Oct 9 Ride (with Pics) in western OK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oct 9 Ride (with Pics) in western OK.

A couple of weeks ago, I made a solo ride through western Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle. Saturday, my wife went with me and we visited one of the locations I had seen on the earlier ride -- Cheyenne, OK.

We stopped at the City Park to have a picnic lunch and took pictures of some of the flowers still blooming in October.

We also looked around at the complex of museums, pretty amazing for a small town. There is a log cabin, a restored Santa Fe RR depot, a one-room schoolhouse, a country church, and an early home, all moved to the site from their original locations and restored. In addition, there is a Veteran's Museum and a Pioneer Museum with great displays. The museums were closed (sign said open, but they weren't) so we couldn't go in.

After a quick fuel stop, we headed just outside of town to the National Park Service's Black Kettle Visitor Center near the site of the Battle of the Wash1ta (fie on the profanity filter here, which won't even allow the spelling of a non-profane geographical location!).

We then rode 1/2 mile to the site of the Battle itself, in which Custer and some of the 7th Cavalry staged a pre-dawn raid on the sleeping Cheyenne village of Chief Black Kettle and slaughtered 40 or so Cheyenne, many shot in the back, and many of whom were women and children. Ironically and tragically, the village was the wrong one. The village containing the raiding Cheyenne warriors that was supposed to be the target of Custer's attack was several miles away.

At the battle site, we took a hike on the Interpretive Trail, which weaves through the village and points out significant parts of the battle site.

There were many wildflowers still in bloom:

The Wash1ta River near the massacre site:

The water is very clear this time of year.

One of the ridges behind which Custer's troops hid until dawn:

Tall prairie grass near the area where the 875 ponies owned by Black Kettle's village were slaughtered by Custer's men.

Native sunflower (about 7 feet tall):

Comment

Fall foliage is beginning to be colorful in western Oklahoma:

The best part of the trip was my wife saying, "I think I'm about ready to go on a long bike trip with you."
      Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2010, 01:57 PM. Reason: duplicate pic removed

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the moto photo journal, I love being able to 'travel' that way! Best to you and your wife on future journeys
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Nice report there, trumpetguy.

Just goes to show others that western OK is not all desert and desolation.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Daniel

Comment

Great pictures...Thank you again
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Nice report there, trumpetguy.

Just goes to show others that western OK is not all desert and desolation.

My wife said it looks desolate to her. Did you see any operating gas stations or restaurants in those scenery shots? She said it looked just like my ND/MT/UT traveling photos.... I know she'd be worrying about where the gas station might be......

She did give very large bonus points for the flower pictures, but when she saw your wife was riding pillion, she figured there was a little added push to take those photos instead of vehicle and interesting old structure photos..........
                Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                  My wife said it looks desolate to her. Did you see any operating gas stations or restaurants in those scenery shots? She said it looked just like my ND/MT/UT traveling photos.... I know she'd be worrying about where the gas station might be......

She did give very large bonus points for the flower pictures, but when she saw your wife was riding pillion, she figured there was a little added push to take those photos instead of vehicle and interesting old structure photos..........
                  LOL

I don't like taking pictures with man-made structures if I can avoid it! Those look the same EVERYWHERE! Nature is different everywhere, even if only a little different. Less than two miles from all the photos is the small town of Cheyenne with a couple of motels, a couple of restaurants, two operating gas stations, and even flush toilets!

Occasionally I'll take photos of interesting old buildings, but new ones are so generic. Maybe that's why I like my old motorcycle, too -- it's not generic!

Comment

Working...
                  X