X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild or Part Out

Hey guys,

82 850G

So you may remember from my thread of me wrecking my bike on the freeway, I have $900 worth of parts I need to rebuild my bike. It is officially official that I will not get any money from my insurance company. So this begs the question: Do I rebuild my bike which just consists of bolt on parts or do I part it out?

Keep in mind, I have $500 in parts (4-1 exhaust, jet kit, and pods) sitting in boxes ready to go on.

PS. Please let me know if you can help. This is what I am looking at. If you have used parts or know other, cheaper ways of getting them, please let me know. Groundshock has offered generously to help me with the lighting (thanks again Groundshock!). Any help is great.

Part Part number Price Source
    Tachometer 34210-49400 $184.67 mrcycles.com
    Fender 53110-49030-13L $128.92 mrcycles.com
    Headlight $65.00 crc online
    Headlight bulb UP31387 $31.00 bigrigchromeshop.com
    Footrest 43550-37301 $18.11 mrcycles.com
    Master cyl cap 59669-41C00 $17.39 mrcycles.com
    Master cyl bolt 09360-10017 $2.22 mrcycles.com
    Bolt boot 59711-49001 $5.00 mrcycles.com
    Brake lever5 7420-49101 $10.67 mrcycles.com
    Turn signals UP39567 $70.00 bigrigchromeshop.com
    Engine guard 50555 $133.00 Denniskirk.com
    Spark plug and cap $10.00
    Headlight Bracket 51500-49830 $74.89mrcycles.com
    Mirrycle Mirrors $25.46 Amazon.com
    HandlebarsSuperbike $26.00 z1enterprises.com
    Rebuild that bike, its just parts that are bad!
    84.21%
    Part it out, you could make a lot of money!
    15.79%
    Let it rust in your backyard!
    0.00%
    Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2008, 07:19 PM.

You can get a lot of that stuff here or on ebay for far less. Glue or weld some stuff back together if it's reasonable. (Plastex is great for plastic.) Parting out a bike seems like a big pain in the ass to me.

All the big numbered-items seem like things that'd be easy to get on ebay for a common bike.

Comment

i vote rebuild too.. you already got the important stuff sorted, it's running well and mechanically sound, minus the parts that were biffed. no reason to try to part it all out and try to find another bike that will probably need alot of love down the road.

alot of those parts you are pricing you can get much cheaper even locally.. for instance, your light bulb should only cost at most 20 dollars from an auto store, and that is assuming you are getting the sylviana silverstar, not just the oem replacement.

i got a workable fender from a fellow GSR member for 10 dollars!
      there are lots of parts here and on ebay as well.

Comment

i may be able to help you out with some of that stuff, what bike is it going on???

Comment

82 850G. Sorry and thanks!

Comment

i may have the tach, footrest, master cylinder cap, headlight brackets

i dont need the stuff so i can let it go pretty cheap....

Comment

all my spare stuff is from 77 750 or 78 gs1000 but it may work out for you

Comment

Sent you a PM about a '82 tach. Also have the warning light cluster and the metal frame for the gauges if you need that as well.

For the headlamp, you can get a generic H4 type from JC Whitney for pretty cheap - comes with a bulb. I can send you a bulb as well - have a couple of spares. I actually have a complete headlamp w/bucket from a 550E but the lamp is a sealed beam which is not too bright.

Scrounge around and you can put that bike back together for about 1/4 of your estimate.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

GS's will never die.... I'd be willing to bet between all the members on this board there are enough spare parts to make dozens of GS babies no pun intended

Good luck with the resurrection

Comment

Fly-n-cycle 7" headlight, complete for under $40 - red, blue, black or white or chrome for $65
                    If you can live with four new turn signals you could pick up 2 sets of these for $34

Comment

Working...
                    X