil EMGO cafe fairing at the moment) so I took a pretty good beating on the trip home with the headwind of a storm front moving in. So alas I needed sleep.

Anyway, back to the BlackWater Falls State Park. After a pretty good climb up thru the ridges, full of twisties and switchbacks, we arrived at the park. We pulled up to an overlook down on some of the lesser falls, and it was simply breathtaking. Unfortunately, I had left *MY* camera in the tank bag, and didn't get any snaps of it, but I will do my best with the description.

When standing on the overlook, in every direction you turned your head there were mountain tops covered with lush trees. Greens of every hue. A good likely 150 drop to the bottom of the canyon, and rushing over the edge of the ridge directly across from this point was a beautiful waterfall cascading down nearly vertical from the top to the bottom. The sky was gorgeous blue, the kind of blue you can only see when you're far out from any large city, and high enough that it doesnt disipate into the horizon in a whispy grey/blue instead of the vivid colour that I was seeing. On the air, it seemed it was snowing, as tufts of cotton from the cotton wood trees floated across the slight, cool breeze. I know Steve got some pics of this, so maybe he might indulge me with a couple posted on the thread here. It was simply astounding. From there we backtracked just a bit down to the parking area, complete with snack bar, and (thankfully) bathrooms. We had a picnic lunch, and then did a bit of sight seeing.

The major falls were amazing. Having come from Colorado, I've seen a good amount of waterfalls, but this was as gorgeous as any that I've seen. It was exactly 214 steps down to the bottom of the canyon there, as indicated by the sign at the walkway enterance. *I* however, was not about to truck it all the way down and back up. I went about half way, where there were a few different levels of overlooks. I took a couple of shots, and even a video, but as of yet I cant figure out how to embed it, so the snaps will have to do for now.

107 steps, more or less, back to the top (and let me tell you, I was winded! LOL) and everyone milled about for a bit longer, while the couple of groups ahead of us left the area. From there, we headed off back down the ridge, and a bit later took a turn onto a road (one of those Invisible Roads Grandpa was speaking of) This road was one lane, no lines at all, and unfortunately, pretty pocked with water holes where either a small stream washed down the rocks over it, or the drip line from the trees surounding hung directly over it. I did my best to avoid the holes, and the riders ahead did an excellent job pointing them out to the riders behind, as did I. Say what you want about the organization of the GoldWing rides, but they are for sure safe. As announced later on in the weekend, this was the 6th year of this ride, over 6000 miles traveled alone in the rides, and only ONCE was there an accident, and it just happened to be this year, on the way down to WV a rider drifted out in a turn and either didnt correct in time, or didnt know how, and rode the guardrail till his bike stopped abruptly and tossed him. His bike, from what I understand was fine, aside from a broken mirror, and he sustained bruising and was minus a thumbnail (I still wonder how that happened if he was wearing gloves?) So the saftey record was pretty immaculate, and rightfully so, as every one was looking out for everyone else. It truely is family, and even though I was not on a Wing, as were a few other people, I felt pleasently accepted.

After a while of trucking thru these roads, it opened up a bit, and we were back on a two lane road and headed back toward Elkins. We stopped at a Chinese Buffet place for the group dinner, and then back to the motel. After everyone got unpacked and cleaned up, there was an Appalacian type variety show at the theatre in town. I was bushed, after 180+ miles of concentration and, more or less, work, I crashed out in the room, while everyone else took to the show. I woke up a bit later for a while, but then went back to sleep, and slept till morning. Sunday proved an even more enjoyable ride than today had been...

Comment

So, does that mean You're going to give this a go?:-D

sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                      So, does that mean You're going to give this a go?:-D

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=120970&page=2
                      By that time he, TheCafeKid, may be the owner of an old GK and have just the right equipment for long-distance touring in complete comfort. :-D

Comment

"I wanted to get this all down while it was still fresh in my mind, but last night I was simply beat. My 1100G doesnt have much in the way of a windshield, (lil EMGO cafe fairing at the moment) so I took a pretty good beating on the trip home with the headwind of a storm front moving in. So alas I needed sleep.

Anyway, back to the BlackWater Falls State Park. After a pretty good climb up thru the ridges, full of twisties and switchbacks, we arrived at the park. We pulled up to an overlook down on some of the lesser falls, and it was simply breathtaking. Unfortunately, I had left *MY* camera in the tank bag, and didn't get any snaps of it, but I will do my best with the description."

That's my territory, my own backyard, Cafe Kid, and you're more than welcome to come back to it anytime you wish. I'm not kidding when I say that my wife and I moved from Dayton 4 years after graduating from UD in order to ride the roads. As it is right now, the invisible roads begin for me when I get out of my cul-de-sac.

Soon you'll be riding in total comfort, behind a large, protective fairing and lowers, on a custom seat, with bags and trunk. Then the Gold Wingers will look at you in total envy when they hear how the guy on the old Suzuki spent much less than they did on that motorcycle that has no trouble keeping up with them. :-D:-D

Good story, Josh. As I've said before, I delight in reading people's enthusiastic stories about touring my beloved West Virginia (and Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania) invisible roads.

Comment

By the way, Josh. The picture of your beautiful 1100G shows a stock front wheel, but the rear wheel is one off an older model 850G or 1000G. They're totally interchangeable, but one must be somewhat creative with the shimming of the nonstock wheel.

But of course, you've found that out already.

Your stuff is fun to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                            By the way, Josh. The picture of your beautiful 1100G shows a stock front wheel, but the rear wheel is one off an older model 850G or 1000G. They're totally interchangeable, but one must be somewhat creative with the shimming of the nonstock wheel.

But of course, you've found that out already.

Your stuff is fun to read.
                            Indeed sir About 68 miles after i purchased her, she spat out the inner hub gear. Thankfully, Steve was kind enough to lend me the rear off his sons 850G work in progress, as it would be a while before it was road worthy. And, I rather like the Zook star pattern wheel over the more modern one, so I think i will be trading the front wheel to him, and giving him the new rear i picked up recently as well, as he cares not either way which pattern are on the 850. It did take some shimming, but a washer or two did the job nicely, and i havent had a fidget out of it. Actually, aside from the slight ride hight that I lost due to the 130/80 (as opposed to the 130/90 that was on the stock wheel) thats on the borrowed wheel, I have been more than pleased with it.

Comment

The wheels are interchangeable on the GK as well. Right now on the GK I have the rear wheel that came off a 79 GS850G I used to have. It's a 17-incher. The GK comes stock with a 16-incher, same pattern as your stock rear.

I just installed a brand new tire on the stock front 19-inch wheel, so our two bikes are identical in wheel selection as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X