First (real) ride of the season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First (real) ride of the season!

So I pulled the ol' 84 Kat 750 out of hibernation a few weeks ago in light of some very unseasonably warm weather only to chicken out when cold temps returned.

Well, today I said "to he!! with it - I'm doing it!"

Working swing shift guarantees a cold ride home, but at the end, I get to get in bed and snuggle up to my loving and very understanding wife - see my resto thread in the appearance mods section.

I'd forgotten how buttery smooth the shifting is, how perfect the position is, how liberating the fresh perspective is, and how nippy 50 degree weather is.

But hey, man it felt good!

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
    I get to get in bed and snuggle up to my loving and very understanding wife
    Keep climbing in cold and she may not be understanding for long.

Sounds good though, congrats.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Always good to get some riding in.

Eric

Comment

So I get home last night and I hear a hellacious cyclic squeal off the front end, and it feels "notchy" to roll along slowly. Chalk it up to being cold (makes no sense, I know...) and go to bed.

Come out this morning to look deeper, and I see the speedo drive rotated about 45 deg anti-clockwise, with my brand new speedo cable kinked in a very unsightly fashion!

Lift the front wheel and sure enough, its rotation is "notchy". So I pull the calipers and rotate again, still notchy.

Pull the wheel off, pull the speedo drive off, and its - you guessed it - NOTCHY! Wheel bearings feel smooth, so I put the wheel back on temporarily (without the speedo drive) and it rolls smoooove (imagine that).

So, after making a short story long, I need a new speedo drive (sigh). The joys of owning a 24 year old motorcycle...

Anybody got one off a 83 750/85 700/84-85 1150?

Comment

That Notchy feeling...

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
          So I get home last night and I hear a hellacious cyclic squeal off the front end, and it feels "notchy" to roll along slowly. Chalk it up to being cold (makes no sense, I know...) and go to bed.

Come out this morning to look deeper, and I see the speedo drive rotated about 45 deg anti-clockwise, with my brand new speedo cable kinked in a very unsightly fashion!

Lift the front wheel and sure enough, its rotation is "notchy". So I pull the calipers and rotate again, still notchy.

Pull the wheel off, pull the speedo drive off, and its - you guessed it - NOTCHY! Wheel bearings feel smooth, so I put the wheel back on temporarily (without the speedo drive) and it rolls smoooove (imagine that).

So, after making a short story long, I need a new speedo drive (sigh). The joys of owning a 24 year old motorcycle...

Anybody got one off a 83 750/85 700/84-85 1150?
          They're on ebay all the time, pretty reasonable. Great you got out!! Great you made it home in one piece too!
          Scott
          1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
          1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
          1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
          2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
          sigpic

Comment

speedometer's are overrated anyways.

That is the official take I have on my Tach atm... 2 cables last season, putting a stock valve cover gasket in this weekend but not getting another cable. The "real" gasket was a nice idea but to think and messes with the worm drive no matter what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
              speedometer's are overrated anyways.
              After not having a functional Speedo and Tach for over two years,
              I got them from a forum member this early Spring.
              The Tach, I had down pretty much within a few hundred rpm's by ear.
              The Speedo, not so much.
              What I thought was 72 mph, turns out to be about 85!!!

Whoops!

Eric

Comment

Working...
              X