Another customer service story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another customer service story.

Get home from work last night and take a look at my oil window and it is past the full line to the point where I can't see any air even with the bike leaned over. "No big deal, probably got some fuel in the oil when I cleaned the carbs" I think to myself. So I hop on my bike for a ride to Murray's because I figure the oil will be warm enough to change when I get back.

I've always gone to Murray's because its the biggest store around with the largest selection. I go there to get stuff like MMO, Seafoam, cleaning products, fluids, etc.

I've never had a problem with the staff there but I suppose thats because I've never dealt with them until now.

I walk in, poke around for a bit, and go up to the counter and the conversation goes something like this.

It's hard to convey in words the attitude of this specific employee, she was on her cell phone when I came up to the counter, made me wait till she was done, and then acted like I was interrupting her busy day to have her help me.

Me: Hi, I'm looking for a oil filter for a 1982 Suzuki GS450GA

Her: *SIGH* Thats a motorcycle right?

Me: Sure is.

Her: *sigh* Ok, lets see here. 1980 what? uuuuuh, suzuki.....

Me: 1982. G S 4 5 0 G A Z. 450 is the engine CC's, G means its shaft drive, A means its automatic, Z is the model year, 82.

Her: *chuckles* What do you need an automatic motorcycle for, can't ride the real thing? Anyways, we don't got one, other stores don't got one, we gotta order one.

Me: Ok, I need to find one locally but thanks though, you got Rotella in the 1 gallon jugs?

Her: Uhhhhhh, Rotella?

Me: 15W-40 motor oil? Made by shell, non synthetic, used for diesel engines?

Her: Oh. *sigh* yea you gotta go down that aisle and look *points*

Me: Ok, thanks, have a nice day. *leaves*

After that I wasn't too happy so I went to Napa, which I usually don't go to since its a smaller store. Long story short both people working there were VERY friendly, commented on how they hear pretty often that the people in Murray's aren't too friendly. Computer shows a filter at another NAPA store, guy says he'll have it there in the morning. Ask about the oil and the guy goes in the back and comes back with a jug and comments on how alot of people use it in their older bikes even though its a diesel oil. Started BS'ing with an old timer that worked there and was planted on a stool about older bikes, turns out he thinks the older GS' are wonderful bikes and thinks the world of them.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2008, 11:30 AM.

just depends on where you live i guess. around here, the murrys is about the only useful guys around although i have to admit the napa guys are pretty knowledgeable, just a tad overpriced in this area.

it's hard for retail operations to keep good people, most people aren't willing to put an honest days work in for the pay, they prefer to just be there and get a check. if they show up they got a huge one up on most of the other applicants, so it's a rock and a hard place situation

Comment

Like seuadr said, it's tough for retail to get good employees. Businesses through either greed or necessity only pay so much for the average employee. Those willing to take the job don't want to work and those willing to do a good job would never take the job or if they did, would find more gainful employment in short time.

Experiences such as the one that you had are exceptionally frustrating for me because when I worked for a regional grocery store (my first real job), I wasn't getting benefits and I was only getting minimum wage to start, but I worked my butt off doing the best job I could for two reasons: 1) That was my job and I agreed to do it. 2) I wanted to offer the same level of service that I would expect as a customer. Plus, I actually <gasp> took pride in my work and service and <double gasped> enjoyed helping folks solve their problems and accomplish their tasks.

I've become so accustomed to poor/disrespectful/ungrateful/unknowledgeable help that two nights ago when I was once again FORCED to venture into the the retail world by going to the local grocery store, I was pleasantly surprised when my order was checked out by a clerk who a) acknowledged my presence with a respectful greeting, b) made eye contact when she spoke to me, c) communicated in complete sentences in standard academic english, d) carefully bagged my order so as to not damage the more fragile items, e) double bagged a heavier bag after paying enough attention to realize the potential problem, f) quoted me the total (rather than just expecting me to analyze the transaction for myself and spontaneously hand over payment without request), g) handed me the receipt and change with a smile and a salutation that was neither contrived nor rehearsed and h) did ALL of this with twice the speed and efficiency of ANY of the other clerks in the place, none of whom were doing even close to as good a job!!!

I made it very clear to this young lady that she was doing a bang up job and that I appreciated her excellent service and courteous manner. In turn, she appreciated my taking the time to recognize her efforts.

I guess there's hope, but still, we're definitely out numbered. :-?

Comment

Human nature. Its so diverse you never know what youre gonna get. It always makes for great conversation. Last time we went out with friends we talked about how bad the service was the time before. Which led to other conversations about human interactions.
        I stood in line at Sears to get a lawn mower part and two guys did there best to speed up the service. Along comes a 3rd employee and Im next. He asks what I need and then says we need to wait for a computer that the other two guys are using.??? Soooo, there I am. Waiting.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Poor customer service is probably my biggest bug bear in life. I own/operate a small but successful computer support company and I pride myself on the high level of customer service we provide. I don't tolerate slopiness, laziness, inefficiency, lack of courtesy or respect, tardiness or anything less than polite, prompt professional service in myself and my technicians.

As mentioned, a great deal of the problems in the service industry as a whole is low wages and lack of incentive. You can follow this closely with poor management and lack of direction from supervisors and the biggest one of all, lack of respect and appreciation by those in control.

I've been in management all my working life and I've learned the good and bad. I treat my guys with respect for their knowledge and abilities and reward them well (higher than industry standards) for the great work they do. We work as a team and help each other to get the job done. I reward in public but encourage in private. I will not demean anyone, especially not in front of their peers. It all works for me and in honesty I have not had a customer complaint in better than 10 years. It works for me.

When I encounter poor service I feel it is important that the management know about it. I make a point of seeking them out and telling them on the spot. Wether they do anything about it or not is up to them. I figure if enough folks speak their minds things might change.

On the flip side, when I encounter stellar service I make a point of making it know too and I find a letter to the management or owners is the way to do this.

It is sad that there is so much poor service everywhere today but I firmly believe that sh&t rolls down hill. Poor managers shape poor workers. Treat folks better, demand more of them but listen to them respect them and reward them well and see what happens.

Good thread bye the bye.

cheers all,
          Spyug.

Comment

Just wanted to comment that if anyone is ever on northern new york, potsdam area, Sovie's motorcylce shop is pretty good. He sells mostly Harley and Honda, but I get all of my parts from him. He is usually very busy, but if you dont mind being patient, they always help you out and get you the RIGHT parts. He even lets me use his shop sometimes. He is about the only dealership/parts store i can even stand to try to deal with. the suzuki dealer for this area is known for crap work and inflated prices, and the other dealers are at best dull and at times just mean. so there you go.
            nathan.

Comment

Working...
            X