Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Father and Two Sons Trip

Here's a web page about our trip to NM and CO last week:

My dad will be 70 in June and he restored my 1982 GS1100E with help from folks here at GS Resources. I just installed a Windjammer SS fairing on it and we left for the trip. It was a blast!

Great writeup with some great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to take a multi-day camping trip on the bike. Some day...

Comment

Nice !! Thanks for the pictures. I always enjoy seeing people's adventures.

Looks like a wonderful trip.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Unfortunately we didn't get to camp as much as we wanted to. Actually only one night, and we hauled the gear the whole trip. On our 2007 trip we camped almost every night.

Since we're all over 50 now, we're getting soft! Cold is one thing, but cold AND wet is too much!

It was a great time, and was our third trip together. All the trips are linked from this home page:
        Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2009, 12:12 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Cool!

Great story, including the maps was a great idea.
          Bill
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

What was mined in all those mining towns? Here in California it is generally gold but what about there? Beautiful pictures and fantastic narrative BTW

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmylion View Post
              What was mined in all those mining towns? Here in California it is generally gold but what about there? Beautiful pictures and fantastic narrative BTW

Kim
              To be TOTALLY honest I don't know. I think most of them started out looking for gold and/or silver but once they found any usable ore they ran with it. I do know that Crested Butte is fighting a molybdenum mine someone is trying to open in the next year or two. Lead was mined in nearby areas.

Maybe the Creede, Ouray, or Crested Butte websites offer some help...I'll see what I can find.

Comment

Creede was a silver boom town. Mines were open continuously from 1890-1985. First mining silver, then zinc and lead.

Crested Butte was a coal and silver mining town. Coal proved more profitable, as there wasn't much silver.

Ouray was a silver and gold mining town, with over 30 mines operating at the peak.

Pitkin had mines which found iron, lead, gold, silver, and copper. Again more than 30 small mines operated at the peak, which was short-lived.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  Great story, including the maps was a great idea.
                  Bill
                  I have to admit I stole the idea from Kerry, one of the moderators and long-time contributors on the GS500E forum. I use Microsoft Streets and Trips to plan my trips and it's fairly easy to export the maps as graphic files to include in the web page.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the pictures. It's pretty hard to screw up pictures of great scenery!

Comment

Nice story and write up.

Can I buy the windjammer from you so you're 1100E will be naked...and classic....again?

[not a fan of the windjammer...sorry]

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
                      Nice story and write up.

Can I buy the windjammer from you so you're 1100E will be naked...and classic....again?

[not a fan of the windjammer...sorry]

~Adam
                      Thanks for the compliment.

No, you cannot buy the Windjammer! I rode the bike for over 1,000 miles naked. I have a 1998 GS500E that is a naked sport bike already and I ride it frequently. I agree the GS1100E looks better without the Windjammer, but practicality rules when touring. Out here on the plains, a fairing on a touring bike is pretty nice -- I'm often riding in 25-30 mph winds.

Comment

What an incredible trip and those MOUNTAINS make our easten hill envious. Someday, (don't all daydream start that way?) when the kids are on their own and I'm sure the bike will make to two gas stations in a row, I'd love to take just such a tour.
                        bill

Comment

What a great story, you are very fortunate to be able to make such a trip with your dad. I have two small children and hopefully I'll live long enough to be able to go a ride with my sons.

Comment

Awesome trip report!!

Next time you're in OKC give me a holler, we can go for a quick ride.

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments. My dad is in excellent health and is pretty fearless! I hope I can do that in twenty years.

Windjammer update:
                              It's coming off, at least for the summer. It was great in the mountains, but I took a ride on Friday in the 90F temperature range. Even wearing mesh jacket and pants and even with a cut-down windshield, I was burning up. By contrast, my 1998 GS500E with an F-16 windshield is pleasant to ride in the same conditions with the same gear. I have a couple of small windshields which I will try on the GS1100E in place of the Windjammer for the summer.

The other modification will be getting rid of the !@#$^% Chinese rear shocks/springs. They are so stiff that it feels unsprung (solid) even on the lightest preload setting. On the NM/CO trip, with the bike totally loaded, it seemed better -- at least bearable. On my solo ride Friday (on awful local roads) it was MISERABLE. First I'll try to fit the stock rear springs on the new shocks. I have no idea if that's possible or not. If not, I'll spring for Progressives or Ikons.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2009, 01:17 AM. Reason: corrected spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X