Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fear And Loathing on The Way To Red River (or, My Tales from the Red River Rally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear And Loathing on The Way To Red River (or, My Tales from the Red River Rally)

It all started with a simple question...Anyone interested in a GS get together in Red River Gorge, Kentucky?

I had been looking forward to this event since, well, snow was still on the ground. I didnt even have a running GS at the time (my cafe, which at the time was my ONLY GS, was still in pieces in my basement) but I thought, that come summer, this was going to be something great. Even if it was just a couple of guys, riding around in the gorge for the weekend. I didnt think there would be as much interest as turned out....

I left my home in Dayton, Ohio at about 8:45 or so on the Thursday before the day the Inaugural Semi-Anual Red River Rally was supposed to start. I was late. But I had been up late, and decided the extra hour of sleep was necessary in order to avoid being a sleepy rider. Safety first, yanno. I had everything packed up, so this morning, it was simply a matter of hooking up my tank bag, and cargo netting my backpack to the seat, and off I went. I was fully charged, excited and making fantastic time down 68 headed toward the Aberdeen, Ohio area, where I would cross the river into Kentucky on my route to meet up with Mike Riddle (MRiddle) in Morehead, and from there, we would travel on to the Gorge.

The sun was bright in the sky, and it wasnt quite hot yet, but it was already headed that way, and I could tell, if it didnt rain, as the weather guessers had said it wouldnt, it was going to be a scorcher this weekend. I had my iPod going, and some Steely Dan in my ears, smooth easy funky jazz to bop down the road too. I was already having a fantastic time, and I was only doing 65 on a pretty straight road.

I hit Aberdeen about 11, and by my figures, even though i had started an hour later than I had hoped, I was still on schedule. The plan was to meet up with Mike in Morehead at around 12 or 12:30 for lunch. I stopped at a little gas station along the river to refuel myself with fluid, and to call Mike to let him know I was still on time, even though I had left late. In talking to him, he let me know that HE was a bit behind schedule but only by 20 minutes or so, so I should not hurry. After I hung up the phone with him, I gave myself some extra butt rest time, as I had done 100 miles in one stretch without stopping. Normally, this wasnt too bad, but with the extra stuff strapped to my seat, there wasnt much wiggle room left on it, so I didnt really get to get off the pressure points. I drank my Gatorade, and consulted my map again. I had just come home this way from Mikes area not two weeks ago, so the route was pretty fresh in my memory, but no harm in double checking myself.

After about 20 minutes, I geared back up, and got on my way. I crossed the river in Aberdeen, and checked out the huge cooling silo that one would see at a nuclear power plant that could be seen down the bank of the river. It was still a little hazy, but it looked simply amazing. Even though it was probably a good 15 miles down the bank, it still looked massive. On the other side of the river, I rode into Maysville. I have always been infatuated with little old time river townes like these, ever since as a boy, reading Huck Finn, and dreaming that some day I would take a raft down a main river like the Ohio or the Mississippi and pass along all the quaint little towns that seemed to be frozen in time, aside from the modern cars all over the place. Once out of Maysville, I continued down 32 to Flemingsburg. It was upon entering Flemingsburg propper that I realized that I had made a mistake in my route, and should have taken NEW 32 AROUND Flemingsburg. Instead, I took the opertunity to top off the bike, so that I would easily make it to Morehead without hitting reserve. I pulled into the little station, and started to get off the bike before I realized that there was a rather large man standing next to me. It was the attendant, and I then realized that this entire station was full serve. Normally, I wouldnt partake of such extravagance, as I am more than capable of pumping my own gas to save a few cents a gallon, but as the entire station was full serve, and I had already stripped my gear off, I thought, Screw it, Im on vacation. The attendant was reamarkably respectful and was very carefull with the nozzle as he filled her up. I paid him, and asked him which way I needed to go to get back on 32 propper. With some easy direction, I was well on my way again. One thing that I noticed as I was ridding on, was that it had gotten bloody hot thru this section of the world all of the sudden, and this would rear its ugly head mulitple times this weekend.

Tooling down 32, I of course came upon plenty of slow moving traffic, which, with a lean of the head, and a flick of the wrist, I dusted in short order. I was starting to realize that I was getting pretty close to my first destination, and my speed picked up, as well as my excitement. Coming down thru a little sleepy town called Goddard, I again ran upon slow traffic. This time, an old man in an even older looking Ford pickup. He had to be going about 25 in a 55. I waited for some traffic to pass the other direction, and pulled out around him and started to roll on throttle to overtake. Just as I did so, there was a resounding "POP" combined with a shudder thru the frame of the bike. The tach jumped up to redline, and I realized I was in serious trouble. I down shifted, and hit the throttle again. The tach climed freely, but no responce came from the wheel. I coasted into a little store on the left side of the road, and pulled the bike to a stop. Panic was suddenly begining to overtake my mind. "Good christ, what the hell just happened!?!" My first thought was that I had just blown up my clutch. So with the bike on, I pulled the lever, and the clutch cam responded. Cables not broken. It shifted in and out of gears just fine. Its not the clutch. I shut the bike off, and started stripping off gear. This was NOT good. My next thought was the bevel gear set in the secondary box. I had always thought I had heard a whining coming from there, but recently had deduced that it was actually my starter clutch making the racket. But what if I was wrong? Jesus! Had my bevel gears blown out? This was looking VERY bad. I put the bike on the centerstand, and started it up. I shifted it thru the gears, and the back wheel spinned with the trany and drive shaft. I pulled the filler cap on the secondary, and could see the gears turning, and gear oil churning. Its not the bevel gears. What in the hell happened???

