Are you riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you riding?

....or suffering from PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome)?
    I ventured out with my Venture for my 35 mile commute this morning with 26 degree temps. Dressing in layers I was still able to comfortably enjoy the commute, occassionally looking out for an ice patch or two. I've been putting hundreds of miles on my 3 bikes during the winter months, in between snow storms and avoiding ice patches from an occassionally melting of the roadside snowbanks, and now the frost heaves. The secret is dressing properly (snowmobile like gear works well) and scouting out the weather conditions, and time of day for your commute or recreational rides.
    The mornings following a warm previous day are red flags for the frozen patches of melts across the secondary roads. Major roads are straighter and beveled properly for proper runoff, but up in NH you still have to watch out for snowmobile trail crossings that leave snow and ice dragged across the pavement. Evening/overnight winds normally make for drier mornings and no frosts which leave a slight fuzz of slippery frozen dew on large patches of road. Real heavy winds with loose powder snow means leave the bike at home unless you have already scouted out your route. Nice sunny days and clear roads suddenly turn in death traps of a hundred foot stretch of drifting snow across your path. Always look way ahead, be prepared to slow or stop ahead of time, and no braking if you it's too late!
    So in light of all this maybe PMS is not a bad alternative to your early demise!!!

PMS for me.
    Now get off my friggin lawn.

Comment

We're riding in eastern Iowa. kcolton and I have put in a few miles. Along with a buddy who just bought a C50 Boulevard. We just have to watch out for the sand that hasn't washed off the roads yet.

Comment

Hi,

I will not mention that it's 72 degrees outside right now.

But I have to work until 6pm. Then I get to ride home.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Rode to school today (52 miles round trip). 35 degrees in the morning, 50 coming home. The temp gauge on the Venture didn't go up much, and only up to the "normal" range after about 10 miles. The Venture's fairing is highly protective, which helps at such times.

Still, it felt good to ride. Now if it would only go up to normal temps and stay there a couple of days with no rain. (Keep on dreaming...)

Comment

After the ice, watch out for potholes!

In SW Michigan, we're a few weeks ahead of you NH guys, not much ice anymore, but it's a dodge 'em pothole game. They're deep and plentiful, and the road crews always miss a few, (because of work breaks) , so don't trust a section that looks repaired. The country roads are a gamble, some have sections badly damaged by frost heave, again lots of weaving back and forth.
            Hey, it's great to be out ridding again!
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Riding the Venture every day!

73 degrees today, and I'll be riding with Marvinsc(Scott) and 8Trackmind(Jeff)...oh, and some HD guy too.

Comment

Took the bike out yesterday with bwringer riding along for it's shakedown ride, after alot of work..and money..and title worries
                She ran great !! No problems, other that the fact that it was my first ride since 1986. I don't think I did to bad. I bought a windshield, haven't decided if I like it yet. Sure keeps the wind off you though.

Today, I rode across town to my work and back, 75 miles roundtrip. It was really nice here today 65-70 degrees. Alot of bikes out enjoying the sunshine. Feeling good about all the work and headaches bringing this bike (and me) back to the road.

Everyone enjoy the warming weather and ride safe !!
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Finally got out for a nice ride here in Minnysnowta!

Saturday was a gorgeous day. Bike is running really well. It should after working on her almost half a summer last year !

Happy Riding!

Rick

Comment

Broke my own expectations for March and rolled the bike out for a few miles on the weekend.

Nowhere to go except around town to shop for a few small things, but the sun was out and even with temperature about 5C/42F it was a beautiful day.

After the saddlebags were filled I headed home with a big grin.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I rode over this past Sunday and put on exactly 100 miles on the old girl. Unfortunately rain has been falling off and on all week, so the bike is at home patiently waiting .

Comment

ride everyday, rain or shine. i work 5 miles from home so i take surface streets in the rain. but i ride no matter how cold it get. not having a car kinda makes it so i have no choice

Comment

Well here in central Wisconsin it has been spotty. I rode the old Junque yard 1150 20 miles to work before sun up this morning. It was all of 32 and my old knees could have used more then the jeans I was wearing. The ride home at 4:00 was in the upper 40s. The ride home felt almost tropical.
                          I managed the first trip to work a few weeks back on a Tuesday. I did around 100 miles that day. Funny but the 20 mile ride home ended up to be 80 miles.
                          I will probably ride tomorrow yet. It will be cold but we are expecting snow over the weekend and that means the roads will end up all salt smucked up (not to be ridden until the next nice rain). It should be some 25 degrees tomorrow with a high of 39. I will need my Reima pants to go with the snowmobile helmet, balaclava and my best gloves.
                          My son and I will probably make the 4 hour trip to the Munising Michigan area and do a nice spring snowmobile ride on Saturday. It is pretty cool having the chance to ride snowmobile and motorcyle in this way. Then it can thaw for the year and the old 1150 can run for the year.

Comment

Rode to work yesterday at 27F but rode home at 50F
                            Riding in again today and it is already 38F out. Supposed to be a hi of 54 today and 56 tomorrow.
                            Spring is finally here and time to start riding. Now to put that damn snow blower away and make some room in the garage.
                            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                            2000 Kawasaki Concours
                            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Just pulled all the heated gear hookups and RAM mount hardware off the sled and made the ceremonial transfer yesterday. Already have a couple hundred miles on the bike, but now it's time to get serious...
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                              X