first ride on my bike!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first ride on my bike!!!!!!!!

Had to share with you fellow list members!
    Just finished my 8 nite, (3 hours a nite) riding course provided at a local college and learned a tonne! I am a newbie (having ridden a dirt bike about 30 years ago for a total of 10 minutes, and not getting it out of second gear) so i am veryyyyyyyy glad I took the course and actually learned how to ride a bike.
    Purchased the bike in November of last year, had it sitting in my garage, did the recommended maintanence, stared at it, sat it, cleaned it, etc. up until yesterday.
    Was a little concerned as the bikes we learned on were honda 125's, but had zero problems adapting to mine. Went out with a buddy and had a friggin blast. I love my bike!!! Have to get a little more street time and I am going to be ready for the driver's test you have to take here in Alberta to get my class 6 (motorbike) license.
    Oh yeah...even got my first wave...it was even from a Harley guy!!
    Anyways, i know most of you veteran riders can remember your first ride like it was yesterday. I will always remember mine!
    Cheers
    Rick

Well done.

Just take your time and don't get cocky as the streets can be really mean. Statistically , you will have an accident in the first season. Hopefully it won't be anything big and you won't get injured, don't let it scare you but keep it in the back of your mind.

You have a big powerful bike so treat it with respect. It can bite you if you don't pay attention so keep focused when you ride. You have new skills to learn and the street is not the best place to learn. As much as you can, get out to a parking lot and practice manouvering that bike. At slow speeds it is going to be a handful but to truly master the bike you need to be able make it go where you want at walking speed.

Riding is a never ending learning curve so read everything you can and practice, practice and practice some more. The best reading for newbies is David L. Hough's Proficient Motorcycling series ( 2 books about $20 each available from all good book stores).Chock full of information that can make you a better and safer rider.

Enjoy the new ride and the great sport.

Stay safe.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Congratulations, Rick!
      This is one of those GOOD addictions.
      Keep waving.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Congratulations !!!!!!
        Seems like a nice course. Did they supplied the Hondas to take the course on ?? Nice.

Ride safely !!
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Congrats ! May this be the begining of many wonderful adventures.
          Cheers

Comment

That's awesome! Take it easy out there and before you know it you will have thousands and thousands of miles under your belt!

Comment

Did the course provided riding time in a closed circuit?
              The first few falls will most likely occur at very low speed.
              Your moto-x experience will help you for those, but also couple of moto-x habits will harm you in others.
              Don't sit on the tank and strech the leg when cornering...

Ride safe!!
              McLoud
              '79 GS850
              `98 GSF1200 Bandit
              sigpic
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

kudos on the class
                and def continue your education by reading proficient motorcycling.
                and videogoogle Ride like a pro too.

have fun, and keep the greasy side down!
                "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

more on the course...

Yes...the college provided the bikes...and there were 12 in our class...all newbies. Everything we learned was at slow speeds...even had the instructor walk beside us on one of them...had to go slower than him! All in the parking lot with painted patterns on the ground...all at realllllly slow speeds. Learned how to emergency stop, collision avoidance, start on a hill, how to go over a 4x4 piece of wood...(should one of those ever fall of a truck..lol)..etc. Was really, really good and should be mandatory for new riders. It was no problem getting on mine. Respect the bike, ride safe, and be ultra award of your surroundings. I get it...and look forward to many miles on this bike.
                  Cheers

Comment

Rick,
                    Good job on the maiden voyage. I also completed a safety course last week, got my Class 6 and took my first ride ever yesterday after work. I'm 33 and have never been on anything other than a 50cc scooter until the weekend. The safety course gave me a lot of confidence in my skills and I passed my motorcycle road test without any demerits.
                    Just the short 10km I did yesterday around the neighbourhood sure made me realize why people love being on a bike.
                    Blair

Comment

Working...
                    X