One Lap Of Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Lap Of Arizona

In 1982 I set off with my neighbor on my 1979 GS1000N for another 2000 mile excursion on my favorite bike of all. My companion was riding a 1977 super glide, so we were the odd couple. The plan was to ride from Palm Springs to the Vegas area, then to St George, Utah and around the north Rim of the Grand Canyon and down into Arizona to the Mexican border and home. The Harley rider was unwilling to go past the first night by Lake Mead, after realizing that my range was 200 miles and his was 110, among other annoyances. So he begged off and headed home from the I15 area north of Vegas. I preferred to continue, so I rode around 1700 miles alone and had no regrets. The interesting thing about this trip was that the Suzuki broke down twice during the ride. Once the throttle pull cable broke and I had to use the push cable to continue, and once the engine died cold with an ignition wire worn thru from being too close to the chain. This happened because I had installed an electronic pickup in place of the points and routed the wire carelessly. Both items were easily fixed yet I would never have heard the end of it had my neighbor been along on the "unbreakable" Harley.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2009, 06:22 PM.

the vibration got to him i guess

Comment

A little gas can?

Originally posted by bimosuzi79 View Post
      The Harley rider was unwilling to go past the first night by Lake Mead, after realizing that my range was 200 miles and his was 110, among other annoyances. So he begged off and headed home
      Never thought of strapping a little 1 gal. can on the back? Some people are quitters.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Palm Springs to Vegas on a Harely?
        Probably couldn't feel anything below the neck after that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Both items were easily fixed yet I would never have heard the end of it had my neighbor been along on the "unbreakable" Harley.

Maybe, he bugged out and headed home for fear that his bike was gonna break down!!

Comment

Most Harley dudes I know trailer their bikes if they're going that far!

BTW, where do you and the Suzi call home now?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
              Most Harley dudes I know trailer their bikes if they're going that far!

BTW, where do you and the Suzi call home now?

I live in West Sacramento, Ca and the Suzi is long gone. I've had many since, but it was a favorite. Right now I'm bringing a nice 1980 GS1000G up to respectable riding condition and expect to ride it to my second home near my son in Texas when done. John

Comment

I live in West Sacramento, Ca and the Suzi is long gone. I've had many since, but it was a favorite. Right now I'm bringing a nice 1980 GS1000G up to respectable riding condition and expect to ride it to my second home near my son in Texas when done. John
                Where in Texas? Lots of member from here.

Comment

Working...
                X