Feel like a rookie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feel like a rookie...

After being out of the saddle for a while and working on my GL, I've finally got to put some miles on her.Being this is a GL and not my former G, there are differences. This is a good machine, but I prefer my G.

Anyway, 3 of rode to Albany, NY for a rally a couple of weeks back. The bike wasn't at 100% but made the trip. My 1st boo-boo was at a fuel stop. I was putting the kick stand down and got my boot caught between the exhaust and the ground, stepped off the bike, off balance and went tumbling across the parking lot trying not to faceplant. it was quite a site, and I was laughing, my buddies were laughing and the old guys watching were just shaking their heads. The bike came to rest on the case guard like it belonged there. No damage, other than my pride.

Yesterday, our ABATE chapter had a run and BBQ, weather was great almost all day. Everything went well, the a storm came in off the lake very rapidly. We had a 35 mile ride to home and thought we could stay ahead of it. My buddies did, I didn't make it. I had forgot to fuel up after the run and needed to. I got a few sprinkles and drove out of it, figured I'd be ok. Thats when I realized I needed gas. While fueling, it started to pour. I didn't want to waite for it to pass. Great oppertunity to try out the new rain gear(2 piece Frogg-Toggs), the rain let up some while doning my gear. The ride was OK, didn't get wet at all. Really impressed with the rain gear. About 1.5 miles from home had to go down a big hill to a stop. Cars were comming, got into some gravel and a little to much front brake, came to a stop, front dug in kicked the forks left and I laid it down on the right side. Past the case guards, twisted my ankel, damaged my pride again, no damage to the bike, have to wash off some gravel though. All the cages drove past, not one even slowing down. Picked the bike up and drove the rest of the way home. I forgot to mention this was in the dark about 10 pm. Like I said rookie mistakes, enjoy.

Andy
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

me too

On my first long ride, i was on the return trip, about 100 km from home. I had ridden hard that day and the 2 previous and knew I was a bit low in oil, but was trying to get home before stopping. The dark caught up with me and I chose to go down a short logging road to the river campsite I had scoped on the way up. Some big rock got kicked up into the engine case from the front wheel. It panged hard and startled me. I needed to get off the bike and rest, so i didn't think much of it.
    Once I unpacked to sleeping bag and had a fire going, I quickly downed a bottle of something boozey to numb the 12 hours of vibrations. I fell into a restful sleep between the fire and the river.

I had parked the bike on the centre stand and planned to walk up to the gas station in the morning to top up the oil.
    When I checked in the a.m., there was no oil at all! Had the rock cracked the engine case? Seemed doubtful, so I inspected the road for my spill and found nothing except salmon bones. Walked up to the gas station (5 minutes) but small town Sunday at sunup, it was just me and a few cats. Nobody would be at the station for 4 or 5 hours!
    Sauntered back to camp and pushed the bike back up the steep river access road. What else was there to do?
    At the top, sweaty and hot, I decided to check the oil again just for the heck of it. Low!?, but passable. huh?

I had parked on a 'flat' spot that was inclined just enough so that there was nothing on the dipstick when i had checked the first time.

this dipstick should have been checked.

Comment

Your OK on your own.

I'm just like one of the cagers, all we can do is read about your falls and move on. You don't need anybodies help, or comments. You just had a clunky day. Next time, have a great day!
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Oooh. Feel stupid, but the bike's OK. If it were the other way 'round (Actually ridden dry the night before), you'd have been right but the bike could have been trashed.

Which way would you prefer it?

Thanks for telling the story.
        Mark Fisher
        sigpic
        ..............................27 years

Comment

Hey Andy, good to see your back at ridin again...........Hope all is well in the saddle.

Comment

So far so good. Did a 700 mile trip 3 weeks ago, about 350 this past weekend, probably go to West Virgina in July and Moosehead is a sure thing in Sept
            1984 GS1100GK
            1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Getting ready for the monster trip next June, 5 week trip to Alaska!!
              1984 GS1100GK
              1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Glad your back

Andy Glad your back riding again, it's great to know someone is taking my place as I am now the one injured and down for probably the season. I have reservations at Rifrafters for a tent camping site for the Wva rally soif you don't mind tenting it your more than welcome to take my reservation as I'm out till the wrist, fingers and foot heals. Congrats again and dont worry about the slight mishap at this point, we have all done that one a time or two.

Nate

Comment

Don't feel bad, just learn from the mistakes!

This last summer, I was riding my 750 up to UNCC from Atlanta for a research internship. I was pulling up to the campus tag office parking lot and my jaw dropped at two hot hunnies walkin up the sidewalk in front of where I was pulling in. Unfortunately, I was too busy staring to realize I was parking on a good slope.....Put the foot down expecting about four more inches of ground, and toppled right over. The girls loved it.

Comment

Andy---- STOP IT!! Keep the rubber side down!!

Just giving ya grief. Glad you're back on two wheels and enjoying it. Do you have any anxiety left from the T-bone? RJ

Comment

Posted pics of Damage from 6/6 accident

Ok finally posted pics of the damage from my mishap last weekend. Checkout the pics in my albums section of my profile

Nate

Comment

Working...
                      X