100 MPH and blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 MPH and blind

I took my 77 GS 750 out.today after a long winter of polishing the aluminum, wrenching on a new clutch and doing fork seals and such. Had to go around the street a few times to set the clutch release and get it all just right. I decided i wanted to play so i went out on I 75 and opened it up. I was nearing my exit and needed to be in the right lane. As i passed the car that was there to move over i looked back to be sure i was clear before scooting over. I was doing just a needle width over 100 at this time. As i looked my sunglasses blew off and the cold air made my eyes instantly water.. got it slowed down but that really sucked not being able to see clearly.. I absolutely drove the crap out of the bike all afternoon and had a ball!! Hit around 46 here in Detroit today and there were lots of bikes out..
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    As i looked my sunglasses blew off and the cold air made my eyes instantly water..
    No problem....just flip your helmet face shield down.......You did have a helmet on....didnt you ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

DOT approved half helmet.. i have been riding 30 years and just cant stand a full facer..just me.. I had a freaking riot today though.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

When I was about 15 Y.O. and ate about 300 feet of gravel, with my FACE,
        I learned the value of a full-face helmet and have worn one ever since.
        It REALLY sucked to not be able to kiss GF's for over a Month!
        My nose, still has a flat spot to this day. And part of my face, will never grow a beard.
        Next time, just flip down the visor.
        It could have ended very poorly for you.

JMHE,

Eric

Comment

I am not gonna ever get a full face anything..well unless she is really hot!! I have however decided to get some elastic for the next set of shades so they never blow off again!!!

Comment

I am not gonna ever get a full face anything..well unless she is really hot!! I have however decided to get some elastic for the next set of shades so they never blow off again!!!
            Get some legitimate riding goggles at least, then. They'll have a foam gasket for each eye, so nothing can get at your eyes. They all come with a headband, as far as I can tell. 20 bucks for an expensive set.

Comment

I am not gonna ever get a full face anything..
              Hopefully you will never need to reconsider. This was me last year after hitting some gravel going about 35-40 MPH in a turn.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                Hopefully you will never need to reconsider. This was me last year after hitting some gravel going about 35-40 MPH in a turn.

I've got an old Bieffe that looks about like that after tumbling about 50 yds downhill on gravel. Scratches and gouges all the way around the helmet. Still have scars on my shoulder from that and it was 20 years ago.

Comment

I had a set of those with the foam that i got from my local suzuki shop.. only thing was they just kept fogging up...is there any tricks to stop the fogging other than that " anti fogging" wipes for on gun scopes..tried that and it didnt work either.. not trying to llok or excuses here, just options and info. Have been riding 30 years and havent had any problems. womder if i should get another set from the dealer and remove the foam so they can breath. I like those goggles like the riders in Road Warriors wore..like bi plane pilots goggles.

Comment

You can get breath guards for most good helmets that will direct your breath away from the visor. The only time I ever have the visor fog is at a stand still. Then it's just a matter of flipping the shield up. Shaving cream is supposed to keep shields from fogging up. Rain-X has a product that is supposed to prevent it too.

Comment

shaving cream?? HMMM interesting. And yes thats what i meant by fogging lthose foam glasses always fogged up like at lights and such..

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                        Rain-X has a product that is supposed to prevent it too.
                        Just make sure you get the right Rain-X product.

Most of their stuff is not made for plastic that has a hardened coating, like faceshields and windshields.
                        The ingredients in Rain-X will attack the coating, making it flake of, leaving a very vulnerable soft plastic.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You could try what has always worked on scuba/skin diving masks.
                          Spit on it with a little water.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
                            When I was about 15 Y.O. and ate about 300 feet of gravel, with my FACE,
                            I learned the value of a full-face helmet and have worn one ever since.
                            It REALLY sucked to not be able to kiss GF's for over a Month!
                            My nose, still has a flat spot to this day. And part of my face, will never grow a beard.
                            Next time, just flip down the visor.
                            It could have ended very poorly for you.

JMHE,

Eric
                            AAHHHH
                            Gotcha
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Not wearing a helmet is a bad idea, You have just been lucky. I had a bad accident back in 67 had an open face helmet- common style for the time, It had a baseball size hole in the back of it. If I had been wearing No helmet or one of the 1/2 helmets so popular today I would not be here typing

Comment

Working...
                              X