What a surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a surprise

Having 6 days left with the bike, today (Sunday) I decided to take a leisurely ride on the country roads & watch the approaching storm clouds. I rode easy & had great views of the clouds across the open fields!

I rode a while enjoying natures beauty. After about 45 minutes of peace & tranquility, I came to an overpass which crossed over the interstate, I turned on a road just before it, rounded a slight curve, & there it was, a perfectly straight road running next to the interstate.

Resisting the urge, I rode easy. I went app 2 miles & hit a dead end, I slowly turned around & there was that perfectly straight stretch ahead of me again... no more self control! Never having gave it all it had from a start, I wondered what would it do?

Not wanting to take off from a dead start, I did a 5 mph rolling start, I pulled in the clutch, leaned all the way down on the tank almost even with the dragbike h/bars, wrapped the throttle 3 times for the effects, & on the 4th wide open wrap I let the clutch go! Imagine my surprise when the front wheel came off the ground about 2 ft! Not really expecting this bike to do this,( I had seen my friend try to do it numerous times to no avail) it caught me off guard.

After the initial shock, I was fine & stayed in the throttle. After about 4 bike lengths & most of my 250 lbs on the tank, it came down easy & I ran it out till I had to make the stop sign. I pondered this surprising event for a few minutes, then enjoyed the scenic ride back home. I have wheelied crotch rockets with no effort at all, but until today, I honestly never believed an 80 GS750E would pull this off. Call me ignorant, but it's just another experience I will never forget!!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2009, 12:02 AM. Reason: is an 80, I had 81?

I was sitting in the left lane of a 4 lane street, blinker on, waiting to turn left into a parking lot. A car came up behind me and swerved at the last minute, barely missing me. They were so close that I could hear the female passenger screaming. Their near-miss (my near-death) ****ed me off so bad that I gunned it and went after them. I slammed the throttle so hard that I lifted the front of my GS850 off the ground.

Fortunately for me, the unintended result shocked me back into reality, and I left them alone and parked it. But... it is nice to know that she has it in her.

BTW, Florida just passed a new law... your first wheelie offense will cost you about $1200. Looks like I won't be practicing that maneuver again.

Comment

I always do a wheelie when I first get a bike, that is if it will do one. Lets me know where not to rev to. Pulled my first wheelie on my 919 in the middle of a right hand turn off a stop light. Shifted from first to second and off came the wheel. Doesn't take much on that one.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment