Wings and Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wings and Wheels

Not a GS story. Just a motorcycle and airplane post. Don't remember the year, about 1975 or so...and here we go!

My friend Joe asked me to ride his '67 Triumph Bonneville from West Lafayette IN to Cincity OH. Twist my arm, I paid for the gas, 37.9 cents for premium. Joe was a graduate student at Purdue University.

Not the first time I'd ridden this Bonnie. When I crashed my '72 Yammie XS2 the Bonnie was the first, and only, bike I rode with a cast on my left leg. Plus many other times I'd con my friend out of a ride.

I left W. Lafayette early in the morning and not far from town I saw a Steerman Biplane dusting a field. I had to pull over and watch this beautiful plane at work. I guess the pilot saw me pull over to watch, because I was the recipient of my very own personal air show. He did more and more aerobatic maneuvers as the hopper emptied with insecticied.

Was he dreaming about riding a motorcycle? I was dreaming about flying an airplane (a dream I eventually fulfilled) I'll never forget that experience. I eventually got a private pilot's license...a motorcycle ride helped it happen.

A patent-pending cargo pod allows pilots to carry a street-legal motorcycle beneath common light aircraft. After landing, it takes only a few minutes to remo...
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

great story Jim. I've always dreamed of getting my pilot license. I was working at Northeast Philadelphia airport about 9 years ago. I was hired as a areal photographer, shooting lines for development and agriculture. Anyway, I lost my job when 9/11 happened and the airport shut down for over a month.

We were flying in those twin engine cessna's. The pilot let me take control of the plane only once. Was great though. I should go ahead and start taking classes.....if only I had the money.

and, that video was great.

Comment

Working...
      X