Tell us about your illegal street race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell us about your illegal street race

Not that I condone this behavior but here is one of my many stories ill post more later. i had posted this as a reply to another post a while ago but left out a few details.

It was June of 1996. We have a turn pike not far from my house were drag racers and muscle cars from all over the state come to meet and then set up races. I rode up there and met my friend at Roy Rogers the hamburger spot where all the action is. He hangs out there every weekend and is a real gear head. There was a guy with a 1968 barracuda (who had dropped in a 426 hemi) that showed up with slicks. he was talking to a guy with a 440 gtx and next thing you know everybody jumps in their cars and the parking lot empties out. About two blocks away is the spot everybody drag races. I get there just in time to see the start and the Cuda kicked his butt real bad. Everybody heads back to Roy Rogers and then this kid shows up on a lowered gsxr 750 with an extended swing arm and air shifter. I see the cuda and the GSXR kid talking and so they are off and the parking lot empties out and off to the drag spot we go again. The two line up, they both do a burn out to heat their tires and line up. The starter signals them with a flashlight and on the third blink off they go. The bike launches fairly hard but wheelies about 50 feet out and has to let off a little. that all it took and the cuda dust him bad. We all get back to Roy Rogers and the cuda guy starts checking out my 1150. He asks "How’s it go?" And I said "good". As I said earlier, my friend is "in the know" because he hangs out there all the time. He comes over to me and whispers "At the track, with those slicks I saw him run four passes in the 10.50 range." "I heard he has gone 10.25." Now at this time, my all time best without the nitrous on my GS1150 was 10.60 and with the nitrous only a little better, a 10.46. I had a lot of trouble with tire spin and keeping the front end down with the nitrous (juice), which I got much better at later.
    He then asked me if I want to go at it, and my mind is going a million miles an hour. I figure on the street I can probably run a 10.70, maybe hit the juice late in third or Fourth and squeeze out a 10.60? Its so hard to compare track times with street racing because there is never the same amount of traction on the street and you always run slower, but so will your opponent. Then he says how about $500?" I start to sweat and turn really chicken, that is so way over my budget. My buddy Gary butts in and says "We will get right back to you" Gary then goes around to all his friends who are there and comes back to me says him and his friends will chip in but all we could come up with was $250. We find the Cuda guy and I tell him "I got $250 and that’s it" He agrees and we all go off to the spot every one races. On the way there my heart is pounding and my mind is trying to play out how I can possibly win this thing. First, I let some air out of the back tire. Next I remove the side cover and open up the hidden nitrous bottle. I turn on the electric shifter, and do a real long smoky burnout to heat the tire. After a couple of dry hops the tire seemed to really grab, so I backed up into my burnout tracks. As the starter signaled us to get ready I revved the bike up to about 8 grand, Glanced at the tack and backed it off till about 7000 and held it there. The starter lets us go with three blinks of his flashlight and I start slipping out the clutch and dialing up the gas the rest of the way. It was a good launch for the street, no tire spin, A small floater wheelie, I could not have done much better to be honest. But despite all that, I'm still looking at his taillights which is a really bad thing in drag racing! I guess those slicks hooked up a lot better than I had anticipated! I went through first into second and as soon as I hit third gear I began spraying the juice. Through out third gear I had only made up a little, but when I got into fourth I started to reel him in. It seemed he was running out of gear and had become flat and the 1150 was starting to make up ground fast. When I got the GS into fifth the finish line was coming quick and I could see the crowd standing and parked off to the side of the road. I had now caught the Cuda and as we crossed the line and My first thought was I lost, but it was soo close I honestly did not know. Remember, we are talking 140 plus mph close to 150 and I was tucked in behind the gages and fixated ahead just trying to go strait and live to tell the story. There was a big controversy with my friend saying I had won, and his folks saying I didn't. We both agreed no money would change hands but when the subject of a rematch came up he said he had pushed his luck enough already. After racing three times that night he was afraid the cops would be there soon. I was actually relieved with the outcome and was glad he had given us an out from the rematch. I survived with all my testosterone, had a great story to tell and to this day whenever I see Gary, he swears I won that night. What’s your story?
    Last edited by skip; 12-29-2008, 09:16 PM.

