Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home sweet home

Hi all,

For those who did not read my first post, I bought my GS 650E 1982 in Feb 2010 without even start it. It was looking fairly in good shape. So last saturday I got down to Elgin Qc (100 miles from home) with the final payment for it.
    I was there pretty early in the morning and the Po had just arrived with the bike, it was storaged at about 4 miles from his father home.
    The motor was a little hesitant at first but once I put my welled charged batery on, everything sounded normal. I then hook up a voltmeter: 13v at idle and around 15 at 4k I was realy pleased. I just jump on it for a test ride.Right away I noticed something was wrong, after a few more yards I knew that the handle bar were bended at the right side. Fortunatly the guy next door owned a bike shop, I already had an appointment for tires change.
    After the money and papers exchange, I went to Monte Cristo Bike shop with my new old bike, my tires and hope to find a new handle bar. Yves (the owner) had on hand what I was looking for, I was planing to change those bars anyway. I took the wheels off the bike myself while Yves was busy with his paperwork of the week. He came along just to unmounted/mounted and balanced the tires and I put the wheels back on. There was my first wrenching about 15 min. after having bought the bike. Finaly I change the handlebar in front of the shop. All in all I have work on the bike something like 2 hours.
    Here is the best part of the day. After having pack all my gears and secured it on the passenger seat I hit the road, a few miles away I knew that I was in love. The bike runs perfectly, no backfire, it pulls hard and have a nice sound. Everything work on it. 20 miles later I stop for gas and food. I make my way back on those small backcountry roads that I had never been on, I did not care to lost myself a bit at the time, and enjoy every minutes of it. Reach home at about 4 pm and I stop smilling at bedtime later that evening.

That's it for my first GS stories.

See ya.

André
    Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2010, 09:41 PM.

Andre,

Good for you and congrats on the new bike. What a cool story. Thanks for sharing the tale

It sounds like the start of a good relationship. ) .

Have fun with that bike!

Comment

Thanks for sharing your 'grande aventure". I think you have the right stuff for GS ownership....getting stuck right into "wrenching" and wandering home over 100 miles...formidable!

The GS bikes are all solid performers and won't let you down if looked after. The first thing you want to do is make sure the charging system is working properly and unfortunately yours is not quite right. Not bad enough to be a problem just yet but if you reference the manuals, you will note that charging should not normally occur until around 3500rpm. Also, from 3500 to 5000 you shouldn't be pushing more than low 14volts max. As I understand 15+ is too high and could "cook" your battery over time.

I had the same issues with my 750 and for me it came down to corroded connectors on the R/R. Cleaning all the connectors in the charging circuit (i.e from stator, R/R, fuse block, battery terminals etc) fixed it for me. If, after cleaning things, you still get those kind of numbers, I'd be thinking about replacing the R/R.

As I'm paranoid about charging, I always put a voltage meter on all my bikes to keep an eye on things as I ride along. Cheap insurance I figure. You can get them on E-bay or at Canadian Tire or Princess Auto or the like.

Read through the Stator Papers and clean up your connections before you go too much further afield. Nothing worse than being 100 miles from home and the bike won't start again to get you home.

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Andre,

Thanks for sharing your story of picking up your bike. I have a 650g and really like it. Good luck.

Charlie G
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks for good tip, I have already clean grounds and hook the one from r/r directly to the batery. Now I will take new reading with a better voltmeter than my old needle one. I had no jumper on hand so it was hard to keep throttle steady and both probes on batery poles. I'll try to have better reading this afternoon at works.

Thanks again.

André

Comment

Great first story, Andre. I am sure your GS will provide you with many more.
            If you need tires in the future, www.petes-superbike.com in Montreal has the best prices in Canada.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Salut Andre, felicitation pour ton achat.J'ai sorti le mien hier soir.Il faisait froid mais cela a fait du bien.

hi Steve, how are you???
              Thank for sharing the link.I seen this place before but didnt know about their deals on tires.
              Marc
              AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
              1978 GS1000C X2
              1978 GS1000E X2
              1979 GS1000S
              1979 gs1000
              1983 gs400e

Comment

Working...
              X