Coldest winter ride stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coldest winter ride stories

OK Folks, Just to start it off. I live in SW Michigan, it gets cold. I still need to ride, ('82-1100G) I payed for year round insurance RIGHT!
    I don't keep records but, today it was 32ºF but sunny, with no snow on the ground. I had to go riding, bundled up in long underwear, ski pants, more layers, down vest, leather jacket and wool gloves inside insulated mule skin mittens. Had a nice 60 mile ride. It started to snow as I got close to home, but no problems.
    OK, now you cold weather heroes can speak up, and blow this story away.
    Let em rip!
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

I'm no cold weather hero, but the day i bought my bike which was a little over a year ago i went riding with my buddy who lives across teh street. It was probably 40 degrees when the sun was out and no snow on the ground accept a small patch of ice at the end of our street. I did not slip on the ice, sorry not a suspense thriller. When we got back it was probably in the 20's as the sun had set and my main jets sucked in some dirt, which made the ride back not so pleasant. I don't go out unless its in the 40's
    Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2009, 07:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Well, this was sometime back in the mid-70's. I was riding a Honda 360 back then. Lived in a little suburb of Westford, Ma called Forge Village, and went to visit my parents down in Rhode Island. Maybe 100 miles. Was around 32F and nice and sunny when I left around noon. Spent the day down there and decided to stop and visit a favorite aunt in Cumberland, RI on the way back home around 8 PM. Temp was now in the low 20's, maybe high teens. Stayed till a little after midnight. Temp now about -3. Got on all my layers including a snowmobile suit and headed out. Really wasn't too bad for about 30 minutes as I worked my out to I-495, but definitely started to get a little chilly as I passed Route 9. Maybe 30 minutes to go. By the time I got to 111, I was downright freezing and cranking up the throttle more and more. Heck, wind chill at 80 isn't much worse than 65. Crossed Route 2 at full throttle hoping I'd get pulled over for speeding so I could warm up. Just over 100. Finally got off the highway at 2A/110 and worked the backroads to the house.
      Finally got home. Pretty late by now, getting close to 2 AM. Had a habit of when I came home late, I would shut the bike off going down this little hill and then coast into my street and up this small enbankment onto the front yard, we're I would jump off the bike and then push it up to this sheltered spot alongside the house. Well, everything worked great until I got to the part about jumping off the bike. My legs were so frozen they just gave way under me. Fell over, bike on top of me in the middle of front yard. Couldn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes. What a ridiculous situation to be in. Finally was able to work myself out from under the bike, got it put away, went upstairs, and stayed in a hot shower until morning. Well, maybe not that long, but close.
      I continued to drive during winters for a few more years no matter what the temperature, but that was my coldest ride ever.

Comment

Working...
      X