other people's children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

other people's children

To open this isn't about a GS or even a Suzuki I think.
    Last night while working at my other job, (security at the hospital) the Pa. State Police had a high speed pursuit with a young person on a sport bike. The biker met the cop on a two lane county road at a high rate of speed. The Trooper spun his cruiser and as Sherlock would say "the game was afoot."
    The Trooper followed and attemped to close on the young rocketeer but wasn't getting too close. Then our pilot in training turned off his lights and made a quick 90 degree onto yet another county road.
    The Trooper said he was a good rider and he broke pursuit when he had trouble in the cruiser making the turn the biker had just flown through.
    The Trooper decided that continuing the case could cause the kid to get killed. I'm happy to see safety at the top of list with members of our law enforcement group. Of course The Trooper is peeved to have lost this one, but knowing the way this kid rides, he'll have another chance to give pursuit.
    While I do not feel speeding is good thing, lord knows I go too fast too often. But, running from the law is never a good idea. At least this time the cop didn't follow him until an ambulance was needed.
    bill
    Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2009, 09:53 PM.

Good on the Cop for using some all too uncommon common sense.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Personally I think every pursuit should end as soon as the cop has the license plate number. Unless they are positive the car they are chasing was just involved in a major crime. To many times chases just end up causing more harm than good.

Comment

The probem with this is the kid will continue to do the same thing, endangering others while he does it. Eventually, someone will have to stop him, one way or the other.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          The probem with this is the kid will continue to do the same thing, endangering others while he does it. Eventually, someone will have to stop him, one way or the other.

Earl
          Maybe, maybe not. He may have scared himself badly enough not to go again.
          Or maybe he thought it was a hoot. Some guys enjoy the thrill of it. Either way the cop's decision to let him go will not effect his choice to repeat.
          Either way the cops shouldn't try to kill the kid unless it was a bank robbery or something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Since this was a speed only problem and it was unknown if other events had occered, the Trooper discontinued when he realized someone was going to get hurt. Even if the plate number was obtained, there was no clear and present danger requiring the Trooper catch the rocketeer.
            bill

Comment

But it isn't JUST speeding now! It is now FELONY evasion! And it carries a VERY stiff penalty! Ray.

Comment

Unfortunatlly the kid will do it again. I say that because he had a switch to turn the lights off indicating his intent to run

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                  Unfortunatlly the kid will do it again. I say that because he had a switch to turn the lights off indicating his intent to run
                  My bikes have that switch, does that mean I will too?
                  Maybe I should just turn myself in already.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    My bikes have that switch, does that mean I will too?
                    Maybe I should just turn myself in already.

Yeah, just go turn yourself in and say that you were going to do it eventually so you're just turning yourself in now to make it easier on everyone!

Every department in Maine has to have a chase policy that includes motorcycles for chase/no chase. The ones that are large enough to have a supervisor usually have to have the supervisor give the ok for it to happen, but mostly with motorcycles, it's not worth it. Most don't chase motorcycles. It's just too hard to keep up most of the time, and then the chase usually ends with the motorcycle driver crashing and being injured.

I would say it was a good call on calling off the chase. It was just for a simple speeding ticket to begin with. It's not worth the rider's life, even if it was the rider's choice to take off instead of stopping.

Comment

Instead of chasing bikes or even cars, get a high def digital camera, get close enough to snap pic of license plate and then wait for the opportunity to arrest the owner of the vehicle at home. Owner proves vehicle was stolen he stays outta jail,otherwise he goes to jail for fleeing and eluding, speeding and whatever else the cop can prove.

Comment

Being a cop I know we'll never get close enough after a turn around to get the plate, it was a good thing he stopped and took the hit to his own ego.
                        Think about this, if it's a new bike how did the kid switch off the lights, this kid planned on this and is prolly doing it on a regular basis. So'k though stupid is as stupid does, he'll probably be a stain on the ground somewhere soon and I hope his mother and or father don't regret bying him a crotch rocket.
                        My son said he would like to have a motorcycle, with a smile I said cool, an older GS 500 is a good place to start.
                        Hope the kid gets caught and learns a lesson before he loses the race...

Comment

Working...
                        X