Just took the MSF course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just took the MSF course

I just finished the MSF Basic Rider Course and had a great experience with it. The instructors were very knowledgable and friendly. I was wondering what kind of shape the bikes would be in since they spend their entire lives being ridden by newbies but they were very clean and everything operated as it should. I never knew a 250 could be so much fun. The course gave me a lot of confidence in myself and taught me quite a bit. I think the biggest thing I learned was how to use counterweight in slow speed maneuvers. I never thought I would be able to do the two U-turns in the box but I ended up having room to spare when I tested. I also learned just how easy it is to lock up the rear wheel, still need to practice a bit on that one.
    I want to put out a big "thank you" to all of the instructors out there who care enough to teach us newbies how to safely operate a motorcycle. As an example of the quality of the instructors we had, every student in my class passed. We had four perfect scores, the worst score on the riding test was -8, and the lowest score on the written portion was a 96%. Half of the class had never even been in a bike before.
    On a side note, I saw something pretty cool. A Suzuki GN125 did some wheelies as the rider learned clutch control! If the wheel only comes 2" off the ground does it still count as a wheelie? My 250 Nighthawk wouldn't do it
    For those of you who have taken the course, what was the most valuable thing you took away from the course?

I took the course last year to earn my license as that is an option as opposed to just taking the test at the DMV here in PA, (the added benefit of 12 hours worth of training by knowledgeable and capable people who ride themselves , and for free, as it is for any PA resident, was great!) I would suggest anyone who has that option, to capitalize on it! Even people in the course who had ridden for years before and let their motorcycle endorsement run out, said they learned alot of stuff in the class.

As to the shape the bikes are in after they use them, here in PA, they are decommissioned at 3k miles and sold at auction. I know this, because my first bike is a Honda CB250 Nighthawk that had been used in the courses, a friend of mine bought it at auction to learn to ride on, and then sold it to me when I first got my MC permit. They bike is in great shape other then a few superficial mars to the paint, as the Motorcycle Safety Foundation regularly maintains them during their period of use, and does a full inspection before they are sold. I have since put almost 3.5k miles on it myself since I bought it, and my dad regularly rides it to meetings, or when we are both going to the same place on a nice day.

TL;DR MSF course is great, take it! Bikes take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

Thanks for your time!

Ben
    Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2009, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruin View Post
      My 250 Nighthawk wouldn't do it
      Yes it would.
      Congratulations.
      No go out and carefully learn the rest of what it takes to ride.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruin View Post
        I just finished the MSF Basic Rider Course and had a great experience with it. ..........
        For those of you who have taken the course, what was the most valuable thing you took away from the course?

COngraulations.

WHat I learnd most when took MSF class (after riding 20 years):
        - look way thru curve (not a yellow line, not at edge of road). I kinda knew that, but wasnt looking far enough ahead.
        - is best to set speed before entering curve, not braking or downshift in curve. I suppose I knew that but didnt practice it.
        - how well some of the novices did, better than some of the expereince riders. One teenage boy was so annoyed that his mother did so much better than him.
        - I got annoyed with some of thier seemily petty requirements like how many fingers to have on brake/clutch, which foot to put down at stopp. Instructor pulled me off course and merrly said "that is what you have to do to pass the class".
        - how one lady could not hardley learn anything. Kept dropping bike, Wabbling all over the place, one time ran wild acrost the course. So they worked with her off to the side. And then she walked away in later in the morning. I think she was invited to leave.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I had a lot of fun taking the MSF course. And Ill be honest, I didnt learn to ride the "right" way when I was a kid. Like most kids, I rode like a fool tearing chit up. When I stated riding street, I didnt do much better. Ive rode lucky, but the course seemed like a good idea to refresh and see what I didnt know. Well worth the money spent. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

So they worked with her off to the side. And then she walked away in later in the morning. I think she was invited to leave.

Priceless.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What to do, and what you have to do.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              WHat I learnd most when took MSF class (after riding 20 years):
              - look way thru curve (not a yellow line, not at edge of road). I kinda knew that, but wasnt looking far enough ahead.
              I try to do that, but all the roads here are in such bad shape, I have to watch for: sand, gravel, seams, bumps, broken pavement, potholes, small animals and pickups crossing over the yellow. The same curve will be in different condition next time I use it, so I have keep vigilant.
              Bill
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
              X