My morning commute near T-bone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My morning commute near T-bone...

Well, My morning started off splendidly. I awake this morning to my boss calling me asking me where I was...Its 915, im 15 minutes late. Im off today, I told you I had a DRs appt today and you changed the schedule for me.

"ohhhh well I must have misunderstood you...i have you off tomorrow morning"

SON OF A....needles to say, i didnt go to the Doctor today.

So, I scamper about trying to get myself awake, dressed, toss some coffee down my neck, slap myself silly, and out the door I went. She couldnt stay for me, she was selling her house today, so I HAD to go. Doctor appt be damned! This has become a bit of a ritual at my job. She F-CKS up, I cover her ass...I am getting a little tired of it.

I get my gear on, head out the bike. Damn its chilly. Good thing I got that new face cover and Thinsulate gauntlet style gloves...

Fire up that ES, man it sounds sweet...makes me glad I woke up every morning, and I head off down the road. I get on the interstate and feel that she's sufficiantly warmed up, and wack that new 1/4 turn throttle i installed and she comes to life, the Supertrapp howling like a banshee on a dark night in Blarney land...2nd, 3rd, 4th...i pass 90mph and cross that barrier where time starts to slow down around you and things become blurry...finally, just after cracking into 5th gear, I back off the throttle a little...What a wake up call!!

Down the highway I go, pressing a bit as I know that SHE is waiting on me to get there... No staties to be seen, so the bike doesnt see much less than 85 the whole way. She loves it.. the motor thrumming along happily, the howl of the pipe with that slight Doppler effect, where I hear it, but depending on the wind direction, the tone changes just a bit... Its gonna be an ok day after all.

The trip on the highway is simply much too short. I am 20 miles from home already, its been less than 15 minutes. Damn. I get off the highway and head into Springboro. The sun is bright and the temp is starting to come up a bit. Gonna be a nice day.

Traffic, Springboro is always full of traffic...grrrr. Up ahead, the light changed to yellow, the guy in front of me slows to turn right, but I am close to the "no turning back point" so I head thru the intersection. Then I see him. Some bumpkin kid in a jacked up Ford starts to turn left. My eyes immediately look for my escape route, gauging his turning speed, do i go around back of him, or try to cut out in front of him? Neither, he stops dead.... eyes wide as saucers...****, this is not gonna be fun.... Alternating, front and back brake, I need to work on these damn things crosses my mind instantly...too much rear, she locks up, ass end swings around. Foot off the brake, touch of throttle, she comes back...front brake front brake....I skirt the front of his bumper and into the clear....Heart rate is up, but im not as shakey as I thought I should be...Good thing? Bad thing?? Who cares, Im still upright, and so is my ES. Thats all that matters.....on to work...

Glad you made it mate.
    So how many ciggies did it take for the heart rate to come down?
    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post

Fire up that ES, man it sounds sweet...makes me glad I woke up every morning, and I head off down the road. I get on the interstate and feel that she's sufficiantly warmed up, and wack that new 1/4 turn throttle i installed and she comes to life, the Supertrapp howling like a banshee on a dark night in Blarney land...2nd, 3rd, 4th...i pass 90mph and cross that barrier where time starts to slow down around you and things become blurry...finally, just after cracking into 5th gear, I back off the throttle a little...What a wake up call!!

.. the motor thrumming along happily, the howl of the pipe with that slight Doppler effect, where I hear it, but depending on the wind direction, the tone changes just a bit... Its gonna be an ok day after all.

The trip on the highway is simply much too short. I am 20 miles from home already, its been less than 15 minutes. Damn. I get off the highway and head into Springboro. The sun is bright and the temp is starting to come up a bit. Gonna be a nice day.

...too much rear, she locks up, ass end swings around. Foot off the brake, touch of throttle, she comes back...front brake front brake....I skirt the front of his bumper and into the clear....Heart rate is up, but im not as shakey as I thought I should be...Good thing? Bad thing?? Who cares, Im still upright, and so is my ES. Thats all that matters.....on to work...
      Man, I love these stories, even if it costs a few gray hairs....and you survived to tell the tale of course!....I locked up that ES momentarily a few times when I was pushing the envelope, but it always behaved predictably....and I miss that unique howl of the SuperTrapp. You can hear that a mile away, not annoying, but just knowing IT's in town,like some distant wolf....
      Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2008, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Good save .. it only takes a split second man ..

Glad you rode on ..

Comment

You tell a good story! Had my heart racing there for a minute. Good save. Glad all is well.
          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Good save

Gotta watch the caggers; their downside of a wreck is not nearly as critical as it is for you on a moto.

Stay safe.

Pos

Comment

"Drive like the wind
              Straining the limits of machine and man
              Laughing out loud
              With fear and hope, Ive got a desperate plan"
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Good save man.

Comment

Damn. Nice one.

Comment

I'm more concerned that your boss called you for being 15 minutes late to work.

Find a new job my friend! (and I'm glad you survived your commute!)

Comment

Glad you got through it. Nice work.

I'll say it again: your front brake feels like mine before I put on the stainless lines. I haven't measured it, but with the stainless, I feel like I cut my stopping distance in half. Please get those brakes in shape!
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Josh, I PROMISE you, if you crash that ES I will fly to where you are & SMACK you! LOL!!! Glad you're OK! Ray.

Comment

Man am I glad to have read the positive ending - you had me going you a$$h... um I mean ... Glad to hear you dodged a big "OH NO!!!"

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                          "Drive like the wind
                          Straining the limits of machine and man
                          Laughing out loud
                          With fear and hope, Ive got a desperate plan"
                          "At the bad stop-light I leave the cager hanging off the left turn lane,
                          Race on into work, to re-live just how I did avoid the pain..."

Gotta love "Rush" songs, especially with some creative re-writing!

Regards,

Comment

I have been out of town since this was posted. Good save Josh!
                            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

so how was the rest of your ride? and your shift at work?

Comment

Working...
                              X