No announcement yet.

do the young ones like older sport bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i really like the look of the old guzzis.. hell the new ones too.

Comment

am 19 and first bike is a gs 550,i dnt care wat the other say cause she as custom front end which kinda bring its off.

Comment

Welcome to GSR troy!

Comment

Im 27, and I get the same attitude from some friends who have cookie-cutter crotch rockets....and then I have a few who say "hey man as long as you like it and your out there riding" The ones who "approve" of MY bike( as if thats needed) really get a kick out of the little things I do to it....Switching bars, polishing parts. They have no clue about the history of their machine, or manufacturer. Thanks to this site Im learning more each day as a browse. I dont post too often but Im addicted to this site, and am constantly scouring craigslist for other GS projects that I could save from the junkyard. Thats probably the biggest joy of it all for me really. I like to see how these older bikes like mine are brought back and put back on the road.
          Ive never riden on the road until last season, the 700 was my first road bike. Im looking for another GS to tinker with and get more involved myself with any motor work it may need.Thats another good chunk of the interest I have in older bikes, the process to completion and feeling of accomplishment

Comment

I'm one of the "younger generation" in my 20's and I love vintage bikes! I have an '82 GS650G and I think it's great. I enjoy the thrill of a twisty road and the lack of much/any body fairing and the fact that there is always some sort of tune-up needed:-) I'm very picky about my moto preference and (most) of the crotch rockets just don't do it for me, so before you label all of us youngins "ignorant asses" just know that we true appreciators are here, although admittedly few and far between.

Comment

i have people stop all the time to look at my bike and most of the time it is the younger ones that want to talk my head of. It might help that i have a 6inch extended swing arm with a 190 on the back and 4to1 header. but i allso have a HD so i respect every biker out there even if you on a moped

Comment

Originally posted by theprincewilliam View Post
                i'm one of the "younger generation" in my 20's and i love vintage bikes! I have an '82 gs650g and i think it's great. I enjoy the thrill of a twisty road and the lack of much/any body fairing and the fact that there is always some sort of tune-up needed:-) i'm very picky about my moto preference and (most) of the crotch rockets just don't do it for me, so before you label all of us youngins "ignorant asses" just know that we true appreciators are here, although admittedly few and far between.
                so watching some guy crash a perfectly good sport bike stunting on tv is not your idea of a good time ?:d

Comment

I initially chuckle until I realize how pathetic it is. No Brain - No Pain.

Comment

Originally posted by not a biker View Post
                    so watching some guy crash a perfectly good sport bike stunting on tv is not your idea of a good time ?:d

I love watching the boneheads who do all those crazy stunts crash. I think some of the stunts are cool the first or second time I see them, but I don't want to do them and a surely don't care to see them a third or fourth time! I haven't even pulled a burnout with my bike. I probably should this spring, if I'm going to, before the new shoes go on though!

Comment

[quote=theprincewilliam;951758]I'm one of the "younger generation" in my 20's and I love vintage bikes! I have an '82 GS650G and I think it's great. I enjoy the thrill of a twisty road and the lack of much/any body fairing and the fact that there is always some sort of tune-up needed:-) I'm very picky about my moto preference and (most) of the crotch rockets just don't do it for me, so before you label all of us youngins "ignorant asses" just know that we true appreciators are here, although admittedly few and far between.[/quote]

That's true in EVERY age range. Always has been, probably always will be.

Comment

I was 18 when I got my first bike and now I have 3, all vintage and great fun.....im sure they will be once they are running. (im 20 now)

Ya know I get when you oldies(sorry) were growing up your parents said the same thing about your cars and what ever things your were doin. listinen to rock-in-roll music.....maybe not that old......but you get my point(hopfully)

any ways in stead of being mad do what a lot of guys have done show them up in the twisties and just watch out for thos guys flyin down the road doin 120+ I personally Love working on these old bikes. I just like everything about them. they look great and stand out most deffinatly.

Comment

Oddly, I'm going the other direction...

1990 (19 years old) bought a 1979 Yamaha 650 Special (XS?) vertical twin. Crashed.

1995 bought a 1980Honda CM400. Crashed.

2000 bought a 1983 GS450. Crashed, but still have it. Being fixed now, actually.

2005 bought new Kawasaki ZRX1200. Not crashed. Still a UJM, though.

Currently looking at a ZZR600, a GSXR750, or a Triumph Daytona 675 to turn and burn with. Around here, a literbike is pointless... no place to stretch the legs.

Seems like the older I get (39 next month), the faster I want to go, albeit safely. Kinda weird, but if you think about it, modern sportbikes allow a certain kind a safety to high speed cornering, given modern tires and suspension. I consider sticky tires a safety feature. Like to do some trackdays with my next bike.
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Well

My first bike came last year when i was twenty one and it was a 78 KZ 650 and i am purchasing this saturday a 82 GS 1100 G model and i love all the older bikes crotch rockets got there safety but they got no soul. when i hit the throttle on an older street bike the hairs stand up on the back of my neck but when i rode a rocket it just felt tame i dont know who agrees but raw power for me with a side of large sprokets
                            Aaron Reid

Young but not Dumb

Comment

Originally posted by areid2009 View Post
                              My first bike came last year when i was twenty one and it was a 78 KZ 650 and i am purchasing this saturday a 82 GS 1100 G model and i love all the older bikes crotch rockets got there safety but they got no soul. when i hit the throttle on an older street bike the hairs stand up on the back of my neck but when i rode a rocket it just felt tame i dont know who agrees but raw power for me with a side of large sprokets
                              Aaron Reid

Young but not Dumb
                              Good luck for saturday.
                              Hope the bike is what you expect !
                              Post pics when you bring her home.
                              (Wished my dad rode a Guzzi too...)
                              McLoud
                              '79 GS850
                              `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                              sigpic
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

older bikes

Around here most of the younger crowd dig on any clean older bike, be it Japanese, british or american.

Comment

Working...
                                X