Rebuild Gone Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild Gone Bad

I recently helped a friend freshen up his 81 GS1100E motor, (rings, lapped the valves, valve seals, and every single gasket and seal on the motor). To make a long story short, I made him adjust the valves, so he could learn how. Apperently, he didn't torque 2 of the locknuts enough, and the nuts and studs took a trip through the motor at about 400 miles after the rebuild. It looks like one of them went through the timing chain and ruined the tensioner and chain guide. So far the list of damage is, 1 broken rocker arm, all the valves are bent, 1 cam, timing tensioner, and the timing chain guide. I'm pulling the head tomorrow, hoping the pistons are OK. The moral of the story is, MAKE SURE YOU PROPERLY TIGHTEN THE LOCKNUTS ON THE VALVE ADJUSTERS!!!!

The moral of the story is, MAKE SURE YOU PROPERLY TIGHTEN THE LOCKNUTS ON THE VALVE ADJUSTERS!!!!
    That really sucks. I guess you should have double checked his work before putting the valve cover back on. On the occasions that I have helped beginners do mechanical work, I usually double check what they have done before letting them drive the vehicle.

Comment

It can happen, One time I was helping my father change a water pump in his car. Told him to tighten the pulley bolts. Needless to say they didn't get tightened & the pulley came off & serpentine belt got torn up. So yes you need to double check esp when working with someone else

Comment

All I can say is CRAP

Comment

Correct

Yes, I should have double checked after he set the valves, so I'll take my 30 lashes. I assumed he would know to properly tighten the nuts, since he is a certified machanic. Hopefully, I can scrounge up enough valves to get him fixed. I should have everything else.

Comment

I have some spare valves

Originally posted by kyscootertrash View Post
            Yes, I should have double checked after he set the valves, so I'll take my 30 lashes. I assumed he would know to properly tighten the nuts, since he is a certified machanic. Hopefully, I can scrounge up enough valves to get him fixed. I should have everything else.

Comment

Even the good can make mistakes.

Your buddy is a certified mec., and still overlooked a detail. I bet he's burned up inside, tough. Something must have distracted him that day.
              A lifelong mec. friend once helped me on a race day with my car. His job was to put the street wheels back on the car, then we were to drive over to his house. I was hearing noises on the way over. When we got there I check over the car. He had overlooked torquing the lugs! I was lucky to have 4 wheels. I had some confused thoughts about him after that.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

a friend of mine had to find a new crank case she messed hers up after someone else helped her change the oil on her ninja 500 and didn't tighten the drain bolt

long ago dad had to get a new tranny for a car cause he had me drain the oil for an oil change. lets just say i had never seen a drain bolt on a tranny before. no big deal just put new tranny fluid in cepst the stuff dad put in had um water in it too.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyscootertrash View Post
                  I assumed he would know to properly tighten the nuts, since he is a certified machanic.
                  you know, i know a guy like that. he's a certified mechanic. when he went to fix his lawnmower, (which had power to the ignition, but wouldn't start) he tore the mower deck apart.

turns out one of the connectors going to the starter solnoid wiggled loose and got corroded. cleaned it up, boom. mower. took about 5 mins of troubleshooting.

now why couldn't an "expert" of 15 years figure that out? i have no idea.

i'm glad he's not working on my car, though. I have no paitence for parts changers vs actual mechanics.

Comment

Update

OK, finally got time for the tear down. Timing chain guide is broke, only bent the intake valves, and found the wandering screws. We started lapping valves in the head today. We're going to work on it again next weekend. Hopefully, she will live again.

Comment

We're all human, and the guy that never makes mistakes is not doing a whole lot.
                      The secret is not to make the same one twice.
                      McLoud
                      '79 GS850
                      `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                      sigpic
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Working...
                      X