Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First real ride..ever?

Hello all,
    So Saturday here in the Poconos of NE Pennsylvania was beautiful, so I took my older-than-me GS250 out for a ride. I'm a new rider, just got my license about 2 weeks ago, and got the bike about 2 months ago but have been working to get it running properly. After letting her warm up, I took back roads to about 3 towns over, more back roads to come back in the general direction of where I live, then again in the opposite direction through the beautiful mountains. When I came back through my town a low-flying airplane caught my attention and I spotted some skydivers, so I booked it to the small airport just in time to watch them land. I watched for a little while before heading home. Total distance was about 50 miles, not bad considering theres just over 6k on the bike and I've only put about 150 on it (Been riding back and forth to work). It was fun

Oh and the previous day, I took it out for a 15 minute ride on the highway and back. When I was about 3 blocks from home, the fuse "blew" and everything shut down..while I was in the middle of a turn. I pulled the clutch and kept it upright and parked, figured out the problem, and rode her home and replace the fuse. I don't think the fuse actually popped, I think it basically fell apart. Old electronics. But shes running fine with a good fuse now so its all good.

Hi,

Sounds like a nice day. I carry a few spare fuses in the storage area of my tail section. You just never know.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

spare fuses def make the tool bag, I found the pill containers they sell at the pharmacy work well to keep a few fuses in.

Comment

If its those old glass fuses, half the time they are broken and you can't see it. Good on you for figuring it out!
        Sounds like you are discovering the REAL joy of motorcycling - just going wherever you feel like!

Comment

Yeah its those glass fuses, and it looked ancient lol. I think it was the wrong amperage too. Bike is running fine on the correct 15A fuse. Unfortunately the GS250 has zero storage space, so I'm developing a small toolkit to keep in a backpack with me on trips. I'm having a blast with it though!

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
            I found the pill containers they sell at the pharmacy work well to keep a few fuses in.
            Another option is to go to any place that does photo printing and ask them for some 35mm film cans.
            You can get solid-colored ones or translucent white ones. They are usually happy to give you as many as you want.

Either one can be labeled, but the white ones might give you enough of a clue to tell you whether it contains fuses,
            small light bulbs, emergency matches, sun screen lotion, whatever.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X