Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simon and Deb's Excellent Adventure ........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    Catfish! No way! I'd go the flounder though, but not sure about having it fried...
    Just curious....why not?
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Catfish! No way! I'd go the flounder though, but not sure about having it fried...
      Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
      Just curious....why not?
      Good question...

For the record, much of the catfish eaten in the states is farm raised and corn feed...

Now...more pictures, please....
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yea, when you passed over those miles upon miles of farms, what you didnt realize is most of that is not for human consumption. We grow ungodly amounts of corn that mostly is fed to animals for meat, or its processed into high fructose corn syrup that is in nearly ever processed food and drink, or used to make biodiesel that is now being mixed into home heating fuel.

Glad you had a good time and met lots of great folks.

It is funny how some foods are repulsive to some and a delicacy to others. Maine still has laws in the books that say you cant feed to much lobster to inmates as it used to be considered a poor mans food and was an easy way to feed prisoners. Somewhere along the lines it became cool to eat the trash cleaner of the ocean floor.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
          Just curious....why not?
          You know, the only answer I can give you is that here, noone eats it, and would think you were insane to do so.

That's what I got brought up with and everyone else got brought up with, but I don't know if there's a scientific reason for it...
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by RageZro View Post
            Ok more ride shots,
            Great Photos of the road, and the ride. I like the "on the bike" shots that include road ahead and view in mirror of road and bikes behind.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for posting up the story and photos. For the record.. I won't eat cat fish either. Damn ugly!

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks for the pics Kat and Jim .
                Time to fess up ............
                When we got back to Aus , in a jetlagged oblivion , I down loaded all our pics onto the computer . Somehow , I managed to delete about 40% of them . Not real sure how , but I did . I also seemed to have deleted many of the best ones .
                Please feel free (you to Bonita) to put up as many as you like because , we don't seem to have that many left . We'll have to come back again next year and do it all over again .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                  We'll have to come back again next year and do it all over again .
                  Dang it!! You mean we didn't scare you off?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Dang it!! You mean we didn't scare you off?

Nope . You shouldn't have been so damn friendly . We'll give you another chance next May . Bring it on , scary man's and woman's . .

Cheers , Simon .

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                      We'll give you another chance next May.
                      Brown County??
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                        Brown County??
                        That's the plan .

Cheers , Simon .

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                          Thanks for posting up the story and photos. For the record.. I won't eat cat fish either. Damn ugly!

cg
                          Mmmmmm...Catfish! And for the record, I've never eaten a catfish that tasted better than one caught in the wild, not farm-raised or corn-fed or any of that other stuff. You folks downunder apparently don't know what you're missing.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

You know, the only answer I can give you is that here, noone eats it, and would think you were insane to do so.
                            There are a lot of fish that used to be considered "trash" fish on the American market, but are now becoming more popular, partly due to overfishing of the formerly more abundant, better-known species, some of which are now actually near extinction. Our grandchildren may not be able to get bluefin tuna or swordfish at any price. My guess is that both the catfish, and the tilapia (a tropical fresh-water species) on sale at that Appalachian Mountain cafe our Aussie adventurers stopped in at, were probably local, farm-raised fish.

Nobody ever heard of "monkfish" until a few years ago. Have you ever seen what one of them buggers actually looks like, _before_ they get filletted? "Monkfish" is a new, marketing-neutral name for what used to be called "anglerfish." Here's a pic:

Not to mention that Kiwi favorite, Orange Roughy, formerly known as "slimehead," which has become wildly popular in the US in recent years. Here's one of them:

And, how about "Chilean Sea Bass," formerly known as "Patagonian toothfish"? It too, was formerly a "trash" fish, and then became so popular it has been overfished almost to extinction in just a few years:

That's what I got brought up with and everyone else got brought up with, but I don't know if there's a scientific reason for it...
                            It's purely socialization, what you're brought up to be used to. None of it has anything to do with how good these species taste to eat, or how healthful their meat is for you to eat. Being a bottom-feeder vs. a pelagic, open-water predator has nothing to do with the healthfulness of eating the flesh of these sea creatures.

We Americans make fun of French people for eating land snails, and tree fungus, but how is that different from the seagoing mollusks and pretty, freestanding mushrooms Americans love to eat? We go _ugh_ at people eating arthropods (grasshoppers and other bugs) on those "survivor" reality shows, but how is that different from crabs and lobsters - "Water bugs?"

Sorry if I ruined anybody's dinner plans.

Comment

Well.....if there's any catfish that noone wants, send it to me.

Preferably deep-fried with some tartar sauce.

And, I'm not sure about Aussie's in Brown County......we're really going to confuse the "locals". Although they may just think that the accent is from a few hills over.
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I didn't realise that the catfish reference would raise so much comment . I guess that we're lucky down here in that we still have plenty of "quality" species of wild caught fish to choose from . When you can choose from coral trout , red emporer , salmon etc, etc, etc , why would you eat a lesser fish . I think we are talking different species anyway . Our catfish are saltwater , slimy and the flesh has a real grey look to it . Talapia here are small aquarium fish that have been flushed into the wild . Small , agressive fish that destroy native habitat and species .

When we come back , I will make a point of trying both species . I should have done so this time , but ........................... Now a good grasshopper fillet really gets me going .

Cheers , Simon .

Comment

Working...
                                X