street racing is illegal! that beening said on wed. i go to the bank at lunch and cash my check. one day comming back from the bank in my 67 fairlane this kid in a honda civic comes up next to me. we are running about 40mph when he starts to gas it. i had the highway gears in the car at the time (2.79to1). i downshifted from 4th to 1st dropped the clutch at 4500rpm and the tires lit up and off we went. he stayed with me for about 100 ft. then i banged 2nd and was gone. we came to a red light after that. the kid asked what i had in the car and i just said a 289 and 4 sp. he said he had a 100hp shot and thought he could beat me. went back to work with a big grin on my face. i lost my nerve to race my bikes a long time ago. 4 wheels are a lot safer.

Comment

Originally posted by heathen View Post
      street racing is illegal! that beening said on wed. i go to the bank at lunch and cash my check. one day comming back from the bank in my 67 fairlane this kid in a honda civic comes up next to me. we are running about 40mph when he starts to gas it. i had the highway gears in the car at the time (2.79to1). i downshifted from 4th to 1st dropped the clutch at 4500rpm and the tires lit up and off we went. he stayed with me for about 100 ft. then i banged 2nd and was gone. we came to a red light after that. the kid asked what i had in the car and i just said a 289 and 4 sp. he said he had a 100hp shot and thought he could beat me. went back to work with a big grin on my face. i lost my nerve to race my bikes a long time ago. 4 wheels are a lot safer.
      Fairlanes rock! I had a 1964 sport fairlane GT with a 289 auto that I converted to a 4 speed. Yes cars are safe, but the adrenelin rush on the bike is much bigger and you can go so much quicker with out spending the $$

Comment

69 cobra jet mustang

i got out of the army in 1969, i bought a 1969 shaker scoop 4 speed 428 cobras jet mustang. they used to have a class called PURE stock. no mods at all.
        i had the E pure stock track records at both irwindale and OCIR. it would turn 13.50 at 105 mph all day long. my best was a 13.39 at 108 .56 mph.
        i lived in whittier calif.
        bobs big boy was our local hang out.
        2 guys with 69 428 mustang were always their . both had c6 automatics. but they also had 427 solid lifter cams and headers. they always acted like they were faster. so one night i see a cobra jet and a boss 429 mustang going down the street. at a stop the guy in the 428 told me they were going to race on a good back street. so i taged along. they raced and the 428 beat the boss 429. so i asked the guy in the boss 429 if he wanted to race a stock 428 . he said yes. we raced and i also beat him by about 5 car lengths. he was VERY ****ed
        so now the guy in the 428 with headers and a 427 cam and i race i beat him also.the stock 427 cam prolly did nothing for the 428 except hurt mid range power. the headers might help but no way that auto trans was going to be better than me power shifting my top loader 4 speed.
        at another time the other guy with with the auto 428 and i raced from a roll , i just pulled him bad. he was in shock. i never said a thing and he never brought it up later. those were the good old days when chevron white pump 100 octain was around 50 cents a gallon. that gas was good enough for all racing engines.i never lost a street race to a stock mopar hemi or 440. one night a beater looking 66 chevill whipped my butt good. i mean he beat me so bad i di not feel bad. he must have had a healthy rat motor under the hood.
        you might think i am full of BS about beating the boss 429. well us ford guys figured out real fast that the BOSS 429( was not a fast street engine] the ports were huge but with a street cam and street compression they were slower than the cobre jet. in my openion the 428 cobra jet was the fastest street engine ford ever made . check out the NHRA stock and super stock class records . many 428 record holders then and now.

