When routine maintainence goes wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When routine maintainence goes wrong

So the old '80 GS1100 was running fine but it had been a while since her last oil change. So I proceed to drain the oil and change the filter. I had a complete brain fart and forgot about the O ring for the oil filter cover and hadn't gotten a new one. I thought to myself, "self, I know I've reused them before, it'll work".

Went to tighten up the oil filter cover and could feel the studs start to strip so I didn't crank them super tight. Filled it up with oil and started her up. No leaks. Took her out for a test run, and you guessed it, started leaking oil onto the exhaust. Nothing like being stuck in traffic smelling burning oil.

Got home and tried to tighten up the acorn nuts for the oil filter cover, and of course two of them stripped out. Ordered new studs and nuts, two O rings and some new mirrors while I was at it.

Got the parts and installed them, and took the old girl out for a ride. No leaks, but the stupid idiot light for the battery started comming on and off. Got home and proceeded to see what voltage I was getting at idle and about 5K. 12.3 volts no matter what. "Hmmm, self, that's a little low".

So I figure I would clean up the connections for the battery and the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid was pretty rusty so I figured I would start the clean up there. Snap went the stud. Well crap, it's gotta come off to replace it. The two screws won't budge and one for the rectifier won't budge either. So I start to pull of the panel and look at the back of the panel. the screws and the panel have become one. Time to either drill them out or find another panel. "Self, for the hell of it see what a new one costs you have to order parts anyway". About $12, oh by the way, it's discontinued.

See, this is why you don't do routine maintainence.

So I get to order more parts only to determine what my charging issue is. I think I will get a new set of handlebars while I'm at it.

Originally posted by Kaiser Sosei View Post
    stupid idiot light for the battery started comming on and off.
    That light tells you only that one cell of the battery is low on water. Id check the battery water level first. But dont stop there. All the other things you mentioned should be addressed as well. And then some ...............
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I know that's how the sensor is supposed to work but when I pulled out the sensor it was dripping. Oh well, I might have a bad sensor, although it's only a couple of years old.

I suppose I can be fourtunate that it led me to investigating the charging system while I was at home and not 50 miles from home. . I suspect I am due for a new stator and rectifier, I am pretty sure they are original. Who know's how long it's been at this state, I haven't been having any charging issues.

Just wanted to vent a little and share. thought it might inspire someone else to give their story of when things go wrong.

Comment

let your panel hang down, warm up the back side of all the bolts and then put some pentrating oil on the bolts. Keep applying oil daily to both sides of bolts, then put the panel back on and wack those bolts with an impact driver

They should come right out and save you some trouble.

You may just need a ground from the r/r to the negative terminal of the battery. Try that first and see what your voltage is
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I've been doing the soaking part, but I'm going to need to figure out a plan for using an impact driver. I already tried that, but the panel is only held in by two bolts on the top corners of the panel and the bottom just sits on the battery tray. I gave it a couple of whacks but all it was doing was bending the panel. To get the panel out would require cutting wires as the screws that are stuck have the gournd wires attached.

I'll get it, but from the looks of it, it will probably require drilling them out.

Comment

Just an update for those who are curious:

Soaked the screws with PB for the last couple of days. Layed a 2X4 on my knees for a "table" and whacked the screws with the impact hammer. They fought me, but I got them out. I thought or sure they would snap. I'll be going down to the hardware store and replacing them with allen head socket screws. I figure I have some time before my parts arrive, and then I get to tackle the charging system.

Comment

this is me. i try, but the behinder i get. good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X