One heck of a night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One heck of a night!

Well last night I decided to take a small ride before bed. Nothing unusual. I put on my gear, warmed up the bike, and set out.

I was riding along nicely when all of a sudden the bike sputters out and dies.

Turned out to be no big problem, just the gas line has pinched. So I got the bowls all primed up and proceeded to nurse the bike home so that I could fix the gas line.

I got about 5 blocks before it sputtered out again. This time she wouldn't restart because by this time I was wearing the battery down.

So I decided to call my wife, and she unhappily came to pick me up. I put the battery on charge for a couple hours while she went to bed. Then I loaded it into my back pack and went on the 30 minute walk back to the bike.

I installed the battery, got her started, and nursed her back home. Once there, I put a new gas line in, and made sure there was no way for it to pinch on me.

Satisfied that I had her all fixed up, I went for a little ride. Then I ran out out of gas. My fault completely.

By this time I was getting pretty frustrated, and these long walks home were getting old.

I got the bike gased up, took the car home, and then walked back to the bike and drove her home.

Morning comes and it is time to go to work. The ride is great and everything is going well, then the battery dies 2 blocks from work. This time the battery is gone for good.

I called around and finally decided on a battery from O'Reilly Auto Parts. They were nice enough to fill and charge it for me while I was at work.

Once I reinstalled the battery, I safely made it home. What a day!

Getting stranded on a bike or car sucks! Happened to me last week.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

I got stuck one time in the car on a busy thrufare stuck in the middle of the road in the left turn lane. All during the noon rush hour, completely dead -no flashers. Sitting there with the hood open, you would be suprised how many people pulled up behind me and waited/ and waited.- well maybe not.

Comment

Well at least ya got it home..

My little Yamaha XS-400 has been giving me fits..

last month It refused to start when I was out to lunch.. then the starter died.. I had to have a friend come out and trailer it home for me.

After ignoring it for 3 weeks I finally broke down and cleaned the carbs, fixed the thumb switch (burned it out cranking on the bike) and gave it a good tune up..

First ride back to work on it was running great.. till the rear tire went flat.. On the highway.. in the middle of a 3 mile long land bridge.
        I ended up pushing it 2 miles to a grocery store.
        I'd made it a grand total of 4 miles before I had to tow it home again.

I bought a trailer that day to tow it home on..
        2 days later I found my GS1000 for $100.. That new bike trailer sure came in handy..

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
          Well at least ya got it home..

My little Yamaha XS-400 has been giving me fits..

last month It refused to start when I was out to lunch.. then the starter died.. I had to have a friend come out and trailer it home for me.

After ignoring it for 3 weeks I finally broke down and cleaned the carbs, fixed the thumb switch (burned it out cranking on the bike) and gave it a good tune up..

First ride back to work on it was running great.. till the rear tire went flat.. On the highway.. in the middle of a 3 mile long land bridge.
          I ended up pushing it 2 miles to a grocery store.
          I'd made it a grand total of 4 miles before I had to tow it home again.

I bought a trailer that day to tow it home on..
          2 days later I found my GS1000 for $100.. That new bike trailer sure came in handy..
          Lol, this is the story of my motorcycle life. I am too cheap to buy a new bike, so I feel sometimes like I push the bike more than I ride it.

Comment

i can't count how many times i've had to push my bike up my driveway because it wouldn't start. it is an incline, and for some reason my dog thinks i'm playing with her while i'm pushing a 500lb bike uphill. the dang dog launches at my knees.

thank god the forum helped me work thru my charging issues.

once on the grand central parkway in nyc, i broke down while racing to st.john's university for a final exam. there i am sitting, and i saw 5 of my classmates drive right by on the way to the same exam. left me sitting there. talk about cutthroat, the bastards.

Comment

I think I would change my test ride route to just around the block.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
              X