Comment

A regular thing for us in the 80's was to race from the local rock club on a sunday night over to the local motorway services for coffee & food, a distance of around 10 miles mostly through twisty back lanes, in summer there could be up to 40 of us on all sorts of bikes from gs's, zed's & 750/4's to gt250's & xs's with a few good old triumphs etc thrown in for good measure

This is where i learnt that a smaller bike with a good rider can sometimes beat a more powerfull bike, as you can imagine these spirited runs (races) where full of incident & accident with lots of folk some with a few drinks inside them competing to not buy your mates supper there, was always a bet or two on offer but it was mostly between groups of 3 or 4 mates over who was buying

Anyway i got into a "discussion" one night with a lad on a Z900 who thought he could beat me & my gs750 over to the cafe & the more we talked the more serious it got up to the point we had a bet for the princely sum of £10 (close to half my weeks wages at the time)
          Once we got out onto the lanes & could really open up his better power soon left me a short way behind & i thought all was lost but i kept it nailed as much as possable untill we hit the twisty bits where i was shocked at how slow he went through the turns i managed to pass in a very tight section where he overshot the bend & pulled into the cafe just ahead

After many coffee's & some food the lad (chris) & i became firm friends & have been for the last 20 odd years, i never did take his tenner & he soon moved on to the far better suzuki's which is a bit of a problem as ive never been able fo beat him since (but i do try lol) tone
          Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Tone, Great story. Glad you survived your youth. Glad I survived mine too!

Drinking age in Massachusetts droped from 21 to 18 when I was 17 in 1972. Changed back to 21 when I turned 22 after all the carnage. Those were wild years.

Use to make the same mad runs for "breakfast" when the clubs would throw us out at 2 am. Friends all had modified CB750s back then and I had (still have) a 74 Z1. Beautiful widow makers they are. Had one good friend with one of the first year GS750s.

Comment

Summer of '88 I had a '97 CBX, stock except for filters, jetting, and a Russ Collins pipe. One night in Fairbanks I ran into one of my work buddies on his '72 H2 Kawasaki 750. His was stock except with Denkos, air filters, and jetting.

We dragged down airport road dead even. We both ran the next (red) light and stayed even. Neither of us were sure who won.

By '87 any 600cc sport bike could have taken on either one of our bikes, but they were both speed kings in their day.

Most of my stoplight racing has been on modified Nortons. A Commando with higher compression and bigger carbs is a match for most 8 valve UJM's. Not in top end, but stop light to stop light.

My 850 Commando (still have it) beat the only GS1000 I ever ran it against. In a top gear roll on from 60 I would pull away until about 80, when he would pass me by with about 10 mph in hand and quickly accelerate away. A stop light drag for me was a dead stop to about the top of third gear on the Commando, around 90 mph at 7500 RPM. It was quick up to around 80 or so.

My secret was to shut it down while I was still ahead.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I've not raced my cycle since it's a 300, lol. But when I lived in STL and had a sports car I'd race people everyday stoplight to stoplight. Really dumb in hindsight.

Comment

I had been playing around on the freeway with a few camaro's and mustangs, and doing pretty well with a stock 1100L. One of the guys in the parts department had a mitsubishi eclipse with a 2.0L turbo, in the back window he had " 2 liter V-8 eater ". I razzed him about it for a while, until he said " I can dust you before I even hit second gear ". Well, it was on, we went out in front of the dealership to the light and lined up. The light turned green and I didn't even stand a chance. That thing took off smoking and swerving, and I just watched him dissappear. I slowly rode back to the shop knowing herassment I was about to recieve. He opened his hood, and there was a turbo the size of something you would see on a big diesel truck. He was running 28 lbs boost, and had some other goodies on it. He showed me time slips down in the lower 10's. I just ride now.

Comment

My 4 cents

Two stories, brief as possible:

When I was about 13 my father had a '76 F150 he used as a towing vehicle in his restoration business. It had a stage 1 460 and 4.11 limited slip gears. My old man was pretty damn competitive, and one day we were on a 4 lane rd, stoplight to stoplight thru town kind of thing, sitting at a light in the left lane with a built offroad truck on our right. Light changed, guy took off like a shot. With a cry of '*******!' my father sped up to prevent him passing fully, catching up at the next light staged just as before, only this is the last light in town and the road goes back to 2 lanes. At the green they both smoked the tires up and stayed dead even through first gear, then we hit second and the tires caught and just left the guy. My dad was so happy he bought me ice cream on the way home.

