Epic fail trip to the parts store.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic fail trip to the parts store.

Well to begin with, I just got my 83 GS650 GL on the road and been riding it around town a bit. I got home last night and noticed some oil on my boot, followed it back on the bike and seemed to be leaking on the front of the engine and the wind shooting it back... not a good thing.

I changed the oil in the fall and had new oil ready to go so figured i should empty it out and see what I could see. Thats when I remembered my bike has an oil filter, my wifes doesnt and well I mix that stuff up a lot. I noticed the oring on the cover is mashed pretty flat and there is signs some gasket sealer was used in the past. last year I just put it back on and seemed ok but think the gasket is done, as is the filter.

This is now like 5:30 and I wanted the bike to ride today so called around and the closest parts dealer had both the filter for $5 but the cover oring for $4, sounds great and they are open till 7. Its litterally 20 minutes away (not in traffic) but as expected took closer to an hour and a half to get there, oh and this was in the car with the kids in the back. I told them if they did good I would take them out for diner after the parts store.

Well when I get there I open the door, check my pockets to see if I had my wallet... I didnt, checked the car, nothing, then it hit me... its still in the driveway in my motorcycle jacket. Ok well maybe my wife can phone them in her card and pay that way, I call but she was still in class. My brother came for the ride, he had his wallet but no cards and no cash.

So after all that we drove another hour home in traffic, fed the kids and called it a night. I got to go back again tonight, and I will be sure to have my wallet on me this time.

I've done that so many times... taken my wallet out of my pocket while working my bike because it's making my ass hurt. Run to the store to get something, and realize my wallet's still in my garage.

What's totally worse is making a quick run to the grocery store and realizing (after having bought groceries) that you left your backpack at home. D'oh!

Comment

Bummer. I just did that at the grocery store. Lucky my wallet was out in the truck in the parking lot.

BTW, I can look out my living room window, across the lake and over the freeway and see 3 MC dealers. SUZ/KAW, HON/YAM, HD, and even a custom chopper shop. What a view !!
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Even if it was across the river that would be a 45 minute drive in our rush hour... Boston traffic.

Yea, I mean could have been worse almost went to eat first if traffic was lighter. Dine and dash is much harder to do with kids in tow.

Comment

I pulled a smooth one today. Took off for a lunch hour group ride and realized halfway through that my license, registration, and insurance card were on my desk...right where I wouldn't forget them. Honestly Officer, I'm legal, I swear! Made it back without incedent but I was still nervous the whole ride.

Comment

Your post was a good reminder for me. My wife's mom has been in France for the last 3 months. Her mail is being forwarded to our house. I go out to check on her house about twice a week and the lawn service left a bill on the door which I stuck in my jacket pocket. It's been there since Monday and would have stayed there if not for this.

Comment

Well ended well, went back yesterday and got what I needed.

Seemed to hold the seal now but since we got rain in the forecast I dont know for sure.

Edit.

Didnt want to bump but the gasket on the oil filter cover was my only oil leak, I was so scared I would have to do more. Took a good 250ish mile ride Saturday night and not a drop of oil leaked.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2009, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X