Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if he shipped to south africa, I'm pretty sure there is members there who are mechanically inclined.

Comment

The weight is too much for regular UPS shipments - their upper limit is 150lb.

The engine will need to be drained of oil before shipment.

It's been years since I've shipped an engine - the last time I fabricated a support cradle on a pallet and strapped the engine to the pallet. Then covered with heavy-duty plastic and a double skinned cardboard box stapled to the pallet.

Shipping regulations have tightened up considerably since I last shipped an engine internationally, so I'm not sure of the restrictions. I've contacted our freightquote account manager to see if they can help.

Comment

Great to see you post here, was hoping Chris might have had luck getting in contact with you.

best I could find was UPS international air freight, but didnt give much information on the regulations and such, other than a ballpark of $500 and 10 days or so to ship.

Comment

Here's a thought on the dilemma, since Chris has the help, gaskets and so on to do the job on hand(so I understand, I haven't read all of it since the engine expired). Send the the jugs and pistons (with rings) only. Pistons clearly marked for their cylinders, and any other small parts needed, send a couple of packages UPS that way. Then there's less cost, and he'll have what he needs, albeit, not a drop in, fire it up and run solution, but it's more doable and less expensive.

Comment

Dan,

The bottom end was torched by the debris.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I supposed we could disassemble and pack and ship it in 2 boxes each under the 150 max... maybe keep the bottom end together and just need the base, head, and valve cover gaskets.

Im game for helping however I can as are many, just waiting to get a call from Chris to see what path he wants to pursue.

Comment

If Chris's next stop is in Africa, I don't know if he is going north to south or south to north, but I am near Cape Town in South Africa and will be able to lend a hand.
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

And I am in Johannesburg, more than willing to give him a bed to crash on for a few days and a garage to wrench in , I will be more than happy to swing spanners with him to get him up and mobile.
                  Sorry, can't offer much in the way of spares :-(

Comment

From Chris

Jared-I just talked to Chris-he doesn't have access to internet for a few days---he has an Argentine cell but can't call out---it's possible he can't receive out of country calls but you try this number via Skype with Skype credit or a phone card: 5492966382230. Chris wants some work to be done to the engine Stateside before its sent out. He wants someone to call him to go over anything.

Comment

I will try to ring him tomorrow then, as long as we know that the route he wants to go I can get going on piecing things together here. I can do moderate engine work and will do what I can to help. I hope Jeff gets some good leads on shipping or I might need to consider the ship it in two boxes route.

Comment

I didn't realize the bottom end was toasted as well, but the two box method might still be best.

Comment

I think he was more interested in changing bottom end to because of limited cleaning facilities to wash all the broken pieces out..

Comment

I wish I could help. I feel so useless.

I guess I'll just fall in with the other cheerleaders and well wishers.

You guys have my prayers and support.
                            Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
                            1979 GS850GN
                            sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
                            1975-2008

Comment

Sounds like moving forward with this, I talked to Matt and will be taking the cage tomorrow to get the motor down here. I will still try to get a hold of Chris but might not be till after I got the motor.

Unless I get some good info / deal I might be breaking it down for a top end rebuild and cleaning it all up but shipping the bottom and top separate for Chris to reinstall with new gaskets down there.

Off to bed, road trip in am.

I really need a camera to blog some of this lol

edit, oh and for the shipping I will be getting it to him so you can send donations to my paypal for this side project, skateguy50@hotmail.com anything left after all this will go to the general non profit fund.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2010, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Please remember to send OEM gaskets, especially for the base gasket and o-rings. Probably a good idea for the head as well. Not everyone has read about the troubles with non-OEM gaskets failing in only a few hundred miles, so I just wanted to be sure.
                                Dogma
                                --
                                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                                '80 GS850 GLT
                                '80 GS1000 GT
                                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                                X