Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow the journey: six continents, two-hundred countries and twenty-four time zones, as I ride my motorcycle around the globe to raise funds and awareness for the number one cause of death in the world: Hunger. -O. Christopher Sorbi

From his website. I'm sure there will be some shipping long the way.

Chris, donation will be forthcoming, as I'm sure more will follow. What I can, when I can.

Brad bk

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
      I'm just wondering how he plans on riding to different continents... I have seen guys go across ponds on dirt bikes but come on.. The Oceans seem a little too big for that. Especially with a heavy old girl like that he's riding.
      Well the plan is to sail the old gal across the ocean. working my way, peeling potato or doing whatever.

The trips is around the world, every country.

Brad, Thank you for your donation, it's much appreciated. I haven't had a free time to send a thank you note yet but on the way.

I'm still in LA, working on some nasty legal and tax stuff. I have some exciting news which will post tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks Chris! It's the least I can do, and as stated, I'll definitely try to contribute more. I actually got called directly from Paypal last night because I skipped logging in. They just wanted to verify that I was the person making the payment.

I hadn't realized just how long your adventure/tour was going to take. Hope you've got plenty of memory available for all the wonderful photos you will be able to take. And I'm curious, what is your route when you get back stateside? I may not have much room to offer, but would definitely open my door to you!

Brad bk

Comment

Keep documenting and taking pictures and video if you can, when you are done maybe get someone to edit it all into a documentary or something.

Comment

I have some bad news guys, read on:

Have you ever wanted to castrate a man with a dull spread knife?
            My bike was parked on a street under a sign that read “tow-away zone from 4-7”. I was thinking of moving it the whole time but one thing led to another and by the time I got to it, it was 4:30 and the bike was gone.
            I called the city and they said that bike was impounded and gave the towing companies address to go and get it. Now, for those of you who don’t know my story, I’m traveling on my GS850 around the world (www.motorcyclememoir.com) and I was in Los Angeles, CA when this happened this evening.
            Since this bike is my only ride, I called a cab and got there 45 minutes later in the rush-hour traffic of L.A. The trucking company is called Keystone Towing and the building is as big as a good size mall.
            I’m already ****ed and blaming myself for the stupid parking zone but that’s just one side of the story. They tell me that the towing fee is $217 plus $80 citation to Los Angeles police department.
            I asked the man to show me the bike so I can inspect and see that everything is ok then I’ll pay the charges. He walked me through the lot and when I got to the bike, I couldn’t believe what I saw.
            The tank was ripped off the frame and hanging from the two bolts under the seat. The seat was bent back with the tank and the tank rubber bushing and a 10mm bolt was sitting under the bike.
            As calm as I could be (which is not what you imagine the word calm would mean) I asked for the manger to come over. The big man walked out and I told him I don’t care how it happened, just tell me loud and clear what you are going to do about it and tell me now.
            He said oh, how do we know it wasn’t like this when it got here? At this point I wanted to strangle the mothe**ucker right then and there but I stepped away and called 911 to send an officer before I kill the duechbag.
            While I’m waiting, he goes on with taking pictures and telling me that I have two options. A) To pay for the bike and get it out there or B) they would charge $45 every day that it sits there. And he has to interview his driver on Monday morning to find out what’s going on.
            The cops get there and they refused to make a damage report on a ground that this is a civil dispute and if I have a problem with it, I can go to court and request a hearing.
            Now I’m traveling and have nowhere to stay in the city, nor I have the time or patience to peruse a law suit against a city contracted towing company.
            I told they guy you know what; just give me something, drop the towing fees and I’ll be on my way. after a long conversation he said that $100 of the towing fee goes to the L.A county and they can’t wave that and all he can do is to give me a discount and for that, I had to sign a waiver that I’m ok with everything and will not sue the company.
            I’m assessed my options to cut down on the damage given my travel situation, I told him that let me try to turn the bike on so I can see if it even moves, there might be other damages that I can’t see in the dark warehouse with flash light. If it moves, I make my decision then.
            This prick was rude and arrogant from the start and this time he says: take it or leave it. I won’t let you see the bike until you pay for it or get out because we are closing right now.
            At this point I told him to go **** himself and I paid the full amount so I can sue them when I get out. They ran my card and then, they wanted me to sign a paper saying that the “I have received the above vehicle in satisfactory condition”. I told them Hell no, I’m not signing that. I already paid for the “service” and I want my bike NOW. They said if you don’t sign it, you’ll not get your bike.
            So I called 911 again and asked for the cops to come back which took them 45 minutes. With their intervention, they added a segment to the paper, that the bike is in a damaged state and I listed all the damages, making two copies and finally got the bike out of there.
            I bent the tank back down but it’s holding on with the back bolts only, the paint is chipped and cracked on the tank(this tank was in immaculate shape, see the pictures on my website) and the seat is bent and ripped and it won’t stay on without moving to left and right.
            I am suing this company. Maybe the tank is not worth the trouble but it’s a matter of principle. Paying traffic fine is one thing which I don’t have a problem with, but getting f**ked in the ass by the city and their contracted company is something else.
            If you have any legal advice or you have ever been in a citation like this, please make a comment and help me out here. If any of you guys are in Los Angeles or in the immediate area with a garage, I would truly appreciate a help with getting the bike back together so I can hit the road and get out of this godforsaken place.

