First year riding, couple of bonehead moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First year riding, couple of bonehead moves

This is my first full year riding, and man I have made some brain-dead mistakes that almost made me wreck. As a matter of fact, the same mistake twice!

Took off after stopping and putting it on the side stand for whatever reason (idle screw adjust..etc), and forgot to put the kickstand up somehow!!

Both times here I go getting ready to lean left a little, I hear the metal hit, the bike stands back up straight and starts to wobble as I try to figure out how the heck I'm going to not kill myself, then I tap my brakes and the wheels lock because I hit them too hard (too much rear also)...and eventually the side stand pops itself back up after hitting the pavement.

Really scary situation...and embarassingly dumb. Pre-take off routine anyone?

Originally posted by lilbilly View Post
    This is my first full year riding, and man I have made some brain-dead mistakes that almost made me wreck. As a matter of fact, the same mistake twice!

Took off after stopping and putting it on the side stand for whatever reason (idle screw adjust..etc), and forgot to put the kickstand up somehow!!

Both times here I go getting ready to lean left a little, I hear the metal hit, the bike stands back up straight and starts to wobble as I try to figure out how the heck I'm going to not kill myself, then I tap my brakes and the wheels lock because I hit them too hard (too much rear also)...and eventually the side stand pops itself back up after hitting the pavement.

Really scary situation...and embarassingly dumb. Pre-take off routine anyone?
    I must admit ive done that I time or two in the past. Once, on my ex 1100G, it had a weakish side stand spring, and it came down on me on the highway, and i hit a bump and it locked in the extended position. I tried like hell to kick it back up while paying attention to the road, but to no avail. I had only one out, as a pretty sharp lefty was coming up ...at any rate, i ended up in the grass median with a speedy heart rate...

Now days, as soon as my arse hits the seat, the stand goes up. Its now second nature, but it took me a lil while to train myself of that. Plus, most of my bikes have that nice sidestand light that is a great reminder

Comment

Side stand lessons.

Embarrassment is a great motivator. I tried to pull away from a gas pump the first time I filled up my EX500, but as soon as I let out the clutch the engine would quit it was a Kawasaki safety feature, no brains-no go .
      I pulled out from the same gas pump on my GS1100G, started to lean left and holy sh–t my bad.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by lilbilly View Post
        Pre-take off routine anyone?

Yes,
        Everytime...
        Leg over seat, butt on seat, lean bike over, sidestand up.
        1-2-3-4 .... Every time.
        After that can vary, start bike or not start bike. But those 4 things the same everytime.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I do the same thing as the others. Sit on bike, side stand up before even turning the key.

You need to just make it a habit. It will come.

Keep safe.

Cheers,
          spyug

Comment

Of all my times getting on and off the bike I've only forgotten to put the side stand up once and down once...Forgetting to put it down is worse than forgetting to put it up, especially when it happens at a gas station

How you ever made the same mistake twice is beyond me...

Comment

Working...
            X