Broken GS on cross country trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
    What about the possibility of putting a tube in it? Might be a good temporary fix until you get home.
    They're riding from Oregon to Maine.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Got a used wheel in Missoula on Tuesday, and had a tire mounted. Unfortunately, it needed new bearings badly, and I could not get any until late Wednesday. All is good now, we are in Pierre, SD. Made about 550 miles today, plus went to Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, Spearfish Canyon, etc.

We have ridden a lot of canyons. Skipped Bear Tooth and went through Yellowstone instead.

So far so good.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Got into Maine on Wednesday. 4300 miles. The 3 G's finished fine. It was a great ride.

Comment

Pictures, Paul

We demand pictures!
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That was quick. Glad you had no more trouble.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Hey, its not truly an adventure till something breaks!

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                Got into Maine on Wednesday. 4300 miles. The 3 G's finished fine. It was a great ride.
                Man, are you the one that brought all this rain.
                Just kidding. Glad to see the rest of your ride went ok.
                We should get a NE GSR ride up to see you and say hey.
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                  Welcome to the East coast, Paul.
                  You earn the iron butt award for this year!! Are you all set with that 850G replacement wheel? I have an '80 850G spare front rim (old tire off and bearings in decent shape) you can have...let me know.
                  Hopefully your nephew let's you test ride the "new" 1100E, if you're not too sore!

Comment

I'll post some photos when I get them. We actually took very few. We needed to make miles.

I'm good with the front wheel. The one I have is a direct identical replacement. Thanks for the kind offers. I should have had one shipped. Between the cost of truck rental, and the time it took to get the new bearings, etc. It probably would have been more expedient. It certainly would have saved a lot of money.

Todd's Eastern Oregon routs were fantastic. In and out of Fossil, then the county road to La Grande. US 14 in Wyoming, and SD was very nice. My brother in law ran into and killed a deer on Lolo pass. He didn't crash though. I saw the whole thing in my mirrors. The front fender on my formerly pristine 'other GS850G is now a bit bent. That bike also spit out a spark plug for some reason. I installed an insert. It seems fine now.

We rode through Yellowstone rather than taking Bear Tooth Pass. Weather and construction on the pass...

I flew back to Oregon yesterday, and will be heading back to Alaska on Saturday. Back to work.

We went through a lot of beautiful country. Almost no interstates.

Lurch, I didn't have a chance to ride the 1100E I bought from you. I did see it though. Its quite presentable. Sounds good too.
                    Last edited by 850 Combat; 06-26-2009, 10:20 AM. Reason: Typos (Needed to add more of them)

Comment

Working...
                    X