I will never doubt again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will never doubt again

Was out in Millinocket which is 40 or so miles from home. Gassed up and she wouldn't start. Not even turn over, just click. Battery was flatter than a Bud left open for a week. Push started it and headed her home. No signals and no stopping. In fact, she started to stumble anytime the RPMs got below 2K or I forgot and turned on the signal. Well, the old girl made the trip and quit just as I was rolling into the driveway. When I started checking it out, I found that the stator was only making 27 volts on one leg. The other two were dead. I will never doubt her again. She is fixed and charging 14.5 again. Don't think the battery will ever be the same tho. I think she just wanted to make it home as much as me to her warm garage. Fine machine!

Originally posted by 83-1100-laverne View Post
    Was out in Millinocket which is 40 or so miles from home. Gassed up and she wouldn't start. Not even turn over, just click. Battery was flatter than a Bud left open for a week. Push started it and headed her home. No signals and no stopping. In fact, she started to stumble anytime the RPMs got below 2K or I forgot and turned on the signal. Well, the old girl made the trip and quit just as I was rolling into the driveway. When I started checking it out, I found that the stator was only making 27 volts on one leg. The other two were dead. I will never doubt her again. She is fixed and charging 14.5 again. Don't think the battery will ever be the same tho. I think she just wanted to make it home as much as me to her warm garage. Fine machine!
    Give the old girl a break and get a Compu-fire R/R (search); you wont have these problems anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Give the old girl a break and get a Compu-fire R/R (search); you wont have these problems anymore.
      I already replaced both the stator and the R/R with Electosport units. Charging 14.5 at the battery. This seems a bit high to me. I did all recommended cleaning and upgrades listed in the stator papers, Ie: wiring the stator direct to the R/R along with the grounding wire and so on. It seems like everything is much brighter now. Headlight and so on. I have read up on the posts here regarding the Compu-Fire R/R. Had I seen this before I opted for the ES unit, I would have gone that route. I don't know if 14.5 is too high but I have ridden it 100 or so miles and the battery doesn't seem to be boiling. Wrong forum to get into this on so thanks for the advice.If the ES unit gives up or proves to be problematic, I will go with the Compu-Fire for sure. Ride safe.

Comment

I already replaced both the stator and the R/R with Electosport units. Charging 14.5 at the battery. This seems a bit high to me.
        14.5 volts is just fine.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

14.5 volts is spot on where you want it.

Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If your panel that mounts the R/R is rubber mounted, it's a good idea to add a few ground wires from the R/R to the chassis. A wise old Suzuki tech commented to me that lack of grounding was a primary reason so many Suzuki Stators cooked themselves.

BTW glad you made it home, Millinocket is a awesome town for sledding in winter, been there many times !

Comment

Now that you got the bugs worked out you should give it another test run up to Moosehead this weekend.

Comment

Working...
              X