Comment

Aw crap. It sounds like the retards tried to lift it by the tank and seat.

I can't offer any advice, but I hope you can find a lawyer that can tear them a new one. Not just for damage to the bike, but for the time lost.

Before that, I hope someone out there can help you out with just getting things done.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

As hard as it might be I would say this is just a lesson in humanity and do what you need to get back on the road, this guy / company have made a decision to do this type of thing to people day in and day out. My uncle owns an autobody shop and does towing and refuses to do city tows because he does not want to be part of any of that.

You did what you could, document what you need to and if you want to pursue further leave it with someone else to pursue for you. I would not let that setback keep you from doing something so much more important. Also put it in perspective... this is stil in USA wait till you cross into other countries, if the local police cause you problems and takes money out of your pocket and in turn takes food away from the hungry that will be judged, but not by us so let it go and do what you can.

As far as the real problem at hand... I dont know anyone in that area so can't help. Hopefully some on the forum can point you in a direction.

Comment

Contact local news agencys. T.V. exposure will get you double duty; raise awareness for what you're doing, and have the towing company involved wiping egg off their face. I'd definately sue the b@stards.
                  Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
                  1979 GS850GN
                  sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
                  1975-2008

Comment

I went ahead and put out thread on the Motorcycle Discussion forum to see if anyone can help you out.

Hope all is well otherwise!

Brad bk

Comment

Brad, Thank a lot buddy. There's a really long thread on the technical part. i'm the same way, i don't see the posts if i get away for a day or two then i have to catch up. Thing are getting better though.

Working on the media coverage now...

Comment

Originally posted by shirazdrum View Post
                        Brad, Thank a lot buddy. There's a really long thread on the technical part. i'm the same way, i don't see the posts if i get away for a day or two then i have to catch up. Thing are getting better though.

Working on the media coverage now...

This can't go well for them. I mean, you're riding around the world for a cause. Just make sure you have the cash in hand prior to making any news coverage.

Comment

I need to find a Bank of America quick. i won't say a word unless i cash the check first

Comment

Originally posted by shirazdrum View Post
                            I need to find a Bank of America quick. i won't say a word unless i cash the check first

Not to hijack, but I just got a Bank of America account with a NFL team on the debit card and after 90 days they are giving me $100. All I had to do was sign up last month (didn't find out about the promo until the 29th or else I would have said something on here) deposit $250 and use my debit card at least once within the first 30 days. Can't complain!

I'd offer my tank but it looks like crap-o-la and needs to be repainted since my gas leak ruined my freshly painted tank last spring.

Comment

I might know a way to get a new tank, it involves L.A and the Keystone towing company.

Comment

I hope things are going better and you can get back on the road soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X