6 outta 8 - success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 outta 8 - success!

hammer twist hammer twist hammer twist hammer twist hammer twist hammer twist - crack!

I loosened 6 out of 8 of the visible (i know there are more under the front sprocket cover) phillips/japanese standard screws on my stator cover tonight. At least 2 blisters on my hand from the hammer punch because i just couldn't do it with a glove on. Those screws have been on there for at least 30 years. I consider it a major success because I have been trying to ttrack down the electrical problem for about a year now and i think i know where it is coming from.

I also emailed Electrosport...new stator will be coming my way soon.
    stay tuned.

Just make sure to do a through check of the charging circuit too ! Specifically
    The + battery / to + regulator should be less then .5 volts

Comment

The problem with removing those screws is they aren't phillips DIN but japanese JIS standard......you need a special bit for that impact and it'll work much better.....

Comment

Not to disagree with sound advice, but I find the larger Phillips bit (#3, I think) has been working well with the impact driver. The screw material is soft enough that the impact driver "sizes" the screw. For screws you might want to keep, use the JIS.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Westward JIS?

My Westward Impact Driver has a large phillips bit that fit JIS very well, so well I find myself wondering if Westward is made in Japan/China, and it may in fact be a JIS driver bit. There are two sizes in the set too.

My (ugh) Snap-on Driver bit is definitly a phillips, sheared off (the bit, not the bolt) on the first bolt. Snap-on guy said no warranty. Well, screw him then. No more of my money is going to them. Complete waste of money.

Comment

One thing that helps is a hammer no I'm not kidding... The same force that seats a bit with an impact can be used to "unseat" the threads use and old bit and a small ball peen hammer a quick rap sometimes will make the difference. Replace with allen head or DIN phillips fasteners.....
            The force should be directly in line with the fastener....might even as someone mentioned reform the head for a better purchase!Works for any stuck fastener!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-%28japa...rivers/=7z1yx2

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Links from previous comments thanks to them for supplying that info!
            Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2010, 01:17 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

they are all off!

here's what was in there.

I had previously tried a small ball peen, and perhaps it loosened it, but what really worked was the bigger carpenters hammer and I had sprayed the bolts with penetrating oil once a week for a few weeks before really going to work on it.

The bit in the impact driver was not a Philips, it has fatter fins and a blunt tip. It fit perfectly and did not strip or slip even once.

Looks like my insulation is fried. Can anyone else provide any feedback based on this picture?

Comment

Fried?? maybe not..... char grilled definitely. Starting with the new stator and then working through the diagnostics as supplied on this forum will see you sorted in a jiffy.........

Comment

Originally posted by Jagir View Post
                  here's what was in there.

The bit in the impact driver was not a Philips, it has fatter fins and a blunt tip. It fit perfectly and did not strip or slip even once.
                  Pretty sure thats the JIS phillips bit
                  Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
                  1979 GS850GN
                  sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
                  1975-2008

Comment

Originally posted by Dunger King View Post
                    Fried?? maybe not..... char grilled definitely. Starting with the new stator and then working through the diagnostics as supplied on this forum will see you sorted in a jiffy.........
                    The "jiffy" is 7-10 business days. Ordered a few days ago...should see a new one shortly (pardon the pun)

Already been through the rest of the diagnostics - that took a year plus.

Comment

sounds like your timeframe is like mine, I am almost geological in the way I go about projects, very little happens for a long time and then there is a massive surge of frantic activity.........

Comment

Working...
                      X