Fun weekend to go boom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun weekend to go boom!

I can never do anything the easy way or spread out over time. This weekend sums things up pretty well.

Friday night there's a meet in Mason City Iowa for the PGI(Pyrotechnics Guild International). For the uninitiated, it's the group responsible kinda sorta for your fireworks displays and getting folks licensed and safe.NotEvil has a campsite reserved in Clear Lake the next town over. Now all we have to do is get there from my work in Dubuque Iowa bye 8:00pm, and the time on the clock is reading an alarming 3:45pm, it's time to go.

Jump on 20 and head west, get to 218 and head north. Get off 218 looking for a gas station for 3 miles.

Give up and get back on 218. Follow the route gas up a few times and get to the campsite about 30 minutes before we're supposed to be there.

The fireworks were awesome. They started with special one of a kind setups. Vintage 1915 and 1920 fireworks being set off. Stuff that's simply too big or too complex to set off in a regular display. They moved on to the "all-stars" display. About 20 minutes long and the requirement was for the team to have the display built and set up in a week, and have it done using the "old Italian canister shot method". The end of the day were the "Grand Public Displays". Two professional crews set up to show off their talents. The shots are set to music and a computer rig/software controls the firing timing and order. There were 109 modules with 32 fireworks per module. It was simply amazing. A full on 40 minutes of sky lighting fun.

When it was all over we made our way through traffic and hit the local Buffalo Wild Wings (the local places were all closed). Halfway through our meal the power went out. I was hoping it wasn't indicative of things to come. We finish eating in the mood lighting of emergency exit signs and head out. It's pretty funny to see exactly half a small town in the dark out in the middle of no where. Back to the tents for some shut eye.

7am Saturday we get up and break down camp. Gas up and get some breakfast. We can either take the route we took to get up there on the way back or take the longer route but slightly shorter time and stick to the super slab. Normally we would have taken the local highways but we were under a time crunch. By 4:30pm we needed to be in Plainfield Illinois for a party. We pick the straightest/fastest route and get up on it.

At our gas stop outside of Des Moines we were asked if we had gotten rained on. NotEvil and I looked at each other and shrugged. It had been nice and dry. At that point we were told we happened to be just ahead of a front moving in that seemed to be following I-80 right to Illinois. Oh great that's our route. Back up on the bikes and burn on out of there. I crack the throttle a bit and pick up from cruising at 75mph to 80mph (speed limit in most of Iowa away from the cities is 70). I'm averaging a little over 41MPG on the big B1250 and NotEvil's SV650 is hanging right in there, but he has a smaller tank by almost a gallon. We have to stop every 120 - 140 miles to make sure he doesn't run out. Out in front of the weather front (yes bad pun) I stretch us a bit and get to Iowa City. I badly needed food and figured that as it was getting near school time again there'd be some college women hanging about. I wasn't disappointed. Gas tanks and stomachs full we get back on the highway and I pray that the bridge over the Mississippi from I-80 to I-88 is open again as otherwise it'll add some time and difficulties with gas.

For those of you that don't know the pleasure of going from Iowa into Illinois on either I-80 or I-88 let me warn you now. There's no gas, none, for something like 30 to 40 miles on the Illinois side. If you're anywhere near getting close, pull into Bettendorf or Davenport and get go juice before crossing over.

We're going along and miraculously I-80 is open over the great river and we pick up I-88 an start that last leg to getting to his home and my folks place (which happen to be in the same city). I look down at my gauge and odometer and notice I'm at 120 miles. I know out there gas stops are few and far between so I motion at the next gas stop sign and pull off the highway. At the end of the exit the sign says "Gas 15 miles east", there's no freaking way I'm going to get off the highway and go for 15 miles to get gas, just to have to come back. I look over at NotEvil and ask if he has enough to go another 40 miles as I secret pray there's another gas station closer to the highway within his range. He says "No Problem" and we just cut across the road right back onto the highway. Another 20 miles up the road we reach I think Rock Falls and fill up. Start calling folks, "we're close we'll get there a bit late but not too bad."

Head out of there and blast up I-88 at a slightly more sedate 70mph, the speed limit is 65 out there and I don't want to antagonize the local constabulary. The rest of the trip out ended up being pretty uneventful. Zipped into Naperville, seperated, and met back up at the party a few hours later (an hour late). Had some fun, caught up on old times and ate our fill till it was time to go.

Well NotEvil was home so he didn't need to go anywhere. I on the other hand on Sunday needed to get back to Dubuque. Up at 9am. Spend time with the family, get some breakfast and hydrate myself. At noon I went over to another friend's place (RabidWolf) and picked up from him a bracket for the rear signal lights on the bandit that moves them back out of the way for the luggage assemblies. A nice bit of kit and should move the signals out of the way of my soft bags and give me flexibility if I want to go hard bags later. On the plus side it also gives me two extra signal lights.

