the herd is thinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the herd is thinning

This morning it was 40 degrees, clear, and the damp night air still hung over the central NH countryside. Great day for a ride to work? Got to keep stretching the season out up here when you can. I cheated a little and waited 30 minutes for the temp to climb to 42 and allow the sun to get 2 fingers higher off the horizon to start my 35 mile commute. If nothing, it's the psycholigical factor of being warmer when more of the sun hits you on the ride.
    In contrast to yesterday's dozen or more riders, I only saw 2 other riders out there this morning. Both Harleys and not the type prone to giving that little acknowledging wave of riders on the road.
    Where have all the riders gone? Anyone out there? It's getting lonely out here....hello? Will I freeze to death alone???......
    Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2008, 11:09 AM.

Up in central Alberta it was -2 C this morning. (about 30 F) and I was the only bike I saw.

Comment

heck this morning here it was in the lower 50's and raining. Of the 5 bikers that normally park in the parking garage I use for work... I was the only one out there today...

Most the herd of Harley riders out here will put their bikes up for the winter after this weekend as the mid-40's is too cold... and the relative gloominess is too wet for riding.

I'll be out there till we get a good layer of snow... though I will be in late on the days there's ground frost on the streets.

Comment

43 this morning, I saw one other bike on the road, a Ultra Glide HD. He waved. Yesterday, the only other bike I saw on my morning commute was a GL1800.

So yeah, the herd is certainly thinning.

Comment

37 on my truck thermometer this morning. Way too cold for a road wimp like me. Didnt see a one MC. Supposed to be 60 on Sat. Might get a little ride in then......
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            37 on my truck thermometer this morning. Way too cold for a road wimp like me. Didnt see a one MC. Supposed to be 60 on Sat. Might get a little ride in then......
            I saw 38....and my breath inside my helmet. Saw one other rider.

It's a great way to wake up in the morning.

Comment

LOL, I was thinking the same thing as I rode in this morning (43 degrees here as well) where have all the riders gone? I saw two other HD guys on full dressers as I rode in this morning. I do a 45 mile round trip most of it interstate.

Monday when it was 78 out I saw a bunch of riders to and from, but as soon as the temp dropped, I guess most went back to their cages.

I do admit though, if there is rain in the forecast, I take the cage.

Comment

I rode in the rain yesterday afternoon. I was quite pleasantly surprised at how great a job the Old GK's fairing did a keeping the water off me, even my legs. Truth be told, it did a better job at that than the GL1800 I owned a few years ago.

Comment

I rode into work yesterday. Granted it was at 1 PM but I got out at 10pm.
                  Had to clean a lot of dew off the bike. Sure a little cool but nothing bad enough to stop me from riding.
                  Not cold enough to bring out the snowmobile gloves so it ain't too bad
                  I'll ride until there is snow on the pavement and then I plan to ride on days it is dry.
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

68 on the way in, upper 80's now on the ride home.....

Comment

Thursday it was 29*F when I woke up and 33*F when I left for an 8.5 hour trip. Thankfully it got to 55*F for a high. I plan to ride until it snows. I figure I ride my bicycle in -30*F temps so I should be able to cycle in it too provided the roads are clear.

Oh yeah, the speed limit in town is 25mph so that is slow enough to not freeze

Comment

Lots of the bikes I usually see on my way to work have been put away. Always used to be a guy on a KLR650 by the Universities. Haven't seen him in a week.

Saw a guy go by on a W650 tonight in the pouring rain. It's not horribly cold, but about 10degC (50F). Cold enough when soaked on an open bike like the W650. Been there, done that. Didn't enjoy it as much as you folks do. If it's dry, I've been known to ride in the frost. Had some scary situations last year on the shadows from trees. We'll just say frost doesn't give much braking traction.

When I get to work, I have to be dry. Nature of the job I guess. Don't want to be wet and shivering when working with power electronics, 600VAC and 800VDC.

Comment

I ride til snow is on the ground...but I cheat in a different manner. I go to work a couple hours before sunrise...it gets coldest about an hour before sunrise. It's been high 30's/low 40's in the am and high 70's/low 80's coming home.

Comment

It was 60 yesterday. we waited till over 70 and put some long sleeve shirts on

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                              It was 60 yesterday. we waited till over 70 and put some long sleeve shirts on

aahhh...rub it in....it was 24 yesterday morning up here....

Comment

Working...
                              X