purring again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

purring again

Some times a little perspiration and blood is a small price to pay to hear an all but forgotten sound, four cylinders humming along. My fourteen year old daughter said it sounded like a big cat purring!

It started this winter, small oil leak at the cam shaft cover. Ok, this isn't hard to fix, new gasket, right? Oh Yeah right! One of my manuals starts off Cam Shaft Cover removal, Step 1, see figure 3.1 remove engine. Alrighty then, lets see what the good folks at GSR say. Got lots of good advice. Seat off, tank off, farring off, THE horns need to come off? It is begining to look like removing the engine is the easier route. While the cover is off lets check the valve shims. Oh by the way, what are valve shims and how do I check them? Well, I know now. How much fun was that! The tank is off, the air box and carbs are resting is a pool of oil in a trash can lid and there are parts all over the garage. Good thing I have a garage, if this project had moved into the house I would have been moved out. I love my wife, I love my money, I chant that little phrase often.

Since the tank is off and dry, let's clean it too ? Ok got the stuff from my favorite cycle shop and it sounded easy . Washed out the tank and there was lots of truly wonderus stuff in there (I think a mouse family tried to set up housekeeping). Anything worth doing is worth doiing three or four times right? End result the tank is clean.

Carbs are off let clean them too . Compressed air is my friend . It is a good thing I need to wear glasses so I can see otherwise I would have been introduced to the effects of gasoline on the cornea . Who ever said take pictures as you take these little VM carbs apart is a brilliant person.

Any rate the Little Dragon is getting closer to rolling on it's own. Carb cleaning went well, Got the carbs bench synced and the some gas in the tank, reconected the battery and hooked up the charger, and despite my best efforts she started. Not that I'm inept when is comes to things mechanical, I have a metric phillips head screw driver, but I usually take the car to the shop for the oil change. Let's just say this has been as much fun as an old fat guy should have.

Seriously, ask questions about how these things work, talk to people, read the books and take your time, I can't wait until I have to take the transmission apart !See you on the road, most likely by September!
    bill

Enjoyed your post immensely !!

Congratulations on reviving your bike !!
    Your reward is the purrr

Comment

Great story. The most fulfilling thing about working on bikes and cars is hearing them run after you've had them apart! Especially when they run BETTER...

Comment

Working...
      X