No announcement yet.

Yes Officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a former police officer I want to say this. As with any other profession there are good ones and bad one. Most of them are out there trying to do exactly what they swore to to in some form or fashion...Protect and Serve. The rest are out there because of ego. Becomming a police officer isnt what it used to be. Its rough, and in some places rougher than basic training or boot camp. Most larger cities are requiring a college degree and POST Certification. Blah Blah Blah........What I was going to say was this. When I was a cop I decided within the first 30 seconds whether or not I was going to issue a verbal or written warning. It all depended on attitude. You give me attitude and I take money (the fine) and time (court). No attitude and you rode into the sunset with a warning. The only exception was crosswalk violations and speeding in a school zone. I gave no exceptions there. I saw it or clocked it in one of those two situations and you paided the ticket.

Comment

I wouldnt have been worried Jay. I would just have Scotty flutter his eyebrows at you or have Hap twirl his thong and you would have forgotten why you made the stop. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Jay B
      "]Being a former police officer I want to say this. When I was a cop I decided within the first 30 seconds whether or not I was going to issue a verbal or written warning. It all depended on attitude.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the story. I read over the replies and wanted to clear a few of the questions for you.

1. It was different cops
        2. I have no idea if they were playing around, if they were I'm still gald they were nice on the warnings. I've never been a very serious person. Even if they would've ticketed me I wouldnt have cared. My license would have
        3. I really thought my recounting of the whole "Pigeon" thing was better...check it out....I'd like to hear your stories of run-ins with nature.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          I wouldnt have been worried Jay. I would just have Scotty flutter his eyebrows at you or have Hap twirl his thong and you would have forgotten why you made the stop. :-) :-) :-)

Earl
          That would have made me sick and then not only would you have gotton the ticket I'd have probably hauled your butt to jail for Indecent Assualt upon a Poice Officer

Comment

Originally posted by Jay B

Earl
            That would have made me sick and then not only would you have gotton the ticket I'd have probably hauled your butt to jail for Indecent Assualt upon a Poice Officer
            Of course then you would be liable for a law suit as I'm sure that a good lawyer could show that your actions traumatized Scottie and made him fall over in his driveway repeatedly. So the court would have no choice but to appoint you Scotties guardian until death-do-you-part so that you would always be there to pick him up when he fell over.

Sounds like the type of judgments we get down here in New Mexico.

Mike

Comment

My experience in Illinois is that the State Troppers are proffesionals , while smaller municipality officers have issues. Yes, I have been stopped on occasion. To a State Tropper , I calmly ask what his radar showed and pray that he owns a bike. So..back in college..a buddy (Honda 750F) and I (KZ1000) were enjoying a Southern Illinois twisty when we were observed by a nearby Trooper. In court he testified that we were tavelling above the speed limit in close proximity to each other. The judge inquired, "Were they drag racing?" The Trooper replied "No, I think they were just getting into it". Still smile at that to this day.

Comment

One cop says one thing ..another says something different!

Yeah.....
                Some time ago I was about to install two driving lights onto my old 1000, just to be on the safe (Legal) side I swung by the local Sherrifs Department & asked the officer on duty (desk). "Is it OK to install two driving lights on my bike?" The officer flipped thru his little 'legal' book trying to find any references as to the quantity & type of headlights .....He said "At least one but no more than three".....cool I thought....So one night riding in the rain.....I turned thru a curve very thankful for my increased illumination when my lights whipped by a motorcycle cop going the opposite direction. On go the lights & I pull over...
                I explain my situation to the cop.....he wasn't going to listen to any of it as he whipped out his little book(A different one this time) to flip to a page that says no more than two lights........you just can't win sometimes!
                ......On the sensors on the road that detect the cars weight ...I found that if you flip out the kickstand and jam it at the seam (The diamond shaped area) where the tar is, the sensor will work for you.
                Rick.........

Comment

ok.... were I an officer, alone in a dark car at night. watching a cyclist fight with a traffic light sensor, not another car for miles- would I go stop him/her for running it? I think not, but the same thing happened to me. Seems to me I read in one of those two books (which contradict each other) that 30 seconds at a red light with no other vehicle in sight is called a GREEN light. I guess it's a reason (any reason) to pull a rider over and do the "attitude" test. Guess the officer would be able to save a life if say that cyclist had maybe been (ahem) drinking? Just a thought, besides, it was my wife's bike- it never trips the sensor. And no I wasnt drinking that night. I was leaving work, honest

Comment

You know what "Imweare" to this day I never thought of it that way. I mean in regards to the drinking part. You may have given me a new perspective on the whole incident, I really mean that. Just so you guys know I'm all for "The Man". Sure he can make you nervous when sitting in the rear mirror :? , but I think they're people just like you and me.

Comment

Originally posted by mdole
                      Originally posted by Jay B

Earl
                      Of course then you would be liable for a law suit as I'm sure that a good lawyer could show that your actions traumatized Scottie and made him fall over in his driveway repeatedly. So the court would have no choice but to appoint you Scotties guardian until death-do-you-part so that you would always be there to pick him up when he fell over.

Sounds like the type of judgments we get down here in New Mexico.

Mike
                      I knew you would get sick if that sort af activity occured and yes the law has MADE THE POLICE JOB DIFFICULT AS HAVE THE COURTS.
                      JB- AS MY PERSONALL BODYGUARD FOR LIFE. iF GEORGE BUSH SENOIR ONLY HAD TO KEEP HIM FO A SHORT TIME WHY SHOULD I BE PUNISED SO SEVERLY??

Comment

We've got some pretty cool Motor Cops here in Idaho, they've always got time for anyone with a question, or for a kid who digs their ride. (or a big kid like me!) I hope they wear out a few of those new BMW's they're riding real soon - I need one of those

Comment

as for the light sensors, I've seen attachments for the newer plastic bikes that are extra magnets to trip the switch (didn't try the link to induction, but it's probably all in there) just so ya's know they make something for it!!

Comment

Working...
                          X