No announcement yet.

Insurance or not to insure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For over 45 years, Markel has been providing specialized insurance protection for your motorcycles, boats, ATVs, bicycles, special events and more. Get a free quote in minutes online or by phone.

Found them on this website home page called the GSResources, great site.

I was with Progressive for 1 month. Charged me 120 dollars for liability coverage with limits I wanted, charged me an extra 5 dollars for some strange reason that I had to fight with them about to get refunded.

Felt good to dump them and go with someone else. Peter Lewis is not one of my favorite people and giving money to his company was tough to swallow.

I had the CM400A on the policy for 48 dollars a year, although no full coverage.

It's important to note I started out at 89 a year for this policy 4 years ago so even then it was reasonable. Of course YMMV and your zip code of residence has a lot to do with the rate, as well as driving history, displacement, etc.

Pays to shop around, that is for sure.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
      http://www.markelinsuresfun.com/Motorcycle/

Found them on this website home page called the GSResources, great site.

I was with Progressive for 1 month. Charged me 120 dollars for liability coverage with limits I wanted, charged me an extra 5 dollars for some strange reason that I had to fight with them about to get refunded.

Felt good to dump them and go with someone else. Peter Lewis is not one of my favorite people and giving money to his company was tough to swallow.

I had the CM400A on the policy for 48 dollars a year, although no full coverage.

It's important to note I started out at 89 a year for this policy 4 years ago so even then it was reasonable. Of course YMMV and your zip code of residence has a lot to do with the rate, as well as driving history, displacement, etc.

Pays to shop around, that is for sure.

I think I checked them a few years ago and found they didnt operate this far south. Hav'ta check again. LOL

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If insurance is mandatory, why are we required to purchase UNINSURED motorist coverage????? LOL

Get at LEAST liability coverage, that way you are not liable for damage to the other person's property.
        Your medical insurance from your employer or elsewhere covers your injuries.
        On a bike like my GS the fairing and bags are worth quite a bit to replace, so I'll probably get full coverage when I license it.

My Guzzi Cal III came with a factory fairing and Givi bags,so they are not covered under the "accessory" coverage since they are not "add-ons". They are covered under the comp/collision part. Same as on my departed 97 Concours...and it paid off when a guy's wheelbarrow flew off his trailer and I center punched it.

I'm paying $160/year with towing through Geico. Not bad for a very rare bike.
        BTW-a friend had a 82 BMW R100RS and totalled it two weeks after buying it. They paid him every penny he had in it including taxes and insurance, minus deductable plus they replaced his helmet, a Shoei RF900 with a RF 1000 on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
          ...plus they replaced his helmet, a Shoei RF900 with a RF 1000 on top of it.
          That's odd, when I called Geico's toll free number to get a quote for here in Ohio they told me no coverage for my gear or any accessory. They must have different policies for different states when it comes to this, sort of makes the shopping thing an issue if you plan on moving out of state anytime soon.
          "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Not necessarily, some companies have been excluding motorcycle injuries in the fine print, without notifying the policy holders.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Not necessarily, some companies have been excluding motorcycle injuries in the fine print, without notifying the policy holders.

Which, IIRC has been ruled illegal in many places because a m/c is a legal form of transportation, like a car.
              Off road is another story.

Comment

You can get a rider for medical coverage through the Motorcycle insurance but it costs. Coverage for passenger injuries is available too.

The most important part about insurance is protecting your assets from the other party, and their lawyers. Replacing your bike is secondary. We live in a litigious society where the lawsuit has become the get rich vehicle. Look at your assets and go for higher coverage. If you own a home consider 300K or more of protection. Remember, when an accident occurs the blame gets handed to the rider more times than not because of perceptions that we all do wheelstands at 120MPH on our GS bikes going to work everyday.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

If insurance is mandatory, why are we required to purchase UNINSURED motorist coverage????? LOL

Get at LEAST liability coverage, that way you are not liable for damage to the other person's property.
                  On a bike like my GS the fairing and bags are worth quite a bit to replace, so I'll probably get full coverage when I license it.

My Guzzi Cal III came with a factory fairing and Givi bags,so they are not covered under the "accessory" coverage since they are not "add-ons". They are covered under the comp/collision part. Same as on my departed 97 Concours...and it paid off when a guy's wheelbarrow flew off his trailer and I center punched it.

I'm paying $160/year with towing through Geico. Not bad for a very rare bike.
                  BTW-a friend had a 82 BMW R100RS and totalled it two weeks after buying it. They paid him every penny he had in it including taxes and insurance, minus deductable plus they replaced his helmet, a Shoei RF900 with a RF 1000 on top of it.
                  Its cause people out of state might not have insurance, we get that a lot here in Massachusetts with drivers from NH that are not required to be insured.

Comment

Working...
                  X