Junque yard 1150 to the Vintage bike rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junque yard 1150 to the Vintage bike rally

Well my 12 year old son and I finally had the chance to go for a ride. We got kind of a late start but once we were rolling there was no time table to hold to. I knew there was a vintage bike rally and swap in Seymour (Wisconsin) which is about 65 miles as the crow flies from my home in Greenbush. We did the back roads and made a nice ride of it in both directions, careful not to overlap or backtrack. His butt was a little sore as we rode straight through on the way north. The stock seat on that old 1150 is nice but it seems to get hard and hot. Yes my butt is quite out of riding shape also.
    The show wasn’t bad, it wasn’t a big show by any means but there were some rare and interesting pieces of motorcycle history both in the show and the parking lot.
    I must add that I recently rebuilt the whole clutch mechanism. I mean new basket, center hub, fibers, steels and springs. I had an ugly lever with the old set up and once apart found things to be quite worn, damaged and somewhat mutilated. It is amazing the pleasure a smooth clutch and shift can generate.
    I went to a different gear ratio, taking the 60mph rpm down some and found that quite to my liking also. In top gear I am no longer looking for another gear. The 1230 kit in this particular engine seems really happy with this gear. O.K. It isn’t probably the optimum tire smoking wheelie gear, I’m old, this thing has everything I need for an occasional stimulation with everyday longevity built in.
    Next is to fabricate a short back rest and maybe even a small rack. My 8 year old daughter seems to enjoy riding, I would be a little more at ease should my passengers have a little something to rest back against.
    I tried to contact Corbin to see about a seat. It doesn’t seem like they are all too interested in my business as I have heard nothing back in response to several inquiries. So now I need to research a seat. I have several seats as it is and may well try some saddle building of my own.
    Thanks to Rapidray and all of the rest who had suggestions when I was researching my clutch issues. This site is definitely the key to maintaining and enjoying a 22-24 year old bike like my Junque yard 1150.

I'm glad you are having a good time with it & hope it continues to serve you well. If you ever decide to sell I got FIRST dibs! LOL!! Take care, Ray.

Comment

Working...
    X