Oh B*gger...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh B*gger...!

I knew I should have upgraded that charging system!

Luckily 30 miles back on AMA & it broke down just as I arrived where I was going so I got to do what I needed to do first.... Only pushed about 40 yards.

At home battery reading 10v & low on water... dropped a spare battery in, starts right up but voltage is variable, sometime up as high as 13.5v sometimes under 12v.

Looks like I'll probably be putting an RR & maybe a stator in this one... It already has the grounds back to the battery etc. Add it to the list with the spring valve check, Dyna S addition, re-inforced clutch basket etc

It could have picked much worse times to go out so all in I'm not too upset! It even saved me from getting wet on the way home (nice & dry in the tow truck!)

That's the first time one of my GS's hasn't got me home in about 15,000 miles combined.

Think I'm going the same route as the 750ES on this one - put one of the Mosfet regulators in it.
    Last edited by salty_monk; 04-20-2010, 08:27 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Sorry to see that. Good that you got to take care of business and good that AMA picked this one up.

Nice bike.

Quick question. What kind of shocks are those on the rear?

Comment

I pulled my AMA card out to find it had expired end of March even though I was on Auto Renew! Called them & they did it there & then so the roadside assist worked. Lucky it happened in the morning West Coast time so they were still open!

Shocks are some Ohlin's copies.
      I have a set for sale for the 1000G/850G (eye to eye) & those ones in the picture might be for sale soon. Springs are too stiff for me (at 160lb), although they are good in the twisty stuff - Los Angeles roads are terrible!

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Shocks are some Ohlin's copies.
        I have a set for sale for the 1000G/850G (eye to eye) & those ones in the picture might be for sale soon. Springs are too stiff for me (at 160lb), although they are good in the twisty stuff - Los Angeles roads are terrible!

Dan
        Well if you decide to sell let me know. I believe those look to be eye to clevis. I weigh a little bit more than you. So they would probably be good for me.

Good service from AMA. I was debating on whether or not to join. (I'm a new rider) But this has definately swayed me to yes.

Comment

The ones on the 1000 in the pic are eye to clevis
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by kelticsol View Post
            Well if you decide to sell let me know. I believe those look to be eye to clevis. I weigh a little bit more than you. So they would probably be good for me.

Good service from AMA. I was debating on whether or not to join. (I'm a new rider) But this has definately swayed me to yes.
            10% discount at Bike Bandit too! My membership has payed for itself about a brazillion times during the course of my restore.

Comment

Working...
            X