Missed on a GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed on a GS1100E

So I've been keeping watch out for anyone local in Iowa selling a 1982-83 GS1100E and one popped up on craigslist on the 22nd for sale in Iowa.

Owner said in the ad that the cards had been cleaned and that some other things had been done. Looked like it had a special seat (tu-tone) and it had a 4 into 1 exhaust.

I called on the 23rd and someone had ridden it and it had sold.

I'm sad

That stinks! I found mine on Craigslist, too...and just an hour away. Fortunately, it was on there for a few weeks before I saw it. The first guy passed up on it and the owner relisted. I saw it, called the guy and told him I was leaving for vacation for 5 days....that if it was still here when I got back, I was coming to look at it. Lo and behold, it was still here.....and destined to be mine (at a discount price).

Keep your eyes peeled. There's one out there.

Comment

I know the feelings missed a couple of 750's and then saw my current ride GS1000L, caught ad 15 minutes after it posted called and said will there in the morning to see/buy siure glad I did it is cvery clean. Gotta keep searching craigslist they post and the phones start ringing right away!

Comment

I tell you a story about looking for bikes and some of the "jerks" that sell them.

Three years back I was looking hard for a Yammie XS650 for a cafe project. I scoured every listing in Craigs, the Autotrader, the Buy/Sell newspapers and I drove everywhere.

Bikes did come up but everytime I made an appointment to see them, they were gone by the time I got there.

What really got me was that I would ask the seller not to sell it prior to my seeing it and I made extra special effort to get right there. On at least 3 occassions they agreed to that and everytime, the bike was gone on my arrival. The worst case was one that was 3 hours away from me. I told the guy I was on my way and even called from the car half way there. I turn up and he says "Oh, I just sold it to a young guy who saw it when he was driving by. If he doesn't pick it by next weekend, its yours" Ya right jerkwad you never even had the stones to phone my cell and safe me a useless trip.

Now I can understand when you are selling something and you get cash waived in your face but don't say you'll do something if you are not prepared to honour it.

After a while, I got fed up with this and posted a wanted ad in Craigs. I got an e-mail almost immediately from a nice young guy moving to the States and I got my 78 with manual and lots of spares for $500. The ones I had tried to look at were $1k to $2k so in the end I lucked out.

I still get really miffed when I make an arrangement with someone and they just back out of it. Mind you I come from the dark ages when your word & handshake were your bond.

Keep searching, you'll find it.

Cheers,
        Spyug
        Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2008, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post

I still get really miffed when I make an arrangement with someone and they just back out of it. Mind you I come from the dark ages when your word & handshake were your bond.

Keep searching, you'll find it.

Cheers,
          Spyug
          Your word and a handshake "should" be your bond, but many have lost sight of that kind of respect.....unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Craiger View Post
            Your word and a handshake "should" be your bond, but many have lost sight of that kind of respect.....unfortunately.
            Unfortunately it doesn't work that way anymore. Chalk it up to a general decline in principles I think.

my .02

steve a

Comment

+1 on the word and handshake deal, and I'm only 25.

I get the same thing with guys on Kijiji and stuff responding to my ads. People say they're real interested and not to sell it and what not and they're coming in a week with cash and a trailer. They don't give me a phone number, and stop replying to emails.

I can agree with what those guys did, grab the cash and run, but they shouldn't say they won't sell it, and at very least let you know it's sold. There's just as many dickwad buyers as there are sellers.

I had the same thing happen to me while looking at a YZ250 a while back. Had it all set up to go take a boo and lucky I called him before I left work, or I'd have gotten there and been quite unhappy. He had 2 email addresses and my cell and work number to get a hold of me.

Comment

I think this goes right along with the "I'm on my way" that never arrives too.

There's nothing like waiting around for someone to show about something you're selling and have them never show...I've been down that road as well!

steve a

Comment

Say Spyug,

Sounds like you're all set with your XS-650 and I can't imagine a reason why you'd come all the way to the Eastern WI/IL border BUT my best friend has an '83 XS-650 Special that has been languishing in his garage for years. it is rough but complete, and he's not looking to get too much for it. I know he'd like to get rid of the entire bike in one fell swoop, but if you need all or any part of it I suspect he'd be open to negotiation. Long story short, he parked it after spending $$ to have an oil leak fixed by the dealer - then after getting it home it began leaking oil again from another spot ... end of story.

Obviously, if you're not interested the offer is open to anyone else with an eye toward an XS-650 project, but being that we're both the "handshake is your bond" kind of guys I thought I'd toss it out there to you first...

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Regards,

Comment

Here's one that came up today in STL:

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
                      Here's one that came up today in STL:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/815263292.html
                      I wonder if he realizes that's an '83?

Comment

Originally posted by Craiger View Post
                        I wonder if he realizes that's an '83?
                        Contacted him. He's correcting the date. Nice bike! He sent me some additional pics. Dang that thing's clean!

Comment

It's already gone.

Comment

If the price is in the right area they don't last long. I think I'm going to continue to look for one but I'll put forth more effort during the winter, closer to Christmas. Also I think perhaps there's a renewed interested in older muscle bikes too maybe.

Oh I am still waiting to see one in IL not too far away. Oh and there's always the guy in Milwaukee with the 1983 GS1100ES frame without motor for $1200. Granted it's 3000 original miles but seems a bit expensive for what it is.

Thanks for posting up options guys!

steve a

Comment

Speaking of ES's this one is in Utah, and seems like a good deal so far, though that will change in the last few minutes, I imagine. All the stock parts come with. The Bassani pipes are pretty rare any more & sound great.

A complete 3000 mile ES rolling frame with all bodywork, minus motor for $1000 to $1200, sounds like a good deal....depending on availability/price of a good motor.
                              Tony.
                              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                              X