About 7 years I bought a '79 GL1000, that's a goldwing before they were a winnebago, for a song. Once I got it on the road I determined someone had changed the rear end gears, the bike redlined in 5th gear at 100mph. I don't know if it had any other mods, but it was stupid fast for the first 1/8th of a mile, then it ran out of revs. In central CT there is the berlin turnpike, a nice long stretch of light staged perfectly for stoplight racing. One evening I was heading up that way when a pack of crotch rockets caught me from behind. At the light it was the usual 'look at that old piece of crap' talk from the squibs, but when the light changed I left em like they were hitched. At the next light they were really keen to get a colser look so we pulled into dunkin donuts and they spent half an hour looking for the nitrous system that wasn't there.

Comment

Here's mine I'm on a 78 GS550 that I still own this day. This bike his gotten me in all sorts of trouble with the law in Arizona and Florida too.

Dec 15 1981. Worked a swing shift at Luke AFB and me and a friend are both heading to a party around Midnight on our bikes. We are at a stoplight at the corner of Glendale and Litchfield. Light turn's green and me and a friend both take off heading south. By the time I get to Luke's southgate I'm over 100 mph and my buddy just couldn't keep up. I'm coming up on Camelback rd at fully throttle and I see a bunch of flashing lights. Me now thinks it's an accident so I slow down.

Come to find out they had the road block off with 3 cars and they were waiting for me to show up, looks like I was the party. Seems there was a cop at the Circle K near the corner of Glendale and Litchfield, he didn't see me but he did hear me and radio up ahead. Now the fun part is my buddy finally shows up and I say what about him the officer said we only go after the lead bike ??? so he never got pulled over. Lucky sucker.

The bike was not register yet so I have no paper's but I did take my AF issue white and black ink kit that we had to ink our last 4 of our SS #'s on our white underwear and t-shirts with back in Basic training. I had forged a black and white sticker on the plate, lucky for me that year sticker were white and black. I can still hear and see the cops running around the bike saying it must be register cause I have a sticker. All I'm going to say is they should of took a closer look, but what the heck it's only midnight.

So they give me a ticket for racings 90+ and give me a free ride back to Luke AFB and say the bike must stay there the night and if I come back and get it before the next day I'm going to jail. The cops said that was my early Xmas present and I said thanks !!

So a few weeks later I head to court and the lady said do you want to pay the fine or see the Judge. I say how much and she said like 35 bucks. I paided it and was gone and about a month later I get a letter saying my license is revoked for racing on the highway so I had to sign up for a 10 dollar better driver course to get it back.

Alot of those folks made me look like a saint and I thought I had problems.

I got a few more when I was station at MacDill AFB Florida but they involve, a Hurricane, lot's of beer and a few strippers knocking over my bike.

Thank God I finally got married cause men weren't made to have that much fun.
                      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake View Post
                        Here's mine I'm on a 78 GS550 that I still own this day. This bike his gotten me in all sorts of trouble with the law in Arizona and Florida too.

Dec 15 1981. Worked a swing shift at Luke AFB and me and a friend are both heading to a party around Midnight on our bikes. We are at a stoplight at the corner of Glendale and Litchfield. Light turn's green and me and a friend both take off heading south. By the time I get to Luke's southgate I'm over 100 mph and my buddy just couldn't keep up. I'm coming up on Camelback rd at fully throttle and I see a bunch of flashing lights. Me now thinks it's an accident so I slow down.

Come to find out they had the road block off with 3 cars and they were waiting for me to show up, looks like I was the party. Seems there was a cop at the Circle K near the corner of Glendale and Litchfield, he didn't see me but he did hear me and radio up ahead. Now the fun part is my buddy finally shows up and I say what about him the officer said we only go after the lead bike ??? so he never got pulled over. Lucky sucker.

The bike was not register yet so I have no paper's but I did take my AF issue white and black ink kit that we had to ink our last 4 of our SS #'s on our white underwear and t-shirts with back in Basic training. I had forged a black and white sticker on the plate, lucky for me that year sticker were white and black. I can still hear and see the cops running around the bike saying it must be register cause I have a sticker. All I'm going to say is they should of took a closer look, but what the heck it's only midnight.

So they give me a ticket for racings 90+ and give me a free ride back to Luke AFB and say the bike must stay there the night and if I come back and get it before the next day I'm going to jail. The cops said that was my early Xmas present and I said thanks !!

