Colorado or Bust - aka 2450 miles in 9 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado or Bust - aka 2450 miles in 9 days

The GS wasn't involved in this trip, but I thought I would share some of the highlights of the trip that I Carol and I took on the Voyager at the end of last month. Last year, we happened to learn about a group of 4 other couples from town that take a week long motorcycle trip each year. Last year, it happened that the group was going to Niagara Falls the same week that Carol and I had been planning to go. We joined up with the group, and had a great time. The way that this trip works is that each couple takes turns planning the destination, the route, and making the hotel arrangements.

This year, the destination was Colorado, and a 6th couple was added. Shortly after noon on the 25th of July, we set out from Decorah in the northeast corner of Iowa. The bikes involved were 2 Goldwings, 1 Goldwing trike, 1 Kawasaki Vulcan, a Harley trike, and Carol and I on the Voyager. While everyone else pulls a trailer, Carol and I manage to carry everything we need in the trunk or in the saddle bags.

On the trips, we usually try to avoid the Interstates, but since we weren't able to leave until after noon, we needed to make up time, so spent some time on I-35. We jumped off at Ankeny and drove across the dam at Saylorville reservoir and took a snack break. It's nice traveling with trailers - they also have coolers which means snacks available anytime - anywhere.

We followed Hwy 44 west, and had a pretty uneventful ride except for just west of Guthrie Center. As we passed through town, I noticed some activity at the fire station, so became extra vigilant watching my mirrors for emergency vehicles. After yielding for an ambulance, squad cars, and a fire truck, about 10 miles west of town we found their destination, a motorcycle in the ditch. I was rather busy paying attention to traffic, but Carol reports that the rider was sitting up in the back of the ambulance, so it didn't appear too serious. Temperatures for this day of riding were pleasant, we had some sunshine, and not too much wind.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2009, 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling error

Are you going to post some pictures of the trip?

Eric

Comment

Day 2 - In Search of a Church

One of the traditions of this group, since we are all from the same parish, is that we go to church together on Sunday morning. The couple in charge of planning also plans this into the route, but sometimes, the best laid plans don't work out so well. We got to the church in Missouri Valley for 8:30 Mass, only to discover that the Mass times had changed and they had not updated their website.

So, we headed west and hoped for the best. Eventually we learned that we could route through Cedar Bluffs, NE and would get there about the right time for Mass. As we entered Cedar Bluff, we encountered a church with people headed inside from the parking lot, so stopped for directions. We got a friendly invitation from the Presbyterian's to join them -- with the claim that they were more friendly. We graciously declined and they pointed us in the general direction of the Catholic Church.

I've never received as friendly a reception at a church as we got when we entered the small church at Cedar Bluffs. It was pretty obvious that the 12 of us were visitors. Before we had hardly entered the church, a lady in the back pew motioned at a sign reminding everyone that there would be coffee and rolls after Mass. As Mass was concluding, the priest made sure that it was clear that the parishoners and visitors were invited to coffee and rolls. After invitations like that, we pretty much felt obligated to have rolls and coffee after Mass. If you ever find yourself in the Cedar Bluff, NE area, and are looking for a friendly church -- check out St. Mary's.

Comment

Day 2 - It's getting hot

While we really enjoyed our stop in Cedar Bluffs, when we started back on the road, it was getting warm, and we had a lot of miles to cover. Our plan was to follow US 30 across Nebraska. One of the planned stops was the Golden Spike Visitor's Center at North Platte, and time was working against us, so we eventually dropped down to the Interstate again to try to make up time.

We arrived at the visitor's center about 10 minutes before closing, but figured that after riding through 98+ degree temps, 10 minutes in air conditioning would feel great.

The visitor's center provides a great view of the Union Pacific rail yard, and there was a retired conductor on the observation level that was able to tell us everything that was going on in the yard. It's good to travel in a group, since there were 12 of us, they kept the center open an extra half hour for us.

Comment

Day 2 - Eating with Wildlife

As we left the rail yard, we were looking forward to food in Paxton, NE where we ate at Ole's Big Game Steakhouse.

The food and the company were both good and then we finished the ride to Ogallala in the dark.

Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2009, 12:43 AM. Reason: Missing image

Comment

Day 3 - A taste of things to come

The ride on the third day of the trip was planned in 2 segments. Segment 1, from Ogallala to Fort Collins where we would check into the hotel and drop off the trailers; and segment 2, an afternoon ride to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park and back.

So far, in this trip, we had not encountered any rain. That was about to change. We rode west from Ogallala on a two lane road that runs somewhat parallel to I-76. We made a brief stop in Iliff, CO were I found it interesting that they still have a hand water pump in the middle of the intersection by the post office.

We then continued to Sterling, CO, and so far had only ridden through a brief rainshower that didn't warrant rain gear. However, we were now watching a lot of dark clouds near our path ahead. We headed west, with the hope that we would avoid the storm ahead. As we got to the edge of town, it became apparent that we were going to get wet, so we pulled off for rain gear. Now, fully prepared for wet weather, we set out again. First it was light rain, with some lightning in the distance, then the lightning became not so far away, and we decided riding in the open plains was not the place to be. We turned back toward Sterling to find some shelter.

Fortunately, our leader had spotted a likely shelter.

We pulled into the REC parking lot west of Sterling, and very quickly got permission to take shelter in their warehouse.

Did I mention that all the trailers have coolers -- that can only mean one thing -- snack time.

After about a 25 minute break, we continued on to Fort Collins without encountering any more significant rain.

We were grateful to the electric coop for sharing their building with us!

Comment

Working...
            X