A small jaunt in CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A small jaunt in CA

Jim (Posplayr) and I went short ride around central and southern CA. I cruised to Santa Barbara and spent the night so we could get an early start.
    Went south on the 101 to Ventura and got on the 33. Took 33 to the 166. This is a nice road with sweeping surves. Not crazy but enjoyable. Took the 166 to Guadalupe to go to a world famous restaurant that was closed.
    Took a back way to Lompoc where Jim's mother lives. Stayed the night there and spent the next morning spreading mulch and pulling on stumps.
    On the way back to Santa Barbara we stopped at a local hangout for Kiters and surfers. Can't remember the name and I do believe it's secret because of the road in.
    He had another spot where I took some pics of people kiting and setting up their kites. Everyone seemed to know Jim everywhere we went.

Last edited by chef1366; 11-10-2009, 01:42 AM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Comment

Damn. Once I get this motorbike completely sorted, I'm going to have to take some vacation time. You guys aren't too far away.

Comment

Nice Pics Bill; wish I could have gone out but not sure the knee would hold out.

I'm going to have to stick to the fog wind

Comment

Darn it, I wish I lived closer. Looks like you guys had a good time.

Comment

If you guys every make it to the Central Valley, I know of some terrific roads that will take us to Yosemite and along the Sierra foothills.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                If you guys every make it to the Central Valley, I know of some terrific roads that will take us to Yosemite and along the Sierra foothills.
                Wow, that sounds great. I have been through there on both of the last two trips. Bill and I rode from Baco, to Fresno then up to Yosemite to pop out at Leevining (395 on the way to Reno).

Tom MLC also took us back over from east to West which was a great ride. I think it is late in the season for Yosemite now. Bruce is planning a trip next year in Reno that watch out for that.

Jim

Comment

Did a bunch of surf trips to Jalama when I was a kid, back in the mid to late 70's. My buddy rolled his girl friend's car in a cattle guard on the way in there once.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Im telling you boys you need to come out to Kentucky this summer! Between the GSR members here, we gots bikeses for yuns ta ride ahn.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      Did a bunch of surf trips to Jalama when I was a kid, back in the mid to late 70's. My buddy rolled his girl friend's car in a cattle guard on the way in there once.
                      It really is a rugged gem. I grew up in Lompoc; the people that lived across the street from us bought the Jalama Store and my buddy Steve now runs it.

I remember ditching class with a group of guy my senior year (75) getting a gallon bottle of wine to go body surfing down at Tranchalas. I ran (got run off) my 65 Impala SS off the road that day .

We left SB for about 10 years, but since about 1997 I has been windurfing there as a regular basis.

Masterbeerbuzz is the daily local though and has a great camera. He maintains this site

A few pics of me:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Im telling you boys you need to come out to Kentucky this summer! Between the GSR members here, we gots bikeses for yuns ta ride ahn.
                        Josh,
                        I rode my GS750 today for the first time in a while. I commute about 1 mile. It was rally scary. I was approaching a stop sign going about 20 mph. I put on the brakes and the bike just keeps rolling. I squeeze harder and I slow a little but now I wrap my whole grip on the brake handle and I'm able to puller down.

Forturnately I had allowed about 200 ft and I was able to stop.

I better get the gixxer going and sell the 750. Brakes are nite and day.
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          I grew up in Lompoc...

Hey, I know where that is! I spent a month working at Vandenberg AFB in the mid-80's after the Shuttle blew up...

Being from the East Coast, I liked the laid back feel of that place - very pretty as well, with the mountains & ocean. Then I started spending more & more time working in LA and although you can't beat the weather, I don't care much for the "population density."

Mike
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                          X