WolfHead Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back home

6621 miles since I left home 3 weeks ago to head East, circle Lake Superior and return. And to be honest, my butt feels every one of them. But my bike and I made it home safe and intact. Not too bad.

Today I traveled along the Oregon coast from Florence to my home in Crescent City CA. As I rode and shared stories with other biker on the way, that was one of the great rides many said was one of the best. Living right on it, I sometimes take it for granted. But today as a final leg of my journey, I took it all it. The wind, the curves, the sun, a great feeling to come home to.

The old GS was buzzing right along today as well. The cooler temps, the sea level altitude keeps her happy. Up there in the higher Rocky Mtn region, I was not sure she'd ever make it over the top.

When I was packing for the trip I tried to take what I could to cover most riding situations. And for the most part I think I did ok. I stayed dry, I stayed warm, I was able to make repairs on the road. But if there was lesson learned, I was weak in traveling in the heat. I got pretty dehydrated coming across Idaho. The bike as a machine was wonderful, but this trip was putting it to the end of it's capabilities. In head wind, and high altitude locations I was not able to maintain freeway speeds. Add to that the effects of the heat, more power was lost there. A cross country trip under the conditions I met would be been better met with a water cooled engine in the liter class size.

Now I'll make some repairs, check all the adjustments, and start planning next years trip.

Get out and ride,
    Mike

Comment

I've got some the pictures uploaded to my yahoo albums. You are welcome to look them over. The album "wolfhead" has pictures from the tour and rally, the sub-albums have some pictures from the trip out and back. I'll have more pictures later when I get the 35mm ones scanned in.'

Mike

Comment

Michael,

I read every post. What a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing.

Dog-gonit, I'm going to have to quit reading these stories. They're making me wish my bike was ready to ride.....and I don't want to settle for anything less than excellent.

Cragar 8)

Comment

Working...
        X