Rode my first Ducati

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rode my first Ducati

I took a Fathers day ride over N. Cascades Hwy. this past weekend. It rained most of the way, but I didn't really mind, just worked on being smooth while still maintaining a good clip. When the rain finally stopped at the top of the pass, the road gets rather boring, so I actually had more fun in the rain.

When I arrived at the cabin a heard a friend of a friend might be showing up on a bike tomorrow, if the weather held up. I was sitting on the screened porch when I heard a sound. I could tell it was a Ducati going through the gears. I got up and walked out to the driveway to see a black bike overshoot the driveway and pull a u turn. It wasn't a 1198, but a nice bike nonetheless. A 2005 999. We talked bikes for awhile then went on a Mtn bike ride. When my wife and I got back, I asked her if she looked at the bike? She said I thought you were joking when you said you heard a Ducati. I said no its sitting in the garage.

She looks at it and says, I want to sit on it, go ask him if I could sit on it. So I did. He said sure she can sit on it. Then he said, you could take it for a ride if you want. Hmmm, what to do? I've only ridden three v-twins. 1977 XLCR, 2001 Buell Lightning, and a 2001 Aprillia RSV 1000R. The Aprillia was the newest and most expensive bike I ever through a leg over. About $18000 with Oz wheels, Ohlins, Brembos, pipe and chip.
    Almost laughable overkill compared to my dinosaur Kat.

So he backs it up, starts it, and lets it fast idle for a moment and then says, go take for a hotlap, do whatever you want, I trust you. I just met this guy three hours ago. The bike has a Leo Vince slip on to add a little thump to the exhaust note.

Hydraulic dry clutch and tall gearing, I pull out and puts some revs on in 1st shift to second, like butter, very nice transmission. It pulls flawlessly at any rpm, but doesn't feel like its working at all. Once you hit seven grand there is a nice hit of power, but the roads I was on was quite dirty with sandy gravel in the turns and I saw two deer. I took it up to about a 100 mph third. The closed throttle deceleration was the most intoxicating, just letting the engine slow things down. I felt like a real barney in the corners, it felt so totally different than my Kat. The sand convinced me not to try and push it. I only rode it about 15 miles in 65 degree weather and my rear was beginning to roast from the pipe underneath the seat.

It was a fine unexpected Fathers days treat.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

They do make some GORGEOUS machines. I personally like the Duc 1000GT (the cafe racer lookin one) Of course, i would find it REALLY hard to let go of that much cash, and ive never really appreciated the sound of a thumper. I love my I4 "sewing machine" sing just a bit too much i think..

Comment

Great treat is right.
      How was the ergonomic set-up? Cramped? Tolerable?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ducati - the finest motorcycles the world has EVER seen!!

Comment

I love Ducatis....Some day....
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

The ergonomics weren't cramped, but the clipons mount under the triples. A lot of weight on the wrists with low flat clipons. I imagine a 250 mile ride would be fairly painful.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I had an st2 for about a month. It was gorgeous to look at, fun to be seen on, stopped better than any bike I ever rode before or since, and had more potential than I could ever use as far as handling. BUT... the clip ons were HORRIBLY painful.(and they are relatively tall for a ducati) and that darn dry clutch rattling like an empty paint can drove me nuts! Mostly though it just hurt my hands and wrists too much to be a daily rider. Traded it in for a dyna low rider convertable.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2009, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                The ergonomics weren't cramped, but the clipons mount under the triples. A lot of weight on the wrists with low flat clipons. I imagine a 250 mile ride would be fairly painful.
                My 86 gsxr was the same way. I lowered the forks just enough to get the clip-on claps above the triple tree. Made a huge differance in the riding position.

Comment

Heathen,

I rode an 87 GSXR 7 from Berkeley CA to LA CA. By far the most uncomfortable seat I ever sat on. Narrow and sloping, my rear was seriously protesting after only 50 miles. I felt like one of those magazine testers, whining about some little discomfort.

Comment

Lucky Dog.

How far did he ride it, to get to Winthrop?

BTW - The ZX is waking up nicely from its long slumber...

Comment

Ted,

He rode it from Bellingham. I guess he used to own a Monster S4R and is missing it already. He said he's only had it for a month or so, 1700 miles on the clock. Shipped from Texas with only 600 miles on it. Mentioned the Monster had much more low end grunt than this thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X