At RabidWolf's place it rained a bit and then let up. I donned my rain gear and headed out. On the way to the gas station I got rained on a bit but a light sprinkling. Gas up and get on I-88 and just past Orchard road it looked like the doom and gloom in the sky touched the road. Suddenly I was in the rain, hard driving rain. There were cars parked on the sides of the highway waiting it out. I could still see and the bike felt stable under me so I kept right on going. Cats and dogs from the sky, cops and cars all over the place I plodded on at a stately 60MPH. About 3 miles from I-39 the rain gave way to gray/white high overcast, and humidity. The rain gear was now my mobile sauna suit. I was sweating but not drenched, and the skies up ahead along with the mornings weather forecast promised me rain all the way along US20 into Dubuque. Luckily it never materialized and the rest of the trip was about as mundane and normal as could be.

Dang good weekend, almost if not slightly over a combined 780miles in the three days with 430 of those coming on Saturday in the mad scramble from Mason City to Naperville. I did learn some things though.

#1. Riding great distances is more fun when you have company.
    #2. Buy new MSR bottles with some extra fuel just in case.
    #3. Get there earlier next year so we can get some firewood.
    #4. My tent sucks bigtime, it's too short, and doesn't have near enough ventilation.(in the humidity of the weekend during the middle of the night even with the "door" open it rained condensation inside my tent)
    #5. Schedule things better if I can.
    #6. In the stock B1250 saddle about 500 miles in one day is about the best I can do.
    #7. I wore running shorts instead of underoos on the bike and it was a godsend. Switch to biking shorts.

Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2009, 09:48 PM.

thanks for sharing! living and learning is the name of the game, guess you need a solar or dc powered fan to hang in your tent

Comment

Hey Steve, sounds like you and Pyro had a great time. Too bad I won't be able to ride with you guys at Fennimore this fall, I had a scheduling conflict for that Saturday. My bike is waiting on the new rear shocks, finishing the trunk (with lights) and getting all the lights to work right again before I can ride. Target date now is Sept. 1st. Don't let Pyro get too carried away at Fennimore......

Comment

Originally posted by skreemer View Post
        The fireworks were awesome.
        I saw a PGI display in St Louis. They did it in Busch stadium and I couldnt believe the concussions didnt blow out the windows in the buildings down town. Pretty cool.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by skreemer View Post

Ouch, looks like a miserable route of all slab...

As far as a tent, I highly suggest a lightweight dome tent. Domes are the most efficient shape for shedding weather of all types, that's why all the hardcore 4 season mountain tents are built that way. And it's worth it to actually spend a bit of money on one. I used an REI Traildome for the last 18 years of my life and I think I finally am ready for a new one. This is probably the closest thing to my tent they have now: http://www.rei.com/product/731433
          At $250 it isn't exactly a bargain tent, but the difference in materials and construction between this and a $99 Coleman or Kelty is huge, especially when the weather rolls in. And I could still use my 18 year old tent, but it has seen heavy use. I wouldn't doubt if I have spent 200 nights out in the thing.

I could never do a long day without padded bike shorts. This is another place I don't skimp on, I always get the real chamois pads, not a synthetic one. They last much longer and make a difference in comfort.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
            Ouch, looks like a miserable route of all slab...

As far as a tent, I highly suggest a lightweight dome tent. Domes are the most efficient shape for shedding weather of all types, that's why all the hardcore 4 season mountain tents are built that way. And it's worth it to actually spend a bit of money on one. I used an REI Traildome for the last 18 years of my life and I think I finally am ready for a new one. This is probably the closest thing to my tent they have now: http://www.rei.com/product/731433
            At $250 it isn't exactly a bargain tent, but the difference in materials and construction between this and a $99 Coleman or Kelty is huge, especially when the weather rolls in. And I could still use my 18 year old tent, but it has seen heavy use. I wouldn't doubt if I have spent 200 nights out in the thing.

I could never do a long day without padded bike shorts. This is another place I don't skimp on, I always get the real chamois pads, not a synthetic one. They last much longer and make a difference in comfort.
            I've found a tent I think will work through Cabela's. Their XPG ultralight 3 person tent is a dome and only 170$.

My main thing about this tent is not only weight (under six pounds) but also it's pack size. Most the tents, even the small ones, pack size is usually over 18 inches long. Inside my tail bag I only have 17 and a half inches side to side. The Cabela's tent even though it's a 3 person supposedly packs into a 6x16.5 space. That's about perfect. I'm going to see if I can get it sometime this week.

I'll take to heart the chamois pads.

Comment

That tent looks very nice! I hear ya about the pack size, which is dictated by the pole length. I always pack my tent in a compression sack, and the poles get packed separately. I never use the stuff sack it comes in, a compression sack get's it so much smaller. But still, if the poles are too long, you are out of luck.

I'm gonna look at that tent the next time I am at Cabelas. Looks awesome.
              Currently bikeless
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Oooooh, and it comes with a compression sack as well. Nice touch.
                Currently bikeless

Comment

I bought the tent and it does fit (barely) in the cortech sport bag tail bag... I'm sure if I rolled it a bit tighter there'd be more room to spare.

Comment

Working...
                  X