I was shaking. Adrenaline was coursing thru me. I fought the panic back so I could asess the situation as clearly as possible. I was a good 200ish miles from home at this point. If this was super serious, I was in a world of hurt. I pulled out my cell to call Mike and aprise him of the situation. NO SIGNAL. The panic began to well up again....

So!?!
    So!!!???
    Finish the story will ya!

Comment

There is MUCH more story to come.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

man what a teaser!!!
        more.. give us more...

Comment

You're a good writer!!
          Sitting on the edge of my seat.
          So?? What happened?
          McLoud
          '79 GS850
          `98 GSF1200 Bandit
          sigpic
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

a redhead in a convertible pulls up and asks if you need a ride right?
            2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
              a redhead in a convertible pulls up and asks if you need a ride right?
              ...NO,NO...it was a blonde on an 1100G and they rode off into the sunset!

OK...we're impatiently waiting for the next chapter???

Comment

Its 45 years ago and Saturday morning at the show again! Ming the Merciless has Flash tied up and is about to push him into the volcano! Is this the end for our hero? will the evil Emperor relent? Can Flash ever get free? Come back next weekend to find out!

Boy I love these stories and I'm sitting here with baited breath for the next installment.

Hope it turns out well I'm rooting for you.

Cheers,
                Spyug

Comment

I was there .. and I'm still waiting for the next chapter

Comment

Now, my hands were shaking slightly. This was not going to work. I needed to slow down and get my head in order. I went inside to the little country store and got a cold Gatorade. It was now amazingly hot outside, and aside from standing under the overhand for the gas pumps at this place, little shade to be found. The inside of the store, however, was pleasently cool, and this was Kentucky, I could smoke indoors. Hey, any little silver lining at this point...

I asked the lady at the counter how far I was from Morehead. She replied, in thick Kentucky accent, "Oh..bout a half hour or so..not too far.." I susinctly remember this because I though after she said this, that a half hour from anywhere in this heat could likely do me in should I attempt to walk with all that gear and what not, and I certainly wasnt planning on leaving it laying. I told her my situation, and how I was supposed to meet up with a gentleman in Morehead. She offered use of their phone to call him. I was greatly obliged.

I first called Mike's house, hoping that he may have been running a little later than he first had thought, and I would catch him before he left. His girlfriend Connie answered, and told me I had just missed him leaving his house headed for Morehead by about 10 minutes. He should be there in about 20, she said. I told her of my situation, should he call wondering if *I* called. I thanked her, and then gave Mike's cell phone a try. It went to voice mail, and I left him a message, letting him know exactly where I was, and that I was immobile. I finished my Gatorade and went back out to see if I could figure anything else out.

Again, I started the bike on the centrestand and shifted it thru the gears. The wheel spun freely thru the gears, but when I shut it off, the wheel continued to spin in gear, and made a fairly audiable clicking noise as it slowed to a stop. I reached and turned the wheel by hand. The fact that it was turning with little resistance while IN GEAR, spoke volumes to me now. Something in the pumpkin or the wheel was shot. A passing thought occured to me that it might be the inner hub spline, but I wrote this off quickly, as I had JUST replaced the damn thing not 6000 miles ago due to it stripping out. Couldnt be that I thought. Had to be in the pumpkin. I slurry of cuss words then began pouring from my mouth. I HAD a spare pumpkin, but it was back at home. Hell, I had a spare set of bevel gears if THAT had been the problem, but again, some 200 miles away. The girl from the counter inside came out with the phone. It was for me, it was Mike. I ran over the situation again with him, and he said he was on his way.

Another bike pulled into the lot. A Zook, but not a GS. One of the later model cruisers. And as it sat there, I noticed it had a fairly similar pumpkin. The guy came out, and we started talking, I told him what was going on, and he said that he USED to have a bunch of spare stuff for HIS bike, but not anymore. It was then that I saw the blue helmet and 8 inch headlight of Mikes GS1100E come up the road. He stripped off his gear, and we began going over the situation, trying to figure out what to do.

It occured to me at some point that Brian Wringer was coming down the same day, and I wondered if I would happen to catch him before he left. Being the resident GS shaftie master, he might be able to help deduce the problem, and maybe even give me an idea of how to fix it, if only to get it home.

Mike whipped out his phone, and we had to call Jeff (8trackmind) to get Brians number as Mike didnt have it, and neither did I. Jeff was super helpfull, and seemed pretty concerned that I had broken down. I hung up with him, and called Brian. He answered, and I explained who I was, as we had never spoken in person, and what had happened. He asked a few determining questions, and suggested the rear hub gear. I told him my thoughts, that I had just replaced it not long ago, but I would begin to strip the wheel, check it out, and call him back....

More to Come...

Comment

You might want to get a gel seat pad for long rides--helped me a lot. Besides, you have a shaftie so you're supposed to have a dozen or so funny touring accessories.

Comment

GAH!!!!! NO!!! You can't stop there!! Lol. You fancy writers with your intense stories!! *shakes fist menacingly*

Comment

( Place soap ad here )
                          McLoud
                          '79 GS850
                          `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                          sigpic
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

How did you manage that in 6000 miles? Did you accidentally lube the spline with lapping compound instead of grease?
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Arent there suppose to be Bug Bunny cartoons playing during intermission ?
                              85 1150E

Comment

Working...
                              X