My '82 GS550MZ Refit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

almost to baseline...

Yesterday I hung out with a fellow GSR member duaneage and got some more work done. It is so much easier when someone has tools and spare little parts the you end up needing while you're doing the work... makes it almost fun to work on this thing. here is what we did.

used vice grips to get the intake boots off. The o-ring in there were brittle enough that they fell apart when you applied any pressure to them.

Cleaned the boots (though best practice would have been to replace them, I just don't have the $100 right now to drop) and reinstalled them with the new orings and hex-cap bolts ($10 I bought extras) with a little anti-seize on them. So when I do replace the boots it should be an easy adventure.

added some weather stripping to the air filter box. Also, added a couple bolts that had just not been there before.

Finally synced the carbs properly. And this was our "duh" moment because it took a minute to figure out why #2 was off... yea, we didn't plug the vacuum hose.

after that my biggest issue-the idle hanging-went away. We went for a quick test run around the neighborhood, but there was still a problem. Throttle response was great, but I still wasn't getting power. duaneage tweaked the air/fuel mix screws (I believe backing them out another full turn, they were only 1 1/2 out previously).

Though there is still some small issues, the ride home yesterday was simply the best ride I've ever had on this bike.

Things to still do.

Compression test - no real need to do this, just want to know
    clutch cable/ screw assembly - waiting on the part that holds the cable to the assembly should be here tuesday
    Horn - need to fix the horn button... found a guy on here that makes the button, may be able to rig the rest from radio shack parts...

everything else in my previous post has been done as well.

Comment

Torqued a bolt after oil filter change, dealt with here. Lucky and elegant result.

got the new bolt, nut and drain bolt gasket, no more oil leaking. Sweet.

Clutch cable screw assembly now has the bearing in it, so I don't have to worry about the cable just popping out.

bled the brakes (as described here), though they feel a little spongy, so I may take another swing at them.

also working on the fuel gauge, being discussed here.

speedo/tach both work now thanks to the new cables. Though the tach needle is awful wobbly while in motion.

more to come I guess...

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Lower left - they go... where the bolts go thru the sides of the headlight bucket
      this was correct, thanks...

Comment

Where in Philly are you?

I'm in Wissahickon, the far east end of Roxborough. Maro, who I've corresponded with, is in Mt. Airy. You know Duaneage from Delaware. Doug G is nearby, there's a couple guys near Lancaster, some in South Jersey. I've been fighting with a 1979 GS 1000 that's almost ready. We should organize a Philly/ SE PA ride!
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
          I'm in Wissahickon, the far east end of Roxborough. Maro, who I've corresponded with, is in Mt. Airy. You know Duaneage from Delaware. Doug G is nearby, there's a couple guys near Lancaster, some in South Jersey. I've been fighting with a 1979 GS 1000 that's almost ready. We should organize a Philly/ SE PA ride!
          You need to get that 1K on the road. Let me know if you need any help;
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Fantastic job getting the bike back on the road. This thread should be a sticky for others to read!

Haven't read about a valve adjustment yet, or maybe I missed it? Please do those valves if you haven't already, this is not an optional thing since the valves will burn if neglected.

Good luck and keep going....
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
            X