It's my bike's birthday !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's my bike's birthday !!

One year ago today, I bought my bike from a CL ad for $600, loaded it the back of my truck and pushed it into my garage. The poor thing had been stored in an old storage shed in the po's backyard in Elwood, IN. Here's how I first saw it.

It was in pretty good shape and tried to start when the po hit the button. It had a beat up 4-1 exhaust with an empty megaphone, one sidepanel, broken taillight, bald rear tire, no air filter box, a painted headlight ring and, of course, it wouldn't start, let alone run.

Of course, at this point, I was very uneducated in the ways of the GS. Thanks to this site and very helpful local members, I've learned a wealth information. It's been a great year of learning and making new friends.

So, after a year, alot of labor and money, it's running great, albeit with a couple small oil leaks that I've yet to fix. Happy Birthday to my bike !!!

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Happy BDay Larry's bike! You're looking good for your age. Why, you cant be a day over 27

Comment

It may be that old, but, it runs and rides like 1981. Probably a little better than 1981, with the progressive fork springs and rear shocks

I think I'll eat some cake and ice cream and order up a tach cable seal and oil filter studs for it's birthday to cure the leaks !!!
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I've found that GSes seem to age better than their owners.

Of course, many of us take better care of our bikes than we take care of ourselves!
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Happy B-day Larry's bike..
          I hope you and Larry have many more.
          sigpic

1979 GS1000E
          1982 GS1100GL
          2008 Bandit1250S

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/jsrose-gs/

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            I think I'll eat some cake and ice cream and order up a tach cable seal and oil filter studs for it's birthday to cure the leaks !!!
            Let me be the first to diagnose you as being mentally sick.

I have owned 5 GS bikes in the last 3 years, prowl CL for more lonely GS bikes, but never have given them a "birthday".

Only cure is "cold turkey", so please ship your bike to me and forget about all this nonsense!
            ...oh wait a minute, I don't do "L's", so just push it out to the curbside with a "Free for the taking" sign and forget about her (him?, it?)....just kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
              Let me be the first to diagnose you as being mentally sick.

I have owned 5 GS bikes in the last 3 years, prowl CL for more lonely GS bikes, but never have given them a "birthday".

Only cure is "cold turkey", so please ship your bike to me and forget about all this nonsense!
              ...oh wait a minute, I don't do "L's", so just push it out to the curbside with a "Free for the taking" sign and forget about her (him?, it?)....just kidding!
              Yeah, I know I am. I'm sure my wife would like if I had a GSectomy.

It's the first bike I've had in.....twenty...uhmm....a long time, so I'm a little excited about riding again !! As far as a him or a her, I think it's a him, although I haven't come up with a name yet. Maybe the "next one" will be a her and I'll probably have a birthday for her too !!
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Happy birfd'y bike.My old GIRL is 30 next month and her speedo will turn over 100,000 km at about the same time.She's going to put on some beers and vodka , but don't tell anyone because it's supposed to be a surprise.I'll put up some pics of the party when it comes around.I've already got tickets to the Moto GP as a bit of a surprise for her.Ssshhh , thats a secret too.A nice little 11,000 km trip is just what she needs.You've probably guessed that mine is a girl...or should I say...a lady.She likes a bit of attention , doesn't mind if I spend money on her , is in pretty good nick for her age , can be a bit titchy if she gets dirty and she wiggles around a bit if she gets ridden hard.How can she not be a woman ???? Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Tony.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                  X