So a few weeks later I head to court and the lady said do you want to pay the fine or see the Judge. I say how much and she said like 35 bucks. I paided it and was gone and about a month later I get a letter saying my license is revoked for racing on the highway so I had to sign up for a 10 dollar better driver course to get it back.

Alot of those folks made me look like a saint and I thought I had problems.

I got a few more when I was station at MacDill AFB Florida but they involve, a Hurricane, lot's of beer and a few strippers knocking over my bike.

Thank God I finally got married cause men weren't made to have that much fun.
                        I can't wait! this sounds like a story I want to hear!

Comment

Here is another story from my past with my GS1150E

When I bought the 1150 I started going back to the dealer to buy my " hop up" stuff. I knew the owner of the dealership and they gave me fair prices. I was looking into the Dyna coils, and he told me about one of his customers that just bought a pair. He told me the kid was coming in later that day and he would see if he had a problem with him giving me his phone no. So I could ask about how he liked the coils.
                          I got Derrik's phone no and called him up. We hit it off great, he had already done a 1229 kit on his 1150 and I had done the carb kit header, and electric shifter. He was in the process of ordering a 1260 kit and cams, And I had ordered but not received my nitrous set up and the Dyna coils.

We got together about a week later and rode all day. He bragged about no one ever beating him so I said 'lets go up to Research parkway and make some passes" Research Parkway was an industrial complex that every Fri, sat night was the host to all the local drag racers back then. We lined up and Made our first pass with his girlfriend starting us off. Now remember his bike was 1229 cc mine was still stock at 1134 cc. I nailed him out of the whole and by the finish line he had only closed the distance to about a full bike. He was anxious to get another shot, this time I beat him out of the whole but not enough . He drove around me in fourth and the score was tied. For the tie breaker I got out first again and thought I would hold him off all the way but he passed me just before the finish line.
                          We BS'd for a while after that and he admitted that if I had his motor I would have one all three races.

About two months go by he and he goes even bigger and faster with a 1260 kit cams and carbs. my bike was much improved too, I had installed the nitrous and hid it rather well.. We got together again and went back to Research Parkway this time Once again his girlfriend starts us and this time We get off the line together , He pulls away in second and third and I spray the NOS thinking ill catch right up. I must have not purged it well, because it coughed and fell flat and he just walked away. Now I wanted the rematch! so we lined up again . This time I purged the nitrous during the burnout till it was snapping from 4000 rpm to 7000 each time I hit the Horn button. I finished the burnout,we lined up an off we went. I got out first and still had a small lead when I went from second to third. Once in third I sprayed the nitrous and holy crap! the thing took off like a rocket and I won by so much that he wanted no part of a third race.

We stayed friends and talked on the phone alot but didn't ride together that much for the next couple of months. One day I get a call from Derrik and he tells me about a gang of bikers in Bridgeport that do a ton of racing for big bucks, He was there the week before and won $500 and wanted to go back that Fri night. I agreed to go but told him I was not going to race under those circumstances. We get there and there is about 20 Afro-American gentlemen with Ninjas, Gsxrs, etc. Derrik works out a deal with one guy on a obviously built ninja, extended swing arm ,air shifter bla bla bla. they run and Derrik wins 500 dollars. Next up is the "rematch" and they run again but Derrik loses and loses $500 dollars ( but it was sooooo close), Then Derrik falls for the "Double or nothing" scam and loses a grand!

Derrik was really upset because he fell for the whole sandbagging thing and wanted to get even so he comes up with this plan to rematch them using me and my bike. We switched all the blue and white body work on my 1150E bike, with his black and red 1150E. We swapped my Corbin seat for his stock seat. We both had the same V&H header so it looked really convincing. Now the problem was how to get them to let me ride.
                          The following fri night we head back to Bridgeport Derrik riding my bike with his body work,and me riding his bike with my bosy work. Derrik is wearing this fake cast on his clutch hand. He tells the guy with the ninja, that he broke it an can barely get the clutch in, and no way can he race. They start talking crap about them beating him any how and its a good thing he cant race. Derrik says "How about I let the old fart race" I was ten years older than Derrik but come on! I was only 33! I was bald however. They agree but only for $500, not the grand Derrik lost the weekend before.and what he has hoped for. I get on Derriks bike ( my bike) drive away turn into a parking lot quickly open the bottle and start heating the tire an purging the nitrous. I drive back to the starting line and one of their guys starts us off, The Ninja gets out along side me and when I start to pull away without hitting the nitrous I know he is sandbagging again. Remember my motor is only 1134 cc I had not done my 1229cc kit yet. Now if he could beat Derrik with the 1260 kit cams etc why was my 1134 cc bike pulling away? I was tempted to spray it and guarantee the victory, but I thought he was going to let me win to get me to fall for the big bucks "double or nothing" later. Sure enough I win by about two feet. Now I know the fix is in.

I tell Derrik to let them know I am afraid of getting busted and the next race is my last no matter what. Derrik says that since he tuned his bike up and its " running better" he would like a shot to win back what he lost last weekend ( $1000 dollars)They agree, (cause they were sandbagging and though they had it "in the bag") Derrik puts up a grand and all of their guys start pitching in till our $1000 is met. No comes the question of who holds the money? We don't trust them, we don't know them, and the already have sandbagged us once. They agree to let Derrick's girl fiend hold the money but only in the presence of two of their girlfriends. This was probably the best we would get so we went for it.

I did the burnout we lined up and off we went, My start was very good and although he had the swing arm, and a bigger tire we were pretty close when I went for second gear. In second he opened it up and started to pull away I shifted into third early and sprayed the nitrous at the bottom of third instead of the top of third like I normaly did. I quickly made up some distance and was alongside him when I shifted to fourth. To make it look good I sprayed all of fourth pulled away and when I switched to fifth I stopped spraying. ( I could see him mirror and new I was ahead a good amount) he was catching fast but did not catch up till way after the finish line.

Now came the real scary part Collecting the money, I was sure there would be trouble because we just scammed them right back, But like I said earlier in the post it was a buch of afro-American gentlemen, and gentlemen they were. They handed the money right over, we all shook hands and we told them we had to go. The were all laughing and stuff and nobody seemed upset at all. I got 300 dollars for donating my bike and riding skill to the night. I would have got much more if I agreed to one more race but the nitrous can be finicky and I did not know how much was left in the bottle,( plus I really was afraid of getting busted) It was not full when we started. We called it a night and stopped had a nice late breakfast/supper the a few beers to celebrate, all on Derrik of course ...................skip
                          Last edited by skip; 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Well , it wasn't really a race,but....... Back in the day I had a pretty tricky Morris 1000 four door.I'm sure our non American brothers will know the one.I was running a fair bit of MG and Mini Cooper gear.The body was all done,big wheels,flared guards,paint etc etc,so she looked a treat.I was on my way to old mates place to get the 2 barrel Weber set up and the car was running like a dog.Drowning in fuel.The carb was nearly the same size as the engine.I stop at a set of lights and had to keep blipping the throttle to keep it running when along side pulls a school bus.Shades of the Simpsons here.All the kids are hanging out the windows winding me up and bus driver dude gets into it and starts blipping the bus.This is going to be bad.Lights change and off we go.The bus starts to pull away from my coughing and spluttering Morry and as each window passes me,the little barst#rds are laughung and spitting on me.The shame,the shame.Funny now but not then.Once old mate sorted jetting etc,the Morry flew,but do you think I could find that f#####g bus again....... Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

My buddy on his Honda 360, me on my Dad's Honda 350, or maybe the other way round. One of each though. Got off work at Everett, Wa, went blasting down to Sea Tac Airport, 40 or 45 miles or so, throttles pinned all the way. Down Highway 99 through Lynwood, Edmonds, the Aurora Bridge, through the tunnel, Alaska way Viaduct, past Boeing Field. The two bikes were identical in speed, neither one of us could get more than a couple bike lengths ahead at any point. It probably helped that it was about 3:30 AM, there were no cars, nearly every light was green, no cops anywhere... At least none that wanted to spend a rainy night chasing two idiots on motorcycles.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X