Test ride on my GS850.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test ride on my GS850.

This is a post pulled from my construction thread here if you want to check out the build in more detail.

[I got some engineering advice, and found I needed to do relatively little to get my modified bike registered on the road]

After the info, I figured a testride would be in order to make a semi-final check of things I need to do before rego. With my trusty pocketbook carrying my leaving area, time of departure, milage and destination (in event of the police) I ran down to the local servo. Wobbly as hell, I figured very low tyre pressure.

I was right. The pressure in each tyre was very low so I jacked it up to 32psi front and 36psi rear. Whacked a few gallons of premium in her and off we went. Saw a parked police car coming out of the servo (ahhh!), but it was empty. I turned onto a straight backroad for home and let it rip in second. Almost fell off the back of the bike! JEEEESUS! Worked it through until fourth and then settled down into third. Took a few corners well and rode up the hill home, very much chuffed with myself.

Taking inventory now, the front brakes need attention and the gear position indicator doesn't work. The headlights need rewiring, but thats about it for the problems. Even the fuel gauge works! I'll need a dedicated fang to work out if the jetting is correct, but it felt pretty good to me just then so it'll stay as is for now. Well, enough talk, heres some pics:

Cheers guys - boingk

With the seat sloping down towards the back, falling off will be a continual problem.

When getting to know a bike, don't do anything suddenly. It is a good way to kiss pavement.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Falling off onto that spinning tire would be a permanent problem.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

put the seat on back wards lol

Comment

Yeah, its on the other way now

I just had the stock tail-loop MIG welded back in place after taking 6 inches out of the frame rails. Also, I've got guards for the front and back as they're a requirement here for road registration. Falling onto a spinning tyre shouldn't be a problem now - although getting the time to attach turn signals and take a photo of the finished bike may be!

